Justice League movie thread

Matt C

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm glad for Snyder, but when the movie comes out it'll be inevitably terrible and prove once and for all that he shouldn't be allowed even 100 miles to DC's Trinity.

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Wonder if Holkenborg will be brought back to re-score.

Hollywood Reporter says that WB is putting in $20-30 million for Snyder and his original post-production team (editorial, VFX, score) to complete his cut of the film. Which means that Holkenborg will compose and record a brand-new score.

Yeah, Elfman's score was widely criticized, it probably won't get used. It's very likely that Snyder will call Junkie again.

It'll be interesting to see how their collaboration will go along, without Zimmer. Holkenborg helped on Man of Steel, but BvS is more of a Zimmer score than a JXL one.

22 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Yeah, Elfman's score was widely criticized, it probably won't get used. It's very likely that Snyder will call Junkie again.

It'll be interesting to see how their collaboration will go along, without Zimmer. Holkenborg helped on Man of Steel, but BvS is more of a Zimmer score than a JXL one.

Holkenborg is such a mixed bag. If his score for Snyder's JL cut is more Alita than 300: Rise of an Empire, then it could be interesting.

Most of the criticism regarding Elfman's score is rather unwarranted. Is it as good as his original Batman score? Hell no. But his usage of themes and thinking where to incorporate them was rather ingenious.

10 minutes ago, Matt C said:

Most of the criticism regarding Elfman's score is rather unwarranted. Is it as good as his original Batman score? Hell no. But his usage of themes and thinking where to incorporate them was rather ingenious.

He did a pretty decent job considering the material and picture he had to work with. Lol.

4 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Definitely more of an even split than one over the other. Holkenborg’s percussion writing is all over those DC scores. 

2 hours ago, Þekþiþm said:

$20-$30 million?

What did Dick Donner get to finish his Superman II, five thousand bucks?

It's actually the same amount WB spent on the Whedon-scripted reshoots in summer 2017.

All the articles I've read indicate that Snyder is working with the VFX companies (who still have the main deliverables) to finish the scenes on his cut, as well as fine-tune the editing, and add new score & sound mix. The most involvement with the actors is apparently ADR work. Dick Donner didn't have that luxury.

I don't know how the Snyder Cut is going to fare. I'm just skeptical, particularly since WB is spending $20-30M on a film that didn't do too great to begin with (in a pandemic no less).

I'm one of those freaks who thought Elfman's score was entertaining enough, so I would be very interested to see a solo Holkenborg take on this universe. Especially given how little he actually did of BvS in spite of his name being on the cover. So how he takes much of Zimmer's ideas and puts his own spin on it has my curiosity, in spite of not loving those two prior scores. Though given how the score supposedly has already been finished, it will far more likely sound like Fury Road before it does Alita: Battle Angel.

Elfman’s score was criticised because it didn’t use enough synths and the themes had more than two notes.

The comments under his music on YouTube are full of terrible takes. He was criticised for not using HZ or Junkie XL’s themes (if you can call them “themes”). HZ, of course, is known for his use of previously established themes in franchises 🙄.

Didn’t he write it in like a week?

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

How much you wanna bet any score changes will just be a music editor doing an horrific Frankenstein job?

You really think Snyder is just going to re-edit Elfman's score to his cut?

WB is giving Snyder the freedom to complete his version with the same personnel he had on his last two movies, which means Elfman's score is out. I don't know whether the $25-30M covers recording sessions for Holkenborg's score.

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Elfman’s score was criticised because it didn’t use enough synths and the themes had more than two notes.

The comments under his music on YouTube are full of terrible takes. He was criticised for not using HZ or Junkie XL’s themes (if you can call them “themes”). HZ, of course, is known for his use of previously established themes in franchises 🙄.

Didn’t he write it in like a week?

This. All this.

Look Elfman's score is not awesome by any means. It's clear he was rushed, but he tried to do something. I appreciate the call outs to the themes he referenced, but I'm not going to lie and say I listen to it very often. I might have only listened once outside the film, but if I had to pick one of the Snyder DC film scores to throw on again...it would be that one.

