2013 Academy Awards (Oscars) Discussion (2012 movies)

Jay

Here are all the nominees

Performance by an actor in a leading role

Performance by an actor in a supporting role

Performance by an actress in a leading role

Performance by an actress in a supporting role

Best animated feature film of the year

Achievement in cinematography

Achievement in costume design

Achievement in directing

• "Amour" Michael Haneke
  • "Beasts of the Southern Wild" Benh Zeitlin
  • "Life of Pi" Ang Lee
  • "Lincoln" Steven Spielberg
  • "Silver Linings Playbook" David O. Russell

Best documentary feature

Best documentary short subject

• "Inocente"
    Sean Fine and Andrea Nix Fine
  • "Kings Point"
    Sari Gilman and Jedd Wider
  • "Mondays at Racine"
    Cynthia Wade and Robin Honan
  • "Open Heart"
    Kief Davidson and Cori Shepherd Stern
  • "Redemption"
    Jon Alpert and Matthew O'Neill

Achievement in film editing

• "Argo" William Goldenberg
  • "Life of Pi" Tim Squyres
  • "Lincoln" Michael Kahn
  • "Silver Linings Playbook" Jay Cassidy and Crispin Struthers
  • "Zero Dark Thirty" Dylan Tichenor and William Goldenberg

Best foreign language film of the year

Achievement in makeup and hairstyling

• "Hitchcock"
    Howard Berger, Peter Montagna and Martin Samuel
  • "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey"
    Peter Swords King, Rick Findlater and Tami Lane
  • "Les Misérables"
    Lisa Westcott and Julie Dartnell

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original score)

• "Anna Karenina" Dario Marianelli
  • "Argo" Alexandre Desplat
  • "Life of Pi" Mychael Danna
  • "Lincoln" John Williams
  • "Skyfall" Thomas Newman

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original song)

• "Before My Time" from "Chasing Ice"
    Music and Lyric by J. Ralph
  • "Everybody Needs A Best Friend" from "Ted"
    Music by Walter Murphy; Lyric by Seth MacFarlane
  • "Pi's Lullaby" from "Life of Pi"
    Music by Mychael Danna; Lyric by Bombay Jayashri
  • "Skyfall" from "Skyfall"
    Music and Lyric by Adele Adkins and Paul Epworth
  • "Suddenly" from "Les Misérables"
    Music by Claude-Michel Schönberg; Lyric by Herbert Kretzmer and Alain Boublil

Best motion picture of the year

• "Amour" Nominees to be determined
  • "Argo" Grant Heslov, Ben Affleck and George Clooney, Producers
  • "Beasts of the Southern Wild" Dan Janvey, Josh Penn and Michael Gottwald, Producers
  • "Django Unchained" Stacey Sher, Reginald Hudlin and Pilar Savone, Producers
  • "Les Misérables" Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner, Debra Hayward and Cameron Mackintosh, Producers
  • "Life of Pi" Gil Netter, Ang Lee and David Womark, Producers
  • "Lincoln" Steven Spielberg and Kathleen Kennedy, Producers
  • "Silver Linings Playbook" Donna Gigliotti, Bruce Cohen and Jonathan Gordon, Producers
  • "Zero Dark Thirty" Mark Boal, Kathryn Bigelow and Megan Ellison, Producers

Achievement in production design

• "Anna Karenina"
    Production Design: Sarah Greenwood; Set Decoration: Katie Spencer
    Production Design: Dan Hennah; Set Decoration: Ra Vincent and Simon Bright
  • "Les Misérables"
    Production Design: Eve Stewart; Set Decoration: Anna Lynch-Robinson
  • "Life of Pi"
    Production Design: David Gropman; Set Decoration: Anna Pinnock
  • "Lincoln"
    Production Design: Rick Carter; Set Decoration: Jim Erickson

Best animated short film

• "Adam and Dog" Minkyu Lee
  • "Fresh Guacamole" PES
  • "Head over Heels" Timothy Reckart and Fodhla Cronin O'Reilly
  • "Maggie Simpson in "The Longest Daycare"" David Silverman
  • "Paperman" John Kahrs

Best live action short film

• "Asad" Bryan Buckley and Mino Jarjoura
  • "Buzkashi Boys" Sam French and Ariel Nasr
  • "Curfew" Shawn Christensen
  • "Death of a Shadow (Dood van een Schaduw)" Tom Van Avermaet and Ellen De Waele
  • "Henry" Yan England

Achievement in sound editing

• "Argo" Erik Aadahl and Ethan Van der Ryn
  • "Django Unchained" Wylie Stateman
  • "Life of Pi" Eugene Gearty and Philip Stockton
  • "Skyfall" Per Hallberg and Karen Baker Landers
  • "Zero Dark Thirty" Paul N.J. Ottosson

