The trailers are nothing like the film, tonally. There is no "MI:2"-style electric guitar. It's an orchestral score, through-and-through. I'd even say the trailers play up Cruise's "Cruise-iness" in a way that the film almost goes out of it's way to avoid...

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what it is, but lately it seems like you guys are falling into the marketing traps of trailers. Could just be me, but I see right through them and get the gist of the true feel of a film, or maybe just because I knew it was McQuarrie. Like Elvis said, the trailer amps up the "Tom Cruise Action Star!" vibe with the editing and the music, but it all boils down to McQuarrie's script and direction. I'd very happily use this film as an example of how a good screenplay is the quintessential ingredient of a movie.

• 1 month later...

Check out my own interview with Joe Kraemer about Jack Reacher and many other things (including some gushing comments about JW ;))

Hope you'll enjoy!

http://www.colonnesonore.net/contenuti-speciali/interviste/2418-reaching-back-to-the-classic-film-score-interview-with-joe-kraemer.html

Wow! I was considering asking him for an interview but now I don't have to - that was very comprehensive and insightful!

Speaking of Reacher, I finally listened to it recently and quite frankly, thought it was great. It's a score you probably have to be in the right mood to enjoy properly (or at least, not the wrong mood), but I loved the moody atmosphere and thumping bass. Really made me want to see the movie to gain the further appreciation for it I usually do when seeing a film to a score I like (knowing what actions the music was written for).

Finally I must say that while I was enjoying the score CD the whole time, by the time I got to the end credits... wow! :worship: The end credits cue of Jack Reacher is easily one of the best cues of the year, hands down. What a powerhouse!

The bonus track that plays after it (that is exclusive to the LLL CD and not part of the download version) ends up being anticlimactic coming after the powerhouse end credits cue. Does anybody know where it belongs in the score proper?

I do like that Kraemer seemed to put a lot of thought into album arrangement, it all flows extremely well.

I think it plays exactly before the end credits.

As for the score. While I appreciate it for its texture and all, it's one of those albums I forget it's on after 10 minutes.

It's ok. But nothing like the press release says. I should have known by know not to trust those...

Karol

Wow! I was considering asking him for an interview but now I don't have to - that was very comprehensive and insightful!

Speaking of Reacher, I finally listened to it recently and quite frankly, thought it was great. It's a score you probably have to be in the right mood to enjoy properly (or at least, not the wrong mood), but I loved the moody atmosphere and thumping bass. Really made me want to see the movie to gain the further appreciation for it I usually do when seeing a film to a score I like (knowing what actions the music was written for).

Finally I must say that while I was enjoying the score CD the whole time, by the time I got to the end credits... wow! :worship: The end credits cue of Jack Reacher is easily one of the best cues of the year, hands down. What a powerhouse!

Is this the cue you are talking about?

Why don't I hear anything special or jaw dropping?

Here's a cue sheet for the score to Jack Reacher, including which cues make up the album.

FILM CUES:

1m0 Opening Logos

1m1 Six Shots
1m2 The Investigation (recorded in 4 parts 1,2a, 1m2b, 1m2c, 1m2d)
1m3 Who The Hell Is Jack Reacher?
1m4 Don’t Bleed On Me, Bitch! (very short, sound-effecty cue)
1m5 I Came Here To Bury Him
1m7 That Puff Of Pink Mist
1m8 My Lead Investigator (split into two parts for the final recording - 1m8a, 2m8b - 2m8b starts with the french horn solo)
2m9a Look At Him Objectively
2m9b Reacher At The Waterfront
2m10 The Gazette Did A Nice Piece On Her
2m13 So Was I, Last Week (very similiary to 1m4, sound effecty)
2m14 Who Hired You (moved to reel 3)
2m15 Always The Bullet (moved to reel 3)
3m16 What Did You Learn (moved to reel 2)
3m17 You Buy Them On The Way Home (a la 1m4, sound effecty - moved to reel 2)
3m18 It Must Stay Clean (omitted, never even written)
3m19 Eyewitness Testimony (a la 1m4, sound effecty)
3m21 Get Out Of Town Sandy
4m22 Wipe That Phone
4m23 Am I Stealing Your Car?
4m24 Barr is Innocent
4m25 Get Some Of That Freedom
4m26 To Hide One Specific Target
4m27 Do It Here

4m27b Are You Smart? (ommited from the final film but included on the cd)
4m28 Three Rivers Motel (omitted from the film, never recorded, sketched but never orchestrated or copied out)
5m29 I Stole Your Car
5m31 Down Range
5m32 You’re A Little Rusty Mr. Reacher
5m33 I Always Liked Him
5m34 Protective Custody
5m35 Don’t Taze Me Emerson
6m38 Drink Your Blood From A Boot
6m39 I See Defiance In Your Eyes
6m40 Wrong Trailer
6m41 The Fight
6m42 The One Piece That Just Didn’t Fit
7m43 Prisoner Human Being
7m44 Get Her Number Let’s Go
7m45 Jack Reacher
7m46 End Credits

CD CONTENTS:

