Justice League movie thread

Matt C

1 hour ago, The Big Man said:

Stretched to fit the screen.

I've seen worse. There was someone I visited at one point that watched 4:3 on a 16:9 TV with that weird warped option where they stretch the sides and morph into the correct ratio in the center. Don't know how they can stand it, if someone crosses frame the get wider, then normal, and back to wide again. 

In Justice League news there are several versions of the trailer in 16:9 now. Some official outlets are using them on social. Here's one that was upscaled to 4K for no reason, for the curious on the 16:9 framing.

Whatever Snyder's intentions, may they be just to be different or to seem artsy or whatever (wouldn't be the first time). He clearly likes this ratio and this is how he wants the movie to be seen so that is how I'll watch it. It's perfectly valid to wonder about the 16:9 version though.

5 hours ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

I would say even worse than this, some parts looks like PS2 graphics...

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "star wars 3 ps2"

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "justice league snyder cut darkseid"

Snyder's movies since 300 have always looked like this, edgy, fake and very stylized, like something that came from a PS2 videogame. 

Sure, most movies these days use tons of green screen and CGI, but they at least try to bring some realism to the computer-generated images. But Snyder's style is like he gave up on trying to make this realistic and then went with something very fake.

39 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Snyder's movies since 300 have always looked like this, edgy, fake and very stylized, like something that came from a PS2 videogame. 

Sure, most movies these days use tons of green screen and CGI, but they at least try to bring some realism to the computer-generated images. But Snyder's style is like he gave up on trying to make this realistic and then went with something very fake.

I love 300 and Watchmen, but I don't like the JL aesthetic, nor video game cutscenes. So, no, I don't think Justice League looks like 300 or Watchmen. And I've came across plenty of people who are disappointed in Snyder's  DC style.

36 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I have zero problem with highly stylized movies ...

Which ones?

32 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

Whatever Snyder's intentions, may they be just to be different or to seem artsy or whatever (wouldn't be the first time). He clearly likes this ratio and this is how he wants the movie to be seen so that is how I'll watch it.

Yeah, well, maclunkey is Lucas's artistic vision as well, so....

2 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

Yeah, well, maclunkey is Lucas's artistic vision as well, so....

LOL. Lucas is such a problem for someone like me who likes to watch the original versions. Like what do I watch? I've had to just let it go with him. XD.

They've been cropping and opening up mattes for 2:35 broadcasts and streaming services for years. In some cases, it's cool, like open matte Super 35, but I saw a broadcast of Star Wars III that was so poorly cropped to 1:85, like it just sliced off the sides with no regard to the picture.

12 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

They've been cropping and opening up mattes for 2:35 broadcasts and streaming services for years. In some cases, it's cool, like open matte Super 35, but I saw a broadcast of Star Wars III that was so poorly cropped to 1:85, like it just sliced off the sides with no regard to the picture.

Mmmhmmm. They'll do that. You should see the original 4:3 TV version of Prisoner of Azkaban. It's awful. The 16:9 version is open matte as far as I've seen. I guess it just depends on how much work it is to create the open matte version.

Though sometimes they'll put in the work to open the matte and still be lazy with the way they do it. The new remaster of Buffy the Vampire Slayer is utterly destroyed. In so many shots they opened the matte and then auto cropped in to my closer than the original crop:

19 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Which ones?

Off the top of my head, things like A Scanner Darkly, Sin City, Speed Racer.  The first two aren't masterpieces, but they work a lot better than pretty much any Snyder movie, and I have a special soft spot in my heart for Speed Racer.

Edit - Scott Pilgrim is another one that comes to mind.  Less wall-to-wall than the others I mentioned, but still highly stylized.

8 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Off the top of my head, things like A Scanner Darkly, Sin City, Speed Racer.  The first two aren't masterpieces, but they work a lot better than pretty much any Snyder movie, and I have a special soft spot in my heart for Speed Racer.

I do like Sin City but I hated Speed Racer. That's a nervous ADHD kids movie. Oh, now I remember, I didn't like A Scanner Darkly either. You think it looks visually amazing? I'm not a fan of live action turned into animation film.