Achievement in sound mixing

• "Argo"
    John Reitz, Gregg Rudloff and Jose Antonio Garcia
  • "Les Misérables"
    Andy Nelson, Mark Paterson and Simon Hayes
  • "Life of Pi"
    Ron Bartlett, D.M. Hemphill and Drew Kunin
  • "Lincoln"
    Andy Nelson, Gary Rydstrom and Ronald Judkins
  • "Skyfall"
    Scott Millan, Greg P. Russell and Stuart Wilson

Achievement in visual effects

Joe Letteri, Eric Saindon, David Clayton and R. Christopher White
  • "Life of Pi"
    Bill Westenhofer, Guillaume Rocheron, Erik-Jan De Boer and Donald R. Elliott
  • "Marvel's The Avengers"
    Janek Sirrs, Jeff White, Guy Williams and Dan Sudick
  • "Prometheus"
    Richard Stammers, Trevor Wood, Charley Henley and Martin Hill
  • "Snow White and the Huntsman"
    Cedric Nicolas-Troyan, Philip Brennan, Neil Corbould and Michael Dawson

Adapted screenplay

• "Argo" Screenplay by Chris Terrio
  • "Beasts of the Southern Wild" Screenplay by Lucy Alibar & Benh Zeitlin
  • "Life of Pi" Screenplay by David Magee
  • "Lincoln" Screenplay by Tony Kushner
  • "Silver Linings Playbook" Screenplay by David O. Russell

Original screenplay

• "Amour" Written by Michael Haneke
  • "Django Unchained" Written by Quentin Tarantino
  • "Flight" Written by John Gatins
  • "Moonrise Kingdom" Written by Wes Anderson & Roman Coppola
  • "Zero Dark Thirty" Written by Mark Boal

The Director line up is very surprising. Two of Spielberg's main competitors weren't even nominated (Bigelow and Affleck). I think he's the clear front runner on that one

Damn! :eek:

Lincoln might be the biggest Spielberg movie at the Oscars since Schindler's List!

JW might actually win this time... Damn the Academy for getting up our hopes every damn year (well, almost)! :P

I can't believe the Academy nominated Skyfall for Best Score over The Impossible, Beasts of the Southern Wild, Cristiada, An Unexpected Journey, The Master, Rise of the Guardians, Amazing Spider-man, or John Carter. Wow. Did not see that coming!

They obviously just copy-pasted the Bafta Best Original Score Nominations on the Oscars. ;)

• "Anna Karenina" Dario Marianelli
  • "Argo" Alexandre Desplat
  • "Life of Pi" Mychael Danna
  • "Skyfall" Thomas Newman

On second thought... do we really think JW will win this time?

I am starting to get skeptical again. It's more likely that Desplat or Newman will win, both of whom have, although receiving multiple noimations, never won an Oscar before...

I think Williams has a chance now.

No "gimmick" score nominated (The Master)

The Hobbit is not nominated for music

Whatever Gustavo Santaolalla scored isn't nominated

No Les Miserables music nominated to confuse voters

it's Williams 80'th birthday, it might play in his fave to just "give him his last Oscar"

All of Williams "bombastic" scores have failed to win since E.T., so maybe his most "subdued score" might have the opposite effect and win

And Desplat won last year I think. James Bond films never win best score (did Barry win one?). Nobody saw Life of Pi and Anna Katenina

I am not content with Skyfall getting a score nomination. Firstly, there are far too many scores this year that are simply better. Secondly, this doesn't deserve to be the only Bond score to earn a nomination. Any of Barry's scores or Tomorrow Never Dies deserve a nomination more than Skyfall. It isn't a bad score, just terribly mediocre in my opinion. I suspect Oscar politics may be the rational behind its nomination - "we haven't nominated Skyfall for any major awards so let's nominate it for best score as a conciliatory award".

Anyway, I highly doubt it will win. I don't think Argo will either. JW has the best chance in a long time although I suspect Life of Pi and Anna Kerenina will be strong contenders also.

Was The Hobbit eligible for best score this year? If it was, I'm surprised by its lack of a nomination.

I'm glad to see Everyone Needs A Best Friend and Skyfall getting a nomination for best song. I hope Skyfall wins. Adele's song was the best the franchise has had for a long time. Also, I hope Roger Deakins wins for his photography. Skyfall looks utterly beatiful.

Looks like Lincoln is going to clean up this year, which is good because it is a high quality movie.

Regardless of what people think about the Lincoln score you have to admit, what an achievement, what is it now 48 nominations.

