Congo by Jerry Goldsmith (New Intrada Complete)

Jay

INTRADA

Announces:

307654_10151213187532169_1031328349_n.jp

CONGO

Composed and Conducted by JERRY GOLDSMITH

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 220

Jerry Goldsmith took the unusual step of opening the 1995 Paramount film Congo—a high-tech and violent, special effects laden action film—with a song. “Spirit of Africa,” performed by Lebo M, starts the adventure, providing the seed for a long-line adventure melody that plays throughout the score. The approach may seem counter-intuitive—creating a bright and sunny opening for a movie about murderous gorillas, and yet Goldsmith also wrote some of his most ferocious action music of the ‘90s as well. He surrounded the film with a magnificent theme for French horns; a beautiful line for Amy, the gentle gorilla; and the stirring work for orchestra and chorus with Lebo M that frames the score. Peppered throughout are exciting and explosive sequences that give the score a striking edge.

When it came time to selecting highlights for the Epic Soundtrax CD that coincided with the picture’s release in 1995, Goldsmith left off much of this exciting action music. In fact, he selected approximately 25 minutes of the score, framing the 33-minute album with “Spirit Of Africa,” just as he did the film. Absent were the propulsive “Meet Monroe Kelly,” the brief but intense “The Eye,” the riveting “Amy Has Bad Dreams” and, perhaps the most aggressive cue, “Help Me." The use of music in Congo was altered during postproduction more extensively than usual, but compliments of Paramount, Intrada had access to the complete unedited sessions, allowing for the inclusion of every re-scored or deleted sequence.

The film follows a high-tech expedition searching for a missing group that was testing a diamond-powered communications laser in the rain forests of Congo in Africa -- the previous group having been decimated by mysterious, unknown creatures. Accompanied by the gorilla Amy (trained to speak in sign language), the explorers travel to the ancient city of Zinj and after they too come under attack, they discover that mutant, albino gorillas—bred specifically to guard Zinj’s diamond riches—now slay any humans that trespass on their city.

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 220

Retail Price: $19.99

Available Now

For track listing and sound samples, please visit

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7956/.f'>http://store.intrada...it.A/id.7956/.f

CONGO (COMPLETE)

Label: Intrada Special Collection Volume 220

Date: 1995

Tracks: 31

Time = 62:49

Wow! World premiere of complete Jerry Goldsmith score for Frank Marshall film from Micheal Chrichton thriller with Laura Linney, Dylan Walsh. Original album produced by Goldsmith only featured about 23 minutes of score plus ten minutes of admittedly dynamic African choral material. But that left out virtually half of magnificent score. Goldsmith's approach to thriller offers some of his most riveting action music of the nineties. Intrada presentation includes everything composer recorded, including two versions of rich "Deep Jungle", in which version recorded specifically for album deleted tense snake sequence. Standing out in new tracks are thrilling action cues: powerful Rambo style "Meet Monroe Kelly" airport escape cue, intense "Help Me" where Tim Curry meets his violent end. Other new cues include two versions of mysterious "The Ghost Tribe", "Meet Amy" sequence with alternating thrills, tenderness. Alternates plus "Villagers Chant" written by James Newton Howard & Lebo M complete 62-minute program. Entire score mastered from original digital two-track session masters, vaulted at Paramount, stunningly recorded, mixed by Bruce Botnick. Packaging features both original Epic Soundtrax label album cover plus exciting "flipper" cover. Jerry Goldsmith conducts. Intrada Special Collection release available while quantities and interest remains!

The Album

01. Spirit Of Africa/The Expedition* 2:42

02. Zinj 1:17

03. The Eye 0:24

04. Meet Amy 2:43

05. Something I Lost (Alternate) 0:29

06. Meet Monroe Kelly 1:39

07. Road Block 0:39

08. Crossing The Border 1:29

09. Bail Out* 2:58

10. No Customs* 1:49

11. Deep Jungle - Picture 1:59

12. The Ghost Tribe - Revised 2:04

13. The Rapids 0:39

14. The Symbol 0:47

15. Hippo Attack* 2:26

16. The Other Side - Revised 1:17

17. Crash Site* 1:59

18. Sad Amy 0:37

19. Gates Of Zinj* 4:03

20. Help Me 2:18

21. We Are Watching 1:49

22. The Mine 0:53

23. Amy's Nightmare* 2:11

24. Kahega* 2:18

25. Amy's Farewell/Spirit Of Africa/End Credits* 10:29

Total Album Time: 52:45

The Extras

26. Something I Lost 0:20

27. Deep Jungle - Album* 2:33

28. The Ghost Tribe 1:21

29. The Other Side 1:20

30. The Collapsed City 2:21

31. The Villagers Chant (James Newton Howard/Lebo M) 1:50

Total Extras Time: 9:58

* Original Album Track

Jerry Goldsmith

Price: $19.99

Was this a good score? It was such a stinker of a movie I never gave it a second glance. Having a complete version, though. . . .