7 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I don't think it matters if they "look amazing visually," but I think they were stylized with a purpose.  Snyder's purpose just seems to be that he likes stuff to look So Dark, Totally Gritty and Badass.

300 looks the way it does because that's how the comic book looks. And the production design of Watchmen looks fairly natural. Photographically (compositions, lighting, camera work) it's pretty amazing and very expressive in its visual storytelling. They both are. I saw very little of that in his DC movies.

I'm probably in the minority here, but the only time I have legitimately enjoyed Zack Snyder's style was Sucker Punch. For some reason, it works really well in that movie for me. Probably all the over the top action and fantasy sequences. It just makes sense.

40 minutes ago, AC1 said:

300 looks the way it does because that's how the comic book looks. And the production design of Watchmen looks fairly natural. Photographically (compositions, lighting, camera work) it's pretty amazing and very expressive in its visual storytelling. They both are. I saw very little of that in his DC movies.

I personnally don't find any of the Snyder's movie beautiful. It's not because you just take a beautiful comics and turned it into a motion picture, box by box that you make a great movie or one which looks visually good. And those slow motions ... beurk they're hideous most of the time. Pizza is good but filming two minutes a slice of it is not as good (or it is...)

1 minute ago, mstrox said:

Snyder's visual style has only worked in The Owls of Gahoole, one of the better Gahoole-themed movies, owl-wise.

I never saw that and had absolutely zero idea that Snyder directed it. That's weird.

2 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

It's his only kid-friendly movie, and even so it's pretty violent for a PG movie.

I may have to check that out just because of curiosity. I would've never imagined he'd do a movie like that.

48 minutes ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

It's not because you just take a beautiful comics and turned it into a motion picture, box by box that you make a great movie or one which looks visually good. 

Only ... it does look good visually. Just because Snyder used the comic books as storyboards does not change that.  But more importantly, it's very expressive, which is strange because it's so strongly based on static material. You can perfectly watch 300 without the dialogue. It's one of only a handful movies where the visual direction somehow puts me in a trance.  When art can do that, it becomes the ultimate experience. 

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

Only ... it does look good visually. Just because Snyder used the comic books as storyboards does not change that.  But more importantly, it's very expressive, which is strange because it's so strongly based on static material. You can perfectly watch 300 without the dialogue. It's one of only a handful movies where the visual direction somehow puts me in a trance.  When art can do that, it becomes the ultimate experience. 

Well I didn't find so but it's just my opinion. I do understand why some like it, like some like Sin City but to me it's just too much. Each time I've watched one of those I had a huge headache for few hours (just speaking of it gives me a headache :P). Thoses stylized images are good on comics book because you can choose how long you look at it, if you find one uninterresting well you quickly move to the other but in movie you have to watch each of them too longly.

11 hours ago, TSMefford said:

I'm probably in the minority here, but the only time I have legitimately enjoyed Zack Snyder's style was Sucker Punch. For some reason, it works really well in that movie for me. Probably all the over the top action and fantasy sequences. It just makes sense.

I don't know about Zack Snyder's "style", as that's Alexcremers' thing, but Vanessa Hudgens was a sexy babe in that one.

@TSMefford Thank you for breaking down your viewpoints and keeping a cool head. I apologize if I came across as a bit hotheaded.

I do suspect that we agree on a lot on the topic, your stance being from at more technical perspective, mine being more from the case of this particular movie, which I guess caused some misunderstandings. And it just rubbed me the wrong way, I guess.

However, we do seem to be of different minds when it comes to this: Artistic intention.

We both agree that an artist who creates something is free to do whatever he wants. OK. So where do our standpoints part? Here's where I want to get specific and look at the outcome. Here, the arguments also turn highly subjective.

For the 4:3 cut of JL, it seems that you wholeheartedly defend Snyder’s decision to reformat the movie, simply because it's his movie, he's free to do what he wants with it. And you seem to think that I'm a bit of a hypocrite when I criticize his choice of doing so, simply because I don't want him to do it.