1. 1m0 - 1m1 Main Title
2. 1m3-5m31-5m32-5m33 Who's Jack Reacher
3. 1m5-2m14-1m2c-1m2d The Investigation
4. 1m7-3m21-2m8b-1m8a Barr and Helen
5. 2m10-2m15 Farrier and the Zec
6. 2m9-4m22-4m27 The Riverwalk
7. 3m16 Helen's Story
8. 4m24-4m25-4m26 Evidence
9. 4m27b-5m29-5m34-5m35 Helen In Jeopardy
10. 6m39-6m38-6m40 The Quarry Sequence
11. 6m42-6m41-7m44 Showdown
12. 7m45-7m46 Finale & End Credits
13. 7m43-1m2a-1m2b-3m17-4m23 Prisoner Human Being
14 1m0-1m1-7m46 Suite From Jack Reacher

EDIT: I've updated these notes to reflect Jason's questions and fix typos from the original sheets

In the final movie, reel 2 and 3 had scenes moved around. the final order of cues would actually be:

2m8b My Lead Investigator (pt 2)

2m9a Look At Him Objectively
2m9b Reacher At The Waterfront
2m10 The Gazette Did A Nice Piece On Her
2m13 So Was I, Last Week

3m16 What Did You Learn
3m17 You Buy Them On The Way Home
2m14 Who Hired You
2m15 Always The Bullet
3m19 Eyewitness Testimony
3m21 Get Out Of Town Sandy

Very cool, thanks for sharing! Some questions, however!

-You say that OST track 4 ends with 2m8B then 1m8A, however in the complete cue list neither of those cues are listed, just a 1m8. Does that mean that 1m8 was recorded in 2 parts, and the OST contains the second half of the cue, and then the first half?

-You say OST track 9 starts with 4m27b, which is also not in the complete cue list above. But you did say that OST track 6 already contains all of 4m27?

-You say that for OST track 13, 1M2 is in the middle somewhere but you already said OST track 3 contains all of 1m2?

-What's the title of 7m46?

-You list 14 tracks for the OST, but the CD only has 13 tracks? Where can "Suite From Jack Reacher" be found?

Yeah, Suite from Jack Reacher is on the iTunes and Amazon digital download albums. Apparently LaLa Land did the cd and Paramount did the digital and each entity wanted its own exclusive bonus track.

The good news is the Suite is really just an edit of tracks already on the album, whereas the cd bonus is actually new material. So you can make a lossless version of the digital-only bonus yourself by editing it yourself if you wanted.

Re: cue titles, let me see:

-You say that OST track 4 ends with 2m8B then 1m8A, however in the complete cue list neither of those cues are listed, just a 1m8. Does that mean that 1m8 was recorded in 2 parts, and the OST contains the second half of the cue, and then the first half?

Yes - 1m8 actually ended up being split across a reel change when the film was rebalanced after spotting. So 1m8 became 1m8a and 2m8b. For whatever reason, JK inverted the two halves for the album.

-You say OST track 9 starts with 4m27b, which is also not in the complete cue list above. But you did say that OST track 6 already contains all of 4m27?

4m27b was omitted from the film. It was a soft cue that helped play up potential romance between Reacher and Helen. When the romance was downplayed in the final cut, they also dropped this cue. OST track 6 contains of all of 4m27 (a separate cue from 4m27b).

-You say that for OST track 13, 1M2 is in the middle somewhere but you already said OST track 3 contains all of 1m2?

No, OST track 3 is actually 1m2c and 1m2d. OST track 13 uses 1m2a and 1m2b. 1m2 was recorded in 4 parts due to the fact it was spotted before the pic locked and there were lots of tiny changes in this sequence.

Sorry. The notes I had from the cd assembly were not fully detailed.

-What's the title of 7m46?

7m46 is titled End Credits. It was written explicity for the credits, instead of using an edit of cues from the film. For the suite, JK basically cut the opening of the score (and cd) to the bulk of the end credits.

The cue list was made to the version of the film JK spotted too, while the cd assembly notes were made using the final cue numbers. Also, when JK spotted the movie, 3m16 was in reel 3 (obviously), but in the final movie, it was in reel 2. (before 2m14)

Awesome, thanks for that info and all the new info you put into your above post. Great stuff! Seems like we basically have the complete score minus the sound effects-y cues

• 2 months later...

Here's a cue sheet for the score to Jack Reacher, including which cues make up the album.

Wow, thanks! Didn't know before what a mess the OST actually is in terms of cue merging and film order. I wonder what cues like 4M28 would have sounded like. Hopefully we see the demo one day.

• 7 months later...

Tom Cruise and Paramount are developing a follow-up to Jack Reacher, adapting "Never Go Back". The studio's looking to fast-track the project, but it won't happen until after Cruise wraps Mission Impossible 5 which shoots this summer.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/12/jack-reachers-back-tom-cruise-developing-new-bestseller-never-go-back/

The studio hopes to get Christopher McQuarrie back to direct as well.

You do realize that octopuses are real creatures, right?

You do realize that the probability of one man having a fist fight with a 200 foot octopus twice in his lifetime is a bit... fantastical?

You do realize I was being ironic, right?

That does not push the whole book series in the fantasy realm. Dr. No is probably the most outlandish of the original novels.

Easily. It's the first novel that fits right in line with the films. Glass contact lenses, no hands, giant octopus, fortress on a secured island, thugs, bare naked girl, etc. But he also does a giant underwater traversal in Live And Let Die and fights all kinds of Verne-ian sea creatures.