"Cloud Atlas" - worst movie of the year (according to Time Magazine)

filmmusic

"John Carter" - 2nd place.
Here's the list:

10. One For The Money
9. The Odd Life Of Timothy Green
8. What To Expect When You're Expecting
7. Alex Cross
6. The Lorax
5. This Means War
4. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
3. Hyde Park on Hudson
2. John Carter
1. Cloud Atlas

http://movieline.com...azine-rebuttal/

CLOUD ATLAS's biggest crime is that is one of those annual 'philosopher' flicks ('sorcerer' for the us citizens?) that present kitchen calendar wisdoms as deep and heavy stuff to think about.

Apart from that it's well made and a feast for the eyes. I'm certain JOHN CARTER is a bigger chore to sit through.

Haven't see Cloud Atlas (as it opens in February), but John Carter is far from terrible. Nothing groundbreaking or fresh, but enjoyable in any case.

People seem to confuse the film with its marketing campaign, it seems. Why this doesn't even remotely surprise me?

Karol

CLOUD ATLAS's biggest crime is that is one of those annual 'philosopher' flicks ('sorcerer' for the us citizens?) that present kitchen calendar wisdoms as deep and heavy stuff to think about.

Apart from that it's well made and a feast for the eyes. I'm certain JOHN CARTER is a bigger chore to sit through.

Indeed. Cloud Atlas was far from perfect, but it was enjoyable to watch, certainly more than John Carter (which again isn't a bad movie, but as publicist said, its a chore to sit through).

RT consensus says: Its sprawling, ambitious blend of thought-provoking narrative and eye-catching visuals will prove too unwieldy for some, but the sheer size and scope of Cloud Atlas are all but impossible to ignore.

Doesn't sound bad.

Karol

I thoroughly enjoyed John Carter.

Also the Odd Life of Timothy Green is a very good movie.

What a completely asinine list.

Sent from Tapatalk

John Carter was bloody awful. The worst film I've seen in a long time. A film completely devoid of atmosphere, pacing, and interest. I couldn't wait for it to end. Anyone defending this piece of crap makes me despair for the future of film-making.

Cloud Atlas had its faults, but ultimately it was a hugely entertaining film.

John Carter was bloody awful. The worst film I've seen in a long time. A film completely devoid of atmosphere, pacing, and interest. I couldn't wait for it to end. Anyone defending this piece of crap makes me despair for the future of film-making.

Screw you!

Your opinion is wrong.

Sent from Tapatalk

John Carter wasn't bad, and I'm sure Cloud Atlas isn't either

Here's the worse movies I've seen this year. Soulless films that don't entertain on any level.

Total Recall

Dark Shadows

Ghost rider 2

Underworld 4

And that's from someone who thinks Battleship was alright

The biggest mistake of John Carter is that it mixes too many of the books. It ruins some good points of the original book and manages to fix some of the worst from the book by ignoring that completely. It's a mixed bag. It's however less embarrassing to watch than other recent takes on its "genre" so to speak. The film manages to crack a few moments where magic comes through.

In the books there were other alternatives that would have been more surprising for a first film instead of Stanton's random take on the Sith lords. The idea of an atmosphere factory that breaks down, for example. John Carter is a constant show off of things that could have been awesome if they'd stopped to think about what they had there, but I believe they their mind too occupied on sequels. For example, the violent, barbaric, almost over the top nature of the Thark could have been explored more, and it could have been really fun. But the problem with the film is that everything feels like a side character in its own film.

Only seen John Carter, and for the enjoyment I got from it, it deserves that place.

Had the sound not been deafeningly loud (we were too close to the screen - it was a preview screening and the good seats reserved for 'press'), I'd have taken a nap somewhere around the scene with the monsters in the arena. That gives an idea of how engaged I was.

And that Abe Lincoln being on there seems to be missing the point, or so I would assume.

Its not Spielberg's Lincoln but the vampire film.

I think such lists also depend on what the films were trying to be. And I doubt the folks behind Twilight wanted it to be more than it ended up being.

And Dark Knight Rises is a fantastic film. Claiming otherwise is really, really stupid.

And that Abe Lincoln being on there seems to be missing the point, or so I would assume.

Its not Spielberg's Lincoln but the vampire film.

Yes, I know.

I should have quoted Wojo...but it was probably a joke of his.

Anyway glad that it isn't Spielbergs film on that list (so far...)

The Dark Knight had at least the great performance by Health Ledger, otherwise the story and editing was a mess. I was constantly having trouble figuring what was going on