Well, my reasoning is this. He's free to do whatever he wants. But I don't have to like that decision. For me, a good project can be damaged by bad decisions and this is - in my view - a bad decision. It can also be the choice of composer, how the movie is edited, etc etc. No choice the artist makes is above criticism - for good or ill.

Well, I don't mean to drag this out, just wanted to clarify a few thoughts, since I didn't have the time to engage for a couple of days.

@rough cut It's all good! I enjoy having discussions here, especially over differences. I didn't find you to be too hot-headed. :lol: In that case, I usually don't see a point to engage as I don't think we'll ever come to understand each other, so I just step away. But it seemed like we just had some misunderstandings, which makes sense considering it's a pretty complicated and subjective conversation to an extent. I'm certainly willing to keep cool and put forth the effort in that case.

To reiterate. I think it is perfectly fine to have the opinion that it's a bad decision. I don't actually necessarily wholeheartedly defend the decision either in this specific case for Justice League.

To do my best at keeping it somewhat short: I think Director's should shoot for and release the aspect ratio they want, regardless of how any of us feel about it. We could discuss how good or bad of a decision it is forever and neither of us would be "right" necessarily. That being said, I actually think the Justice League team took the lazy route when filming and framed shots to work in both ratios while shooting, which ends up diminishing both ratios off and on throughout the movie. So, it's not a model film for 4:3 or 16:9 framing really, but if that's what Snyder wants to do then I say he should go for it. He's the dude in charge. You're totally right though that you don't have to like it. That's why I advocated using the crop in feature on TVs since thats a decision you can make to view it closer to how the 16:9 version would've looked.

Basically, I don't necessarily defend the framing itself, but rather his decision to release it that way. And of course I also defend a Director's ability to decide whatever ratio he wants to shoot for initially. Whether or not the ratio is a good idea is entirely up for discussion. I just don't support saying that Director's should all shoot in 16:9 from the get go as I think the ratio is a part of creative storytelling.

In the end, my goal was to say: Technically and factually speaking this isn't a 4:3 cropped image, it's the entire film negative (to quash the misconception that there is picture "missing") and Snyder should release the film, however he pleases. You are absolutely correct though that you don't have to like it. I just don't think we can say that he never should've had the opportunity to release it the way he wants. Does that make sense?

Justice League director’s cut will not only be available in the U.S. but will now be made available worldwide in all markets on the same day as its HBO Max debut on Thursday, March 18, 2021

The four-hour long feature will be available in each market through the following distribution options: PVOD, PEST, EST, SVOD, TVOD, HBO linear and on HBO Go (in HBO Europe and HBO Asia territories), or via a local TV provider.

Is it confirmed that it will be 4:3 on all services?  Or will be be 4:3 on HBO Max and 16:9 everywhere else?

Remember, they released 16:9 versions of the trailer in international markets

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

Is it confirmed that it will be 4:3 on all services?  Or will be be 4:3 on HBO Max and 16:9 everywhere else?

Honestly. It's unclear.

Snyder himself is a bit of an unreliable narrator, although I'm sure he had to fight with WB over releasing the full 4:3 (1.33:1) negative that he seems to want, so perhaps things just were constantly changing as to what they'd allow, but at one point he said it would be 1.66:1, which is the European Widescreen standard (1.85:1 is the American Equivalent):

5r4bbhzw4n351.jpg

That was back in May, before we saw any official material of the new cut. Lo and behold the american HBO Max trailers ended up in 1.33:1. Basically, I have no idea. I don't know that anyone does. If the international trailer are indeed the cropped 16:9, then I think it would be safe to assume it will be 16:9 for them.

I also assume that if it ever gets a theatrical exhibition then it will be in 16:9 for standard theaters and 1.33:1 for IMAX. That's just my assumption though.

2 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

I also assume that if it ever gets a theatrical exhibition then it will be in 16:9 for standard theaters and 1.33:1 for IMAX

That part is certain, I think.

