mrbellamy

I think he's changed his tune on that, at least somewhat. Most of his quotes related to that kind of thing are from around Pulp Fiction's release, but since then he's commissioned original music for both Kill Bill and Django Unchained, and apparently tried to get Ennio Morricone to compose the score for Inglourious Basterds.

QT has more or less maintained, kinda selfishly, that using an original composer would give someone else too much power to affect his movie. He likes to have complete control over it all, and I'd say it's been working for him.

The original music commissioned for Kill Bill is pretty much nothing. The RZA did the Ode To Oren Ishi for Vol. 1, and Robert Rodriguez wrote Malaguena Salerosa for Vol. 2. Two songs, not even score. The latter pretty much just being a kind jester of friendship. He wanted Morricone for Inglourious Basterds but he was already working on a project in Italy and the film's release date would had to have been pushed back. QT wanted to wait, Harvey Weinstein didn't.

Django Unchained is really his first film where there is a lot of different stuff going on musically. I think there were 4 songs written for it, not including Morricone's, but again there is no original score. I also think this, as great as it is, is most likely his worst film. Editing has always been one of the strongest aspects of any Tarantino movie, and without Sally Menke this one was a bit messy. I think the "without coherence" bit that Morricone was saying is actually spot on for this film, and that it stems from that messy editing.

I would trust The Hollywood Reporter, but to my knowledge Morricone wasn't anywhere near Kill Bill. Don't know where they got that from.

I would trust The Hollywood Reporter, but to my knowledge Morricone wasn't anywhere near Kill Bill. Don't know where they got that from.

Morricone wasn't, but his music was. I think whoever wrote that article is simply confused.

Morricone should have been made Pope instead the new guy.

His regnal name will be "Pope Bernard Jerry I" in honor of his predecessors.

Absolutely loving it, but then again I'm overly familiar with the scores QT used here. I like how he used recordings off his own LPs rather than clean masters, his reason in the liner notes being he wants us to experience the music as he first did.

I also liked that. It enhanced the songs.

Morricone wasn't, but his music was. I think whoever wrote that article is simply confused.

Which throws up the question how much of what it claims is actually accurate.

this is in BOTH movies, specifically at the part in Unchained when Django saves the girl from being whipped.

:46-:58 sounds like Return of the King. had to post this.

Well, Django is the weakest character from the film, so I'm not really that surprised he had some trouble casting it. It's not that he's a bad character precisely, but the rest of them are so damn good that Django, having to be the straight man, ends up looking weak.

I kinda had that trouble with him that I could never connect with the person or his quest until he escapes from the Australian guys... Kinda of a shame really, but it's not easy writing characters like that.

So the reason Will Smith turned down the role of Django was that it wasn't "the lead role". Seriously, now? I think he has become a bit egotistical.

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/smith-explains-turning-down-django-unchained-lead-172610141.html

Just now getting that feeling. He's been heading that way for a while.