Max Steiner Award 2013: James Horner in Vienna

Marian Schedenig

There must be some medication for that. His throwaway line about Joe Dante's lack of a career after Corman (and possibly Gremlins) has the old swagger from the TROY interview. Mind you, he's not entirely wrong but i doubt he would be flattered if someone dismissed his output prior to TITANIC like that.

Yeah that was surprisingly tactless of him. I don't think Joe needed a twist of the knife in the wound.

The concert just ran on Austrian tv, and you could actually hear the Spider-man theme (playing as Horner was called to the stage) quite well (which, as several people pointed out, was totally drowned out by the applause in the hall, so much so that I didn't even notice it). Hope to get a recording of the broadcast in the coming days.

I've cut out the clip here (the quality isn't anything to get excited about, but at least from the microphones they recorded it with the applause is somewhat dimmed)

At Thor: thanks for posting your interview! Did you record the concert excerpts yourself, or did you get an "official" mix?

There must be some medication for that. His throwaway line about Joe Dante's lack of a career after Corman (and possibly Gremlins) has the old swagger from the TROY interview. Mind you, he's not entirely wrong but i doubt he would be flattered if someone dismissed his output prior to TITANIC like that.

Yeah that was surprisingly tactless of him. I don't think Joe needed a twist of the knife in the wound.

I don't think he wanted to diss Joe Dante at all. He's just observing how his career path went through the years in terms of success, imho. Remember the old saying "In Hollywood, you're as good as your last success"? Most of the people who works in that environment have a very strong attachment to that. Success and consensus is what makes your work last and continue throughout the years, because that's what people remember and what you'll probably be remembered for. Of course there are titans that could stand a number of failures and bombs, but nonetheless success is what makes your career distinguished in Hollywood.

Whatever he wanted, Horner has used these odd phrasings not the first time whereas i hardly hear them in other composer interviews (except maybe for some RCP guys and Leonard Rosenman). To say Dante doesn't know any better (than to embrace his Corman days) because he had his biggest successes in his Corman phase (which is certainly not true) and that people like Ron Howard fly on an altogether different plane due to their ongoing commercial successes betrays a certain line of thinking i cannot fully endorse, to say the least.

BACK TO VIENNA - PART ONE:

- VIENNA 2013: JAMES HORNER RECEIVES THE MAX STEINER AWARD

http://jameshorner-filmmusic.com/vienna-2013-james-horner-receives-max-steiner-award/

- VIENNA 2013: REVIEW OF THE CONCERTS

http://jameshorner-filmmusic.com/hollywood-vienna-2013-review-concerts/

-VIENNA 2013: JAMES HORNER INTERVIEWED BY THOR JOACHIM HAGA

http://jameshorner-filmmusic.com/vienna-2013-interview-james-horner-thor-joachim-haga/

Coming soon: PART TWO:

VIENNA 2013: INTERNATIONAL FILM MUSIC SYMPOSIUM (summary accompanied by three video sequences)

VIENNA 2013: INTERVIEW WITH STEVE BRAMSON AND DAVID NEWMAN

• 2 weeks later...