Has anyone noticed a bit of Battlestar in Phantom Menace?

welshslider

Just posted on my blog about what I believe is a bit of Battlestar in The Phantom Menace soundtrack. I was listening to the expanded edition of TPM the other day and came across the part on the track entitled "Anakin Is Free." There is a definite similarity between the two. I've put the two vids on my post but will post here if you want. Not sure if its been noticed before or even if its just me. what do you think?

http://www.thebeardedtrio.com/2012/12/does-john-williams-pay-homage-to.html

Rob

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I never noticed that before, but I think it's too similar to be a coincidence. He could have written anything he wanted there, or changed it up to be similar while changing an interval or the length of the long note before the melody concludes, but he didn't.

I never noticed that before, but I think it's too similar to be a coincidence. He could have written anything he wanted there, or changed it up to be similar while changing an interval or the length of the long note before the melody concludes, but he didn't.

I have to agree that it is too similar to be a coincidence. Maybe John Williams is a bit of a Lorne Greene fan :)

The first six pitches of the phrase are identical, and the rhythm of the entire 10-note phrase is identical. It definitely jumps out at me as being the Battlestar theme. I am sure it's probably a coincidence, or maybe the theme was rattling around in Johnny's subconscious when he was composing TPM. I am 100% sure it is not intentional though.

The first six pitches of the phrase are identical, and the rhythm of the entire 10-note phrase is identical. It definitely jumps out at me as being the Battlestar theme. I am sure it's probably a coincidence, or maybe the theme was rattling around in Johnny's subconscious when he was composing TPM. I am 100% sure it is not intentional though.

Considering the man was writing an over 2 hour score in 3 months I don't think he had time to think about these things in terms of homages. That particular section needed to be noble and that is what the phrase sounds like but it is hardly intentional. And I actually never noticed the similarity although it is clearly there.

Right, it's not intentional, because John Williams is above writing homages to cheesy science fiction themes in his music. What nerve someone would have to insult him like that.

Right, it's not intentional, because John Williams is above writing homages to cheesy science fiction themes in his music. What nerve someone would have to insult him like that.

Well you can certainly think it as an homage if it makes you feel better and the world is in more balance then.

Why would Williams put a 10 sec homage to Battlestar in a scene that is probably completely unrelated to the franchise? And as Incanus said, Williams probably didn't have time to think about homages.

So I'm 100% sure that this was not intentional. Methinks we have a coincidence here.

I'm never 100% sure of anything until I hear it from the man himself. Anything else is just idle speculation.

Are you sure Williams even remembers what Battlestar Galactica is? Or Episode I for that matter?

Didn't Fox make JW visit the recording sessions of Battlestar to make sure they weren't copying from Star Wars? So maybe he heard the theme there, and he subconsciously remembered it in TPM.

Didn't Fox make JW visit the recording sessions of Battlestar to make sure they weren't copying from Star Wars? So maybe he heard the theme there, and he subconsciously remembered it in TPM.

Was that not the Stu Phillips Battlestar Galactica though?

Did you think that Willliams was being accused of copying the 2004 BSG music in his score to 1999's The Phantom Menace?

I edited my post because I remembered who I was dealing with.

Don't forget, this is the crew that wanted to crucify Muse by their nutsacks for ripping off John Williams' Temple of Doom music in one of their songs, but when JW inadvertently quotes an obscure sci-fi main theme in his score, it's shrugged off as being 100% non-intentional.

Did you think that Willliams was being accused of copying the 2004 BSG music in his score to 1999's The Phantom Menace?

I though Bear McCreary was the composer of 2004 BSG?

I am confused.

Total coincidence. I'm not even sure I'd call it that because it is quite different. However, Williams himself did conduct Phillips' theme for the Outof this World CD, so we know he's familiar with it.

If you Really want to hear a Battlestar ripoff, listen to Lee Holdridge's theme to the .

I though Bear McCreary was the composer of 2004 BSG?

I am confused.

Are you aware that in 1978, Stu Phillips wrote music for a TV series called Battlestar Galactica? It ran for a few years and had a majestic main title evocative of John Williams' own majestic Star Wars main title, but quite different. Are you also aware that the year 1999 takes place after 1978, but before 2003 when the re-imagined mini-series debuted? Richard Gibbs is credited with the music for this initial installment, while Bear McCreary picked up the pen for the four seasons that followed. I haven't studied the scores closely enough (yet) to know who wrote what.

This is actually total coincidence. I have always heard that passage as a variation of the secondary theme of star wars.

Exactly. He's not intentionally quoting BG. Just using a variation of a section of the main star wars fanfare and masking it because he didn't want all of the OT themes to be fully developed in TPM. Though that said, I can't recall it appearing in AOTC or ROTS. Aside from the opening crawl and the credits, it doesn't appear much in the OT films either. I know he uses it during the chasm crossfire and the throne room in ANH. I think it also shows up once or twice on Hoth in TESB. Maybe I'm forgetting a spot or two.