Golden Globe 2012 nominees

TownerFan

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed. It seems like it won't be going getting any awards this year.

Maybe the finale will garner more critics on their side.

I'm excited that Cloud Atlas was nominated. Didn't expect that one.

I feel like there isn't a distinct front runner yet. I knew The Artist was gonna win best score before it was even nominated at the globes.

I'm excited that Cloud Atlas was nominated. Didn't expect that one.

well, if there was an award for Best Musical Theme, I would give it to Cloud Atlas Sextet. It was a sublime piece.

The rest of the score, just average...

FYI, Spielberg's Lincoln scored an impressive 7 nominations tally.

And The Hobbit an impressive 0 nominations. :o

For once, they agree with my opinion of a score :)

I've only heard Lincoln from that list, and I ain't going to be rooting for that. I should check out some of the others.

http://www.awardsdai...inations-tba-3/

Here's the five for Best Original Score

Life of Pi (Mychael Danna)

Argo (Alexandre Desplat)

Anna Karenina (Dario Marianelli)

Cloud Atlas (Tom Tykwer, Johnny Klimek, Reinhold Heil)

Lincoln (John Williams)

Wasn't there a rule about multiple composers ...?

http://www.awardsdai...inations-tba-3/

Here's the five for Best Original Score

Life of Pi (Mychael Danna)

Argo (Alexandre Desplat)

Anna Karenina (Dario Marianelli)

Cloud Atlas (Tom Tykwer, Johnny Klimek, Reinhold Heil)

Lincoln (John Williams)

Wasn't there a rule about multiple composers ...?

I don't think the Golden Globes have that rule. But the Oscars are pretty strict about it, yeah. On their list of 104 eligible scores, Tom Tykwer's name is missing from Cloud Atlas's entry.

As pure music, the Williams is the best but seems not to make a lot of impression in the movie, ARGO is well-done but purely functional (they should have chosen the Bigelow thriller or indeed RISE OF THE GUARDIANS as Desplat's american scores go), CLOUD ATLAS had a few good moments but was totally overloaded with a musical carpet of decidedly lesser material, the Danna comes behind Williams in quality but may be a bit too mousy/subtle. ANNA KARENINA is good but ultimately more source than score, which ironically could push it forward.

If the AA's follow that route, this year's music oscar will be given strictly for political reasons - a solace for the losers from the big categories.

Talking about Oscar predicitions:

Lincoln, Anna Karenina and Life of Pi will almost surely be nominated at the Academy Awards.

Desplat will likely end up nominated for Rise of the Guardians or Zero Dark Thirty instead of Argo.

The fifth slot could be anything else: it could be Greenwood for The Master, or Zeitlin/Romer for Beasts of the Southern Wild (both are critics' fave). But it could very well be that Desplat will end up with another nomination.

Shore's The Hobbit looks like is out of the game.

Pretty interesting year, btw.

Congrats to John Williams. I can't believe this isn't the title of this thread. ;)

Nice to see Mychael Danna among the nominees. What I heard from this score was really good indeed and I can't wait to see the film (which opens here in a week).

Karol

If the AA's follow that route, this year's music oscar will be given strictly for political reasons - a solace for the losers from the big categories.

Should push the Hobbit then ;)

Should push the Hobbit then ;)

At least this would be in line with the proud tradition of all the other ill-chosen awards over the years. :)

Won't Shore's Hobbit (with the new Academy rules) submission need to be the music as heard in the film, which mostly became re-recordings of LOTR material? I can see that disqualifying him.

The OST might be sensational, but that can't be submitted for the FYC, right?

what's the "gimmick score" in these

BTW the Lincoln score makes ZERO impression in the film, so don't bet on it compared to years when more noticeable Williams scores still lost to whatever.

It's a fine line. The music to War Horse's biggest problem, according to most critics, was that it was overbearing and over sentimental. Something like Brokeback Mountain was, I'm told, sparse and not very prominent. They might appreciate that.

Sparse is the new cool. With most music in the vein of Williams being trashed for being "overbearing", this is the best chance Williams has gotten in a while.

Why does everyone keep thinking that in order to win the award, the score must be as good as his other winning works? That's clearly not how the voters think, or how the awards work for that matter.

Hard to say. Has Desplat one? He might get it just for his tireless efforts, which are being noticed in Hollywood. If not, i think Williams could get it because respectable americana for a respectable and respected subject might send a hopeful signal from the film community.