As far as the Snyder Cut. I am not a fan of Man of Steel and I thought both versions of Batman V Superman were utterly abysmal. So...I don't know what Zack Snyder's Justice League will really do for me as a viewer. That being said, I will be watching it, but purely due to curiosity from the film analysis / editing part of my brain.

If it actually is as different as all these Snyder enthusiasts and Snyder himself claims it is, then it will be interesting to see purely from a comparison standpoint just how much the studio threw out after Snyder left. It's not everyday you get to see what is essentially (and again, allegedly) two very different versions of the same film with the same cast. I'm also intrigued to see the difference between the scores.

Who knows, maybe it will be better / better enough for many fans of Snyder. If so, then good for them. Again though, I am doubtful it will do much for me considering my track record with his DC work (not to mention the Hans and Junkie XL Scores). We shall see.

Another thing to note is this is probably the most major example of the viewing audience creating real change to a multi-million dollar film production. There were some changes to Cats, there's the whole Sonic debacle...and now this. What a fascinating time we live in...and a terrifying time for creatives.

1 minute ago, Matt C said:

You really think Snyder is just going to re-edit Elfman's score to his cut?

WB is giving Snyder the freedom to complete his version with the same personnel he had on his last two movies, which means Elfman's score is out. I don't know whether the $25-30M covers recording sessions for Holkenborg's score.

Agreed. There's no chance that Snyder will use a second of Elfman's score. Junkie XL or someone in that realm will be back to score the film. 

15 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I liked Dawn of the Dead and Watchmen.  Man of Steel was meh and, for me, missed the whole point of the character, and BvS was terrible.  300 was garbage. We skipped Justice League.

This. Dawn of the Dead is great, and Watchmen is good, but everything else was ass. Sucker Punch is probably one of the worst movies I've ever seen. 

4 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

1) Watchmen (visual masterpiece)

2) 300 (visual masterpiece)

3) Dawn Of The Dead (fun zombie flick)

Top 2 I haven't seen. Only seen DOTD, MOS, BVS, Sucker Punch and the one with the owls.

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I think we all know the reason Cremers considers 300 to be a "visual" masterpiece

Reveal hidden contents

No, I'm not into that. People like you only see the what, not the how.

8 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I think we all know the reason Cremers considers 300 to be a "visual" masterpiece

Hide contents

unnamed (5).jpg

it’s amazing how many people have been turned on by fake abs. 

15 minutes ago, Þekþiþm said:

Top 2 I haven't seen. Only seen DOTD, MOS, BVS, Sucker Punch and the one with the owls.

Sucker Punch (Sharky's favorite Snyder joint) has its visual moments but ultimately I was very disappointed by it. Also, script and dialog were a joke. Snyder wrote this as a young lad. He simply shouldn't write. It's why I fear for his upcoming Netflix zombie movie. But when he (and Larry Fong) uses classic graphic novels as storyboards for his movies, I love it!

1 minute ago, Alexcremers said:

Disco Stu is the kind of person that is sexually shocked when somebody gives him a Greek vase for his birthday. 

Greek-Vase-Replica.jpg

That looks a lot more like a symposium than warfare. 

also a hint of pederasty. 

26 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Close your eyes, Disco & Bilbo!

1200px-Herakles_lion_Louvre_E812.jpg

I have a Master’s in Classics, I’ve seen those vases before. 

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

Sucker Punch (Sharky's favorite Snyder joint) has its visual moments but ultimately I was very disappointed by it. Also, script and dialog were a joke. Snyder wrote this as a young lad. He simply shouldn't write. It's why I fear for his upcoming Netflix zombie movie. But when he (and Larry Fong) uses classic graphic novels as storyboards for his movies, I love it!

Somehow I enjoyed this one, but I haven't watched it in years. It may not hold up.

Fun soundtrack though. Great stylized visuals. Almost feels like they look a cinematography style typically only used in animation and did it for live action (or tried to make it look live action, since it's all CG anyway) and honestly, the visuals and overall concept are so over the top and out there that the writing is almost a non-issue. It all feels like part of this wacky world that Snyder created. Not one of my favorite films, but it is fun. You know, fun...the thing I was missing from Snyder's DC films.