Justice League movie thread

Matt C

9 hours ago, Bayesian said:

Snyder’s transparent attempt to build relevance for his movie by making some super-duper-epic-for-the-ages just proves how vacuous the whole superhero genre has become. 

The superhero genre is commercially viable. It's the only reason why this is happening. Everything else that isn't superheroes has become a liability. 

8 hours ago, AC1 said:

The superhero genre is commercially viable. It's the only reason why this is happening. Everything else that isn't superheroes has become a liability. 

Pretty much that.

Joker is a great example, the only reason it earned over a billion dollars in box office was because its connection with Batman and DC. If the movie was about a random poor guy with mental illness, it would've struggle to find its audience.

On 12/20/2020 at 7:11 PM, AC1 said:

Actually, he sounds like 'one of the guys'. He could be a JWFaner, unlike Spielberg, who talks to you from his high horse, always reminding you that you're a nobody. 

maxresdefault.jpg

Wow you have issues.

• 4 weeks later...

I get it.

Superman is uncool, Superman is not relatable, this is not a “Superman-movie”...

But whatever...

Can’t even be bothered to put Superman in the artwork?

I mean, I get it, the two - so far - best grossing DC movies has been Aquaman and Wonder Woman...

Mind, that this is a rumored mock up, but it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s far from the actual product.

But still, omitting the most popular superhero of all time?

0336D1D2-C5CE-4E24-8D3D-CD99DF9108DC.jpeg

Superman was left out of a lot of the early marketing for Justice League because he "died" at the end of Batman V Superman

Yes, there was this.

CF4BB284-1E12-4B19-8638-63D52C5109D1.jpeg

But there was also this.

62BB780F-BEEF-405B-B086-BABFE5FA6B41.jpeg

Edit: But the 4K seems to be fan art, so we’ll just have to wait and see.

Incidentally, here’s another fan concept of the box art.

6E620410-9D50-4D1E-838F-7744C26734F1.jpeg

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Superman was left out of a lot of the early marketing for Justice League because he "died" at the end of Batman V Superman

Yeah honestly Justice League's marketing was all over the place, because I believe the first few promo shots he actually was there and then they started excluding him. Silly.

6 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Five years later and I still don't know the reason for killing him in the second movie of the franchise.

The idea was to let the nice goody two-shoes Superman die so that the dark Superman could be born. 

hqdefault.jpg

I wonder how this movie will be released outside of the US. HBOMax is only available there, and I don't think current conditions will leave people comfortable in watching a 4 hour movie in theaters.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Good. That's how it was meant to be seen. I'd prefer to watch it that way. 

16 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Some of the best films ever made are between 3 to 4 hours long. 

Yeah. The length is no problem for me. What I imagine might be a problem is if it's paced anything like BvS (yes, The Ultimate Edition), which I found exhausting in the worst way possible.

10 hours ago, AC1 said:

The idea was to let the nice goody two-shoes Superman die so that the dark Superman could be born. 

Lol. Sure. Too bad that I wasn't remotely invested in the new version of his character and couldn't care less when he died and felt nothing when seeing a dark version of him. He needed at least another movie before we go with that. The idea was really to speed run the story and character development to try and catch up to Marvel. 

I am very interested in how Snyder's version handles this.

38 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Some of the best films ever made are between 3 to 4 hours long. 

Yes, yes, I know, but a lot of movies are also overly long.

Especially in recent years where movies seem to be longer and longer for no reason, certainly not from a storytelling point of view.

David Lynch made an 18-hour movie; Zack Snyder is a poor imposter.  The nice thing about home streaming is that it's pretty easy to turn it into four one-hour episodes (or two two-hour movies) by just hitting pause and walking away.

2 minutes ago, mstrox said:

David Lynch made an 18-hour movie; Zack Snyder is a poor imposter.  The nice thing about home streaming is that it's pretty easy to turn it into four one-hour episodes (or two two-hour movies) by just hitting pause and walking away.

We've been doing that with video tapes and movie discs for 35 years! Sheesh, people make it sound like there was no movie viewing in the home before you could get it off the internet!

On 1/19/2021 at 6:40 AM, The Big Man said:

We've been doing that with video tapes and movie discs for 35 years! Sheesh, people make it sound like there was no movie viewing in the home before you could get it off the internet!

Indeed

• 2 weeks later...

Well, can’t say I'm not curious to see it.

Since I liked Whedon’s JL, I’m interesting to see Znyder’s “take”, even though I’ve not been impressed by his version of the DC heroes so far.

But hey! Anything can happen right?

I highly doubt that it will turn me. But I am extremely curious just from an archival / historical / filmmaking perspective to see what I assume will be a pretty different interpretation from Whedon's lighter approach. It's not everyday you get the chance to see basically an entire film done with the same cast and the same basic story around the same time, but by two different storytellers. I'll be watching for sure.

Those posters are ridiculous though. The imagery suggests the Justice League is broken and in shambles, yet they don't actually form until this movie. It's the epitome of current DC really. It's the payoff without the emotional buildup, the final struggle to cross the finish line when they've barely just begun the race, etc. Trying to create a feeling without putting any of the proper story work in. 

Imagine if these images had been prominent in multiple films and were so recognizable that seeing them in this state actually meant something. For example, when you see Cap's shield broken, it means something. It really feels like they're trying to bank off pure character recognition alone, while also touting (for example) that their Superman isn't like the ones we've had before. Can't have it both ways.

That being said, this "who cares, let's just do whatever" approach seems to be working for them, so what do I know? They're just silly popcorn movies anyway. Just annoys me when they're clearly not trying when they could. Don't get me wrong, I'm know everyone involved worked very hard to make this film, but there's an overall lack of care in the big picture sense.

13 hours ago, Jay said:

Movies don’t get rated R because of “some language.” Which means we should probably expect the “violence” to be especially gratuitous. Lovely.

On 1/18/2021 at 3:42 PM, AC1 said:

Either way,  I will watch it at home, and I will do it in two 2-hour takes. It's how I watch Cleopatra or Solyaris.

I usually watch CLEOPATRA, THE TEN COMMANDMENTS, and BEN-HUR over two nights, but SOLYARIS? Come on, Alex, that film is only three hours. A quick slash half way through, and you can polish it off, in an evening. Heck, I sat through SCHINDLER'S LIST, APOCALYPSE NOW REDUX, and J.F.K. at the cinema (the latter three times, no less!). You can do it! :)

Here's Jared Leto's Joker in Snyder's JL:

Liga da Justiça | Confira imagens do Coringa no Snyder Cut

coringa-liga-da-justica-02.jpg

Snyder also said when he will appear on the movie:

Spoiler

(Spoiler warning) Joker appears in the new film during a sequence set on a ruined Earth after the alien tyrant Darkseid invades and decimates the planet. It’s a dream sequence, a psychic vision, experienced by Ben Affleck’s Bruce Wayne that reveals what will happen if the superheroes fail to stop the onslaught. Joker is sort of the Ghost of Christmas Yet To Come, supplying motivation through terror.

“The cool thing about the scene is that it’s Joker talking directly to Batman about Batman,” Snyder said. “It’s Joker analyzing Batman about who he is and what he is. That’s the thing I also felt like fans deserved from the DC Universe. That is to say, the Jared Leto Joker and the Ben Affleck Batman, they never really got together. It seemed uncool to me that we would make it all the way through this incarnation of Batman and Joker without seeing them come together.”

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2021/02/jared-leto-joker-justice-league-zack-snyder

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

It seemed uncool to me that we would make it all the way through this incarnation of Batman and Joker without seeing them come together.

Well he does have a point there.

Should we assume this scene is actually in black and white?