- Uni

Bought!

Was this a good score? It was such a stinker of a movie I never gave it a second glance. Having a complete version, though. . . .

- Uni

Good enough that Tan Dun ripped it off for Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon!

It's a great film if you watch it in a certain way!

Eyes closed? Through a steel door? On in Boston when I'm in L.A.?

- Uni

You'll be in Boston? Me too! Let's hook up....

Only if they're playing Congo in L.A. . . .

Actually, I need to get up to Boston at some point before too long. My sister in law lives up there, and I'd love to catch up with my cousin (Kevin Kaska). Been meaning to see if I can't use relational guilt to have him pull some strings and possibly set up a meeting with the Big Man himself. Never hurts to wish. . . .

- Uni

I've listened to only two parts of this (beginning and end) but I found it enjoyable.

There is a theme that it's heartwarming in its Goldsmithness, and even if it's not an instant crowning achievement compared to the brutal strength of The Ghost and the Darkness for example, was well stuck in my head at the time.

Ill be in Boston early June. So keep that in mind when setting up your private meeting. ;)

If you were there at the same time, you know I wouldn't go without taking you along.

- Uni

There is a theme that it's heartwarming in its Goldsmithness, and even if it's not an instant crowning achievement compared to the brutal strength of The Ghost and the Darkness for example, was well stuck in my head at the time.

That's an album I'd like to legitimately own. I enjoy the OST immensely, though I don't know if its relatively short duration of score (disregarding the tracks of African chants at the end) reflects a genuine lack of music written for the film, which would indicate a lot of tracking and silence, or if Goldsmith simply pared the material down to a short album. I remain optimistic it will arrive in 2013.

But I'll get Congo in the meantime. I've only seen the film two or three times, and not in over a decade, so I don't remember a single moment of music. It's one of my most favorite Crichton books -- even if it telegraphs who survives the ordeal with "Peter later said this" types of comments -- and I probably prefer it over Jurassic Park because it captures that Indiana Jones vibe of finding a lost city, but the movie was...different.

It's one of my most favorite Crichton books -- even if it telegraphs who survives the ordeal with "Peter later said this" types of comments -- and I probably prefer it over Jurassic Park because it captures that Indiana Jones vibe of finding a lost city, but the movie was...different.

This wasn't among my favorites of Crichton's works. His best book was Sphere—but since that got even worse cinematic representation than Congo, perhaps I should give the latter another try.

- Uni

That's an album I'd like to legitimately own. I enjoy the OST immensely, though I don't know if its relatively short duration of score (disregarding the tracks of African chants at the end) reflects a genuine lack of music written for the film, which would indicate a lot of tracking and silence, or if Goldsmith simply pared the material down to a short album. I remain optimistic it will arrive in 2013.

The first time I consciously heard that was in a video making it pass for the main theme for Avatar. I was like... "James? Is that you?"

I still remember one comment below saying he knew it was the real deal and that he loved it. ROTFLMAO

This wasn't among my favorites of Crichton's works. His best book was Sphere—but since that got even worse cinematic representation than Congo, perhaps I should give the latter another try.

I like the film. Great atmosphere, great score. The problem is that it doesn't just introduce plot holes in its second half, it actually contradicts its own logic - where the book makes perfect sense.

It's one of my most favorite Crichton books -- even if it telegraphs who survives the ordeal with "Peter later said this" types of comments -- and I probably prefer it over Jurassic Park because it captures that Indiana Jones vibe of finding a lost city, but the movie was...different.

- Uni

I Like both Congo & Sphere... In my opinion even better than Jurassic Park I might add.

I like Travels the best

Oh yeah I like that autobiographical book too. Especially the anecdotes he wrote about the filming of The First Great Train Robbery, his hike to Mt. Kilimanjaro & his 'aural watching".

I Like both Congo & Sphere... In my opinion even better than Jurassic Park I might add.

No argument there . . . except that I used to love JP. (I'd actually read it three times before the movie came out.) Then Spielberg did a rare thing: he made a good novel into a better movie. The fourth time I went back through the novel, I found it pale and melodramatic by comparison. It's not often that kind of thing happens.

- Uni

No argument there . . . except that I used to love JP. (I'd actually read it three times before the movie came out.) Then Spielberg did a rare thing: he made a good novel into a better movie. The fourth time I went back through the novel, I found it pale and melodramatic by comparison. It's not often that kind of thing happens.

