The Fury Complete Isolated Score available on Blu Ray by Twilight Time and Arrow

filmmusic

The John Williams scored film "The Fury" will be released for the first time in Bluray in March from Twilight Time (let me remind you that this is the company that sells exclusively from Screenarchives, and releases limited editions of 3.000 Blurays each.
All of their releases (except for one) have isolated score tracks!
So, maybe this has as well! :D

They confirmed the release on their facebook page, and say that it's a recent transfer that looks fab!
(This will be released at the same date with Christine which is expected to sell out very quickly!)

edit: Wow, they confirmed that it'll have an isolated score track!!!
I thought they needed Williams' consent for that!

Awesome!

Williams has no contractual right to block an isolated score anywhere. An isolated score track is legally considered an alternate audio mix of the film, there are no special rights required to do one.

Great news! :)

And I am sure they will re-release The Fury soon enough on CD as well if the trend continues.

That's awesome. Not only is this a film that really deserves an isolated score (not for ripping the music - for seeing the movie with only the music and seeing how perfectly they complete each other), I also consider it De Palma's most underrated film. I hadn't even dared to hope for a Blu release, let alone one with a new transfer.

I have to say that all Twilight Time releases I have (6) are top notch in video/audio quality (except for Demetrius and the Gladiators).

So this is a certain purchase from me.

(also want to buy Christine, and Nicholas and Alexandra which is released the previous month. Now I'm looking forward to my Blue Lagoon shipment)

• 1 month later...

I find the movie very underrated, but regardless of that, surely you can't deny that the way the music supports the visuals, and the way the film actively makes the score a narrative voice are second to none.

I really wish they would not have gotten away from doing isolated scores on DVD (and now BD). I understand why they've mostly stopped doing it, but it was one of the things that I was initially most excited about when the format started.

• 2 weeks later...

It is expensive, and far more than I'd normally pay for a Blu-ray. But I still count the film among my favourites, and it's unlikely to get another Blu release, let alone a cheaper one.

There's nothing we really need from this score. True, film mix, but unfortunately you get film edits.

I don't get this, doesn't the soundtrack already has the film mix? (and the rescored album).

The CD has the actual film score cues in their complete form as opposed to the way they are presented in the film; looped, edited, fadeouts etc etc.

Not too enamored with the film and have the 2 disc set so I'll skip this one.

As far as the listening experience goes, I'm not too keen on the actual film tracks, as the LSO's album performance is far superior. But as a film score, and a film with score, The Fury has numerous scenes that rank among the very best marriages of film and original music. I don't find the film as a film as bad as most do (the plot has its hysteric moments, but there have been worse plots in much more popular films), but even if you dislike the film itself, surely a film music fan can still enjoy the various set pieces - most of which barely need an isolated score track, since there's hardly any sound but the music in them anyway.

But as I said, I like the movie. A lot. Joey may kill me for this, but I prefer it to Carrie.

Christine sold out in less than a day!! Someone at FSm says, in 7 hours! Wow!!

Now it is sold for over $100 at ebay! :angry:

thank heavens i managed to get a copy of this, along with The Fury and Nicholas & Alexandra.

You know, I really want this, but $30 is about 5x what I pay for a typical blu ray. Torn!

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/23997

Twilight Time is sort of like Criterion in that they are a specialty film label. Criterion is just insanely better in everything they do so I have no issue coughing up $20+ for their releases.

I wonder if this means a reissue of the 2 disc set from another label might be coming........

??

Didn't you hear the news? Or you wrote this before it was announced?

edit: oh, ok. You wrote this some minutes before the announcement here! Talk about timing! :D

As far as the listening experience goes, I'm not too keen on the actual film tracks, as the LSO's album performance is far superior. But as a film score, and a film with score, The Fury has numerous scenes that rank among the very best marriages of film and original music. I don't find the film as a film as bad as most do (the plot has its hysteric moments, but there have been worse plots in much more popular films), but even if you dislike the film itself, surely a film music fan can still enjoy the various set pieces - most of which barely need an isolated score track, since there's hardly any sound but the music in them anyway.

But as I said, I like the movie. A lot. Joey may kill me for this, but I prefer it to Carrie.

It's a terrible film, terribly acted, Douglas is simple horrible. Amy Irving is decent, Andrew Stevens is terrible, John cassavettes makes the film tolerable to watch the first time and his ultimate fate is interesting.

not one of Brian's well directed films, the story is incoherent. John's score is very good but it's not a horror score, not in the sense of say Christopher Young's score in Drag Me to Hell. Brian would have served the film better to have used Pino instead of John. I do like Brian's placement of music in his films, it is often the voice in particular scenes.

But M, you have preferred this film for a long time and if you love it that's great. I seem to recall Neil has a fondness for it as well.

I wonder if this means a reissue of the 2 disc set from another label might be coming........

??

Didn't you hear the news? Or you wrote this before it was announced?

edit: oh, ok. You wrote this some minutes before the announcement here! Talk about timing! :D

It was a joke, I posted it last night, probably 7 hours after the announcement.

• 4 weeks later...

I just have in my hands the Fury and i have some kind of news!

The isolated score track features the recording sessions!!

I mean before every cue starts, you have some seconds with someone announcing the reel number etc. and you can hear John Williams in the background, either counting the meter, giving instructions, or at a couple of instances i checked, he kind of sang the beginnig of the cue!

Blu-ray.com has posted a review and this is what the reviewer says about the score:

I'm about to commit an unforgivable blasphemy, but I personally feel this is one of Williams' very few misfires as a film composer. Your mileage hopefully will vary.

The score receives near unanimous praise but the music as heard in the film seems to divide people somewhat. I guess the sensibility and sensitivity to music as narrative tool in this movie either impresses or seems too overt.

But I really need to see this film now to make up my own mind on the matter.

Come on Stefan! Think of the isolated score track with music and studio noise! Think about it!

I will look for the dirt cheap DVD release of the film first and if I am impressed I might consider the Blu-ray.

Got it today, and watched it today (in regular movie mode). It looks excellent, much better than I'd dared to hope this movie would ever look on home video. The score sounds great as well.

I'll pick this up if it turns up in the discount bin sometime

it won't ever turn up in the discount bin, because it's a limited edition of 3000 copies.

If it's out of print, you'll probably find it in 3 or 4 times higher price!

unless, someone from non-US territories releases another Bluray of it.