He's not only worthy of a win but to do so would honor the greatest living film composer of our age.

I was one off on my prediction. I missed on makeup.

Well, it's kinda silly the Make Up category only has 3 nominations. Why not nominate 5 films like all the other categories? I mean heck there are 5 Animated Film nominees even though there has never been a year with five QUALITY animated films have come out, yet every year you could easily find 5 films where the make up was remarkable.

Lincoln will win best score, as I have said numerous times, mark my words.

Never have I wanted to believe anyone's words on this board as I do right now....

But yeah, we have a guy called 'Dario Marianelli' nominated this year... The Academy seems to be in love with exotic names in the Best Score category so I guess that could roadblock Williams' last chance (?) to win another Oscar.

And then there is Argo. If that film turns out to be 'the big winner' this year (instead of Lincoln), it could be given the best score award over Lincoln...

Sigh. I hate this time of year.

I can't believe the Academy nominated Skyfall for Best Score over The Impossible, Beasts of the Southern Wild, Cristiada, An Unexpected Journey, The Master, Rise of the Guardians, Amazing Spider-man, or John Carter. Wow. Did not see that coming!

Exactly what I was thinking.

I really do hope that Lincoln wins a lot.

it's easy to slam the Oscars for many things but pandering to a box office champ is not one of them.

The last time the #1 movie at the Boxoffice won the Academy awards was for Return of the King, before that Titanic.

But it's nice to see a movie win that more than an handful of people viewed at the movies. You know which films I'm talking about, the 14 people who saw the Artist, the 32 people who saw the Kings Speech, and the 7 who saw Hurt Locker.

My Predictions:

Performance by an actor in a leading role

Performance by an actor in a supporting role

Performance by an actress in a supporting role

Best animated feature film of the year

• "ParaNorman" Sam Fell and Chris Butler
  • Second Choice: Frankenweenie

Achievement in cinematography

Achievement in costume design

• "Les Misérables" Paco Delgado
  • Second Choice: Anna Karenina

Achievement in directing

Achievement in makeup and hairstyling

Peter Swords King, Rick Findlater and Tami Lane
  • (Dwarf designs ftw!)

• Second Choice: Life of Pi (Mychael Danna)

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original song)

• "Skyfall" from "Skyfall"
    Music and Lyric by Adele Adkins and Paul Epworth
  • OR
  • "Suddenly" from "Les Misérables"
    Music by Claude-Michel Schönberg; Lyric by Herbert Kretzmer and Alain Boublil

Achievement in production design

• "Les Misérables"
    Production Design: Eve Stewart; Set Decoration: Anna Lynch-Robinson
  • Second Choice: The Hobbit

Achievement in visual effects

• "Life of Pi"
    Bill Westenhofer, Guillaume Rocheron, Erik-Jan De Boer and Donald R. Elliott
  • Second Choice: The Hobbit

Adapted screenplay

Original screenplay

• "Zero Dark Thirty" Written by Mark Boal
  • Second Choice: Django Unchained (unlikely though)

And last but certainly not least...

Best motion picture of the year:

• "Les Misérables" Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner, Debra Hayward and Cameron Mackintosh, Producers
  • Runner Up: Life of Pi

I really doubt Phoenix will win after he's recently publically slammed the Academy Awards.

and KK there is no runner up in any category.

LINCOLN is a box office champ? I thought you'd usually begin counting not before 300 million domestically. ;)

The nominated scores are a fucking boring line-up (Desplat for...ARGO??). If Williams (or Spielberg, for that matter) win, it will be strictly for patriotic reasons. The movie is not a disgrace, but much too Hallmark-y boring and predictable.

I really doubt Phoenix will win after he's recently publically slammed the Academy Awards.

and KK there is no runner up in any category.

By "runner-up", I mean my second choice, in case my primary prediction for the category ends up being wrong. So my bet would be on my first choice, but if that was wrong, then I put some alternates in there as well.

And if Joaquin is out of the race for best actor, then Daniel-Day Lewis may be looking at his 3rd oscar.

I also think things look really good for Williams and Spielberg. Spielberg has no major competition, and Williams will likely be given the Oscar in respect to his legacy, considering this is his best chance in years.

LINCOLN is a box office champ? I thought you'd usually begin counting not before 300 million domestically. ;)

He said pandering to a box-office champ is NOT one of the things you could slam the Oscars for.

And Lincoln got 12 nominations!

You don't think Lincoln will win Best Picture?

I never said Lincoln is a boxoffice champ. The boxoffice champion is the film that tops the year. that would be the avengers.

but recent winners the Artist, Hurt Locker, Crash all failed to register well at the box office. Very few people saw those at the movies.