- Uni

True. It's far more, I don't know... wordy. I guess MC saw the drawback in that and made the sequel, The Lost World far less like classroom lecture and more field trip.

I like the novel a lot. I'm more annoyed with the film every time I see it. Spielberg (or Koepp) took an interesting, well constructed, thought provoking thriller and threw out everything that's interesting and nearly everything that's well constructed.

LW the novel, on the other hand, was neither exciting not thrilling when I read it.

Wow, good news!!! :D My fav Jerry Goldsmith score, and such wonderful album art! Any film music fan should know this score, it is Goldsmith's Jurassic Park!

The movie is btw very entertaining, it definitely owes to Jurassic park, but it is above all very much in the vein of Crichton's novel. The jungle scenes are thrilling. And I have a weakness for Laura Linney :)

I like Travels the best

Oh yeah I like that autobiographical book too. Especially the anecdotes he wrote about the filming of The First Great Train Robbery, his hike to Mt. Kilimanjaro & his 'aural watching".

Also I agree very much here.

Wow, good news!!! :D My fav Jerry Goldsmith score, and such wonderful album art! Any film music fan should know this score, it is Goldsmith's Jurassic Park!

No, Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend is Goldsmith's JP.

That's an awesome score in any case. Has some of Goldsmith's all time best action material - nearly up there with Rambo 2 and Total Recall.

I agree! Baby is f**king awesome! I had been listening to it through "other means" for the longest time and finally was able to get a copy of the actual CD itself the other year because I loved it so much! :D

I think Congo is Baby 2.0

CONGO liner notes: "Goldsmith could be critical of his work, even dismissive. Shortly after the original CD was released in 1995 he phoned Intrada's store to ask how well the album was selling with his fans, something he often did in those days. I told him that it was doing well, then asked why certain action cues had been left off of the album, especially the airport escape sequence ("Meet Monroe Kelly"), to which he simply said, "Just play Rambo" and changed topics."

CONGO liner notes: "Goldsmith could be critical of his work, even dismissive. Shortly after the original CD was released in 1995 he phoned Intrada's store to ask how well the album was selling with his fans, something he often did in those days. I told him that it was doing well, then asked why certain action cues had been left off of the album, especially the airport escape sequence ("Meet Monroe Kelly"), to which he simply said, "Just play Rambo" and changed topics."

LOL, just play Rambo. I bet when JW would be asked if why he left out some cues in Lincoln he would say "Just play Indy."

LOL, just play Rambo. I bet when JW would be asked if why he left out some cues in Lincoln he would say "Just play Indy."

ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO ROTFLMAO

Got mine today. Enjoying it so far. Though obviously the films are very similar (both Jerry scores, both African expeditions, both complete crap), this one seems like a more patient and better-developed score than King Solomon's Mines.

- Uni

I just got mine today, too! Wonderful liner notes on the making of the film and how the score came to be and the process of it (there are little to no behind the scenes info. on the film that are easy to come by, no bonus features on the DVD). I never knew that the film was going to be made by Crichton back in the early 80s but didn't due to inability to film the complex nature of the animals required! Makes sense, of course, and Goldsmith was involved back then. It's really nice that even though Crichton wasn't involved in the film in the end that Goldsmith still expressed an interest to score since he admires Crichton's work so much. I wonder if he had gone after "Sphere" while it was being made? As much as I LOVE Goldenthal's score to that film (to me it's a superior score than Alien 3, which seems to get the spotlight from most people), I do wonder how Goldsmith would have approached it.

This CD sounds great and plays SO well in complete form! It doesn't have a dull moment for me. So very glad I got this.

I got it and what wasn't available before is mostly of the 'don't bother' variety - very short and mostly uninspired filler (save for one short action cue and even that is veeery typical 90's Goldsmith).

Anyone with the old Epic CD (which i sold on Ebay years ago) can hold on to it, the sound is about the same. But now that's another one from the list which hopefully will include the infinitely more impressive GHOST AND THE DARKNESS.

I wonder if he had gone after "Sphere" while it was being made? As much as I LOVE Goldenthal's score to that film (to me it's a superior score than Alien 3, which seems to get the spotlight from most people), I do wonder how Goldsmith would have approached it.

Sphere is my favourite Goldenthal score, and I wouldn't want to exchange it for anything in the world, but the idea of a Goldsmith alternate is certainly an interesting one.

Yeah, I agree. It probably is my favorite Goldenthal score (that and Batman Forever). But I do wonder if Goldsmith heard about the project and expressed interest but was either turned down or too late perhaps?

Speaking again of Sphere... I hope to god that Varese either finally expands that score or lets it go to someone else because that is probably my top grail right now (besides certain Williams scores of course).