Marco Beltrami's A Good Day to Die Hard

Neimoidian

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like Marco Beltrami's previous Die Hard. Some nods to Kamen still present (not so much the material, but the overall choice of colours). I'll give it a chance, maybe it'll be a fun action score.

I like the fact they're at least trying to retain a certain type of sound for this series. Not a fan of the electronics, though.

Karol

Ya it definitely has more of his Die Hard 4 score to it but I am liking what I hear.

All though it's still hard to judge a score by sample clips. Hopefully there will be more of Kamen's McClane theme in this one compared to Die Hard 4.

Why not?

It's not like even Die Hard was a flawless film.

what movie is flawless, but this is a film with no arti$tic rea$on to exi$t.

I enjoyed 2, it was the only decent sequel, 3 and 4 have no rewatchability to me. 3 using Hans Grubers' brother was hilariously stupid,

it was poorly made. Once they took the wife out of the story it made his troubles senseless.

this new movie looks like Eric Cartman painted shit on the walls. He went with the classic green.

no it was perfect. it added tension.

who cares if new york gets blown up, it's such a given in action movies these days, it's like each episode of smallville, hey I got an idea, lana ends up in the hospital, and every year, I have a great idea, lets blow up new york.

DH 2 was a great sequel, DH 3 was a poor effort, felt like it was slapped together at the last minute, DH 4 wasn't very interesting, typical action film with no charm and this one looks like it won't be any better. Much like KOTCS, McLane has suddenly turned into a non stop action hero who can withstand anything thrown at him without consequences, no matter his age.

In Die Hard 1 & 2, and to an extent, 3, he at least showed the human body can only withstand so much.

And I agree with Joe about Holly. Why is it so neccessary to not have a happy ending for people, it seems like the current trend is to keep dragging characters thru the mud with no joy in site.

Die Hard: With a Vengeance is good but the ending is too abrupt and non-thrilling. The alternate ending was alright but even that was too talky. It's like they couldn't find a balance.

None of the sequels recaptured that feeling of claustrophobia and isolation that the first film managed so well. Being stuck in a building and fighting terrorists is the defining part of Die Hard's identity. Without that, the sequels are nothing but generic action films with Bruce Willis playing that Roderick Thorp inspired character from the first film.

I love the first three Die Hard films. While the fourth one having flaws I do like it as well but not as much as the first three. I know some of you have said that Die Hard 3 doesn't quite work but I for one think it does.

Since it's the first film that Sam Jackson and Bruce Willis where they were in scenes nearly the entire movie together instead of them being a movie but no scenes. The chemistry between the two was awesome to watch and they pulled it off with out a hitch.

To me the score for Die Hard 3 is definitely the best of the bunch. The inclusion of the reprise music from the first two films is pretty damn good. It's just awesome to compare the score to the movie and hear how much material was dropped from the film. Or material tracked from one cue into another film, sometimes that worked but a lot of times it did not.

I am actually curious about A Good Day To Die Hard as a film, hopefully it will be better than the 4th one. For the cover of the score...it irritates me when it has the words "Bruce Willis" above the logo. I don't know if it was a choice by the person who did the artwork or something required by the producers of the movie. Either way it's rather distracting and annoying.

To me the score for Die Hard 3 is definitely the best of the bunch. The inclusion of the reprise music from the first two films is pretty damn good. It's just awesome to compare the score to the movie and hear how much material was dropped from the film. Or material tracked from one cue into another film, sometimes that worked but a lot of times it did not.

I'm not so sure about this one. Yeah, there is some really great stuff in it, but towards the end it becomes more and more recycled from the previous two.

And I also think the second one plays the strongest on album. Has a very clear delineated storyarc with an extended explosive finale. And Sibelius on top of that. It's a bliss of an action score.

But, of course, that's me. I like all films, but only the first one is really good.

Karol

There's only three Die Hard movies on planet Lee D. A world where video rental stores have that awesome one-off sci-fi spectacular The Matrix, Roy Scheider starred in both Jaws movies and the classic Alien movies which ended with Sigourney Weaver returning to earth to live happily ever after with Newt and Hicks.

Live Free Or Die Hard was enjoyable. Willis still brought the charm and one-liners to the table, but everything else around him kinda fell flat. Would have been better if it was R, of course. Despite being allowed a "fuck," they still messed up the key line.

Die Harder always sits in the back of my mind as being bad but whenever I watch it again I really like it. It's definitely the one I've seen the least out of the first three. I love With A Vengeance.

Despite being allowed a "fuck," they still messed up the key line.

While you are allowed 1 F in a pg13, it can't be a mother F

In the unrated version of Die Hard 4 it restored the full line.

Gabriel: "On your tombstone it should say, always in the wrong place, at the wrong time."

McClane: "How about, Yippie-Ki-Yay Mother Fucker!" *pulls trigger*