Nah. I don't think Lincoln has generated the right kind of buzz for that. Judging from recent Oscar winnders, Les Miserables fits right into the big emotionally fuzzy, "must-see" family experience. Which fits in with the likes of "The King's Speech" or "The Artist". And while the film, as great as it is, didn't have as big as the impact I expected. I still think its perfect for the Best Picture front-runner.

But then again, that would deviate from the tradition of having the Best Director and Best Picture category being awarded to the same film.

Nah. I don't think Lincoln has generated the right kind of buzz for that. Judging from recent Oscar winnders, Les Miserables fits right into the big emotionally fuzzy, "must-see" family experience. Which fits in with the likes of "The King's Speech" or "The Artist". And while the film, as great as it is, didn't have as big as the impact I expected. I still think its perfect for the Best Picture front-runner.

But then again, that would deviate from the tradition of having the Best Director and Best Picture category being awarded to the same film.

I think in many cases the buzz starts once a movie is nominated for a Best Picture Oscar!

So "Lincoln" will be getting all the buzz now, I bet, especially outside the U.S. where it is being released in the next few days...

Zero Dark Thirty opens here tomorrow, we feel compelled to see it. when we were watching Breaking Bad the other day, you know the best show out there, except for the Wire, we saw a preview for ZDT and we realized that it was the best show at the movies, except maybe for Hurt Locker and we have to see it.

And Desplat won last year I think. James Bond films never win best score (did Barry win one?). Nobody saw Life of Pi and Anna Katenina

Just because you never saw the last two films doesn't mean no one else has. I guarantee you one of them will win over Lincoln if it doesn't pick up any other awards first. I actually think Anna Karenina is a better score. Still haven't heard Life Of Pi.

Somehow I doubt that ZDT will win any awards, except maybe one for sound editing.

Too political, too controversial.

Uh, you do realize The Hurt Locker won Best Picture and Director right? If it's "too political, too controversial" why even nominate it?

Somehow I doubt that ZDT will win any awards, except maybe one for sound editing.

Too political, too controversial.

Uh, you do realize The Hurt Locker won Best Picture and Director right? If it's "too political, too controversial" why even nominate it?

Well, THL was a gritty, realistic, topical war movie, but it wasn't exactly a controversional one.

On the other hand ZDT most definitely is! It was surroundedd by controversy before it was even released! http://en.wikipedia....cal_controversy

Well, who knows why the Academy does anything?

Zero Dark Thirty opens here tomorrow, we feel compelled to see it. when we were watching Breaking Bad the other day, you know the best show out there, except for the Wire, we saw a preview for ZDT and we realized that it was the best show at the movies, except maybe for Hurt Locker and we have to see it.

I am most definitely gonna see it too! Bigelow is one talented director, no doubt.

I think Williams has a chance now.

No "gimmick" score nominated (The Master)

From what I've heard, Anna Karenna has a very prominent score, and an orchestra that performs during the movie or something. so whilst not as (for lack of a better word) gimmicky as The Artist that's something to look out for.

Like I said in the other thread, I think this is JW's best chance at winning since SPR in 1999 (originally I said CMIYC 2003, but that movie wasn't as popular at the Oscars).

As I said in the other thread, I think the list gives Williams a better chance than some of us thought. The Newman nom is just off-the-wall wierd. That narrows the field a bit. He'll have competition from the other two big ones (Life of Pi and Anna Karenina), but I think he's got a decent chance of edging them out.

It does appear Spielberg is a shoe-in to win Best Director, yep.

I wouldn't discount Ang Lee for Pi. Most people were astounded by what he did with such a limited setting and range of characters.

The movie is not a disgrace, but much too Hallmark-y boring and predictable.

Yeah, it's really a bummer when directors make predictable movies about . . . history. (It's almost like you know what they're gonna do, man. . . .)

- Uni

Les Mis has absolutely no shot at winning picture. None. At all. Sounds like a throw-in because voters couldn't think of a 10th film.

I think Affleck's name missing from the director's category is bizzare.

Williams has a good shot, but you have to be mindful of Marianelli and Danna, especially since Lincoln and PI seem to be going head to head.

Les Mis has absolutely no shot at winning picture. None. At all. Sounds like a throw-in because voters couldn't think of a 10th film.

I think Affleck's name missing from the director's category is bizzare.

Williams has a good shot, but you have to be mindful of Marianelli and Danna, especially since Lincoln and PI seem to be going head to head.

I think it has among the best shot.

I brought it up on the other thread, but it's gotta be said again here, too: Forget all this Oscar crap. The guy's lapped just about everyone else on the field. It's time for a Lifetime Achievement award.

- Uni