I wouldn't be surprised if HBO Max carries both versions, kind of like Disney+ has both versions of the SD era of The Simpsons, and you have to find some obscure setting to make sure you see the 4:3 versions of them

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

I wouldn't be surprised if HBO Max carries both versions, kind of like Disney+ has both versions of the SD era of The Simpsons, and you have to find some obscure setting to make sure you see the 4:3 versions of them

Probably, especially considering the collective confusion across the net over what people are actually looking at when they see the 1.33:1 version.

I fully support that and hope they do. If it bothers people that much, then they should be given the option to watch it that way if they please. Like I've said, I'll stick to the Director's wishes though.

By the way, I also didn't realize that Disney+ had added the proper SD era versions of Simpsons now so thanks for the heads up. I knew they were going to after the initial backlash of only having the cropped 16:9 versions available, but honestly never knew when they'd get around to it. Several of their shows have episodes still out of order, so I had low expectations. Lol. Sounds like they made it harder to do than it should be though. 

EDIT: Also, to stir up more aspect ratio trouble, because why not. If the Justice League widescreen ratio used will indeed be 1.66:1, then there will still be black bars on the sides:

1.66:1 (A taller image than 16:9, so it has black bars on the sides)

e8qx832csn351.jpg

1.85:1 (The ratio of the theatrical cut, just slightly shorter than 16:9)

yjxzipsx5n351.jpg

1.77:1 (True 16:9, filling the home TV sets)

xydi2ne16n351.jpg

Oh yea, they added the proper 4:3 versions back in May 2020.

The setting to see them that way is called "Remastered Aspect Ratio" and you have to turn it off to see them that way

https://www.theverge.com/21273476/simpsons-original-4-3-aspect-ratio-disney-plus-stream-how-to

48 minutes ago, Jay said:

have they released a 16:9 version of the Snyder Cut trailer?

You're quoting a post form where when I said they did, yea.

There's one on this page of the thread, that's how I know about it:

On 2/16/2021 at 10:08 AM, TSMefford said:

In Justice League news there are several versions of the trailer in 16:9 now. Some official outlets are using them on social. Here's one that was upscaled to 4K for no reason, for the curious on the 16:9 framing.

16 minutes ago, Jay said:

You're quoting a post form where when I said they did, yea.

There's one on this page of the thread, that's how I know about it:

I don't this this legit. This is just zoomed. You can see some shots are cut off at the top for example the Dark Seid shot and specially the credits in the last few seconds which are cut off.

If this were a legit 16:9, the trailer would have been reformatted and the credits rearranged for a 16:9 aspect ratio.

Since they haven't been, this might be akin to a fan edit.

EDIT: Also is that a legit HBO channel?

Ah, didn't realize it was a fake cropping of the 4:3 trailer.  I just saw it was posted, never actually watched it

2 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Per my knowledge, official footage has only been released in 4:3. 

So I would imagine that to be the final AR for all streaming, any theatrical showings or any home video releases.

That specific link is probably a fan edit you're correct. Actually looking at it again, Snyder's Justice League has only been "confirmed" in two aspect ratios: 1.66:1 and the 1.33:1 ratio we've received in the HBO Max Trailers. Whoever formatted the trailer did it in 1.85:1. So there wouldn't be as big an issue with stuff getting cut off as much since it's more vertical than 1.85:1.

It seems the version of the 16:9 trailer I saw in the wild was on RottenTomatoes and also appears to be cropped by them. Silly me for assuming they got something official. Oh well. I still imagine HBOMax will have a cropped version of the film ready.

Here's a more accurately framed 1.66:1 I just cooked up. I also adjusted the vertical framing in places:

13 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

That specific link is probably a fan edit you're correct. Actually looking at it again, Snyder's Justice League has only been "confirmed" in two aspect ratios: 1.66:1 and the 1.33:1 ratio we've received in the HBO Max Trailers. Whoever formatted the trailer did it in 1.85:1. So there wouldn't be as big an issue with stuff getting cut off as much since it's more vertical than 1.85:1.

It seems the version of the 16:9 trailer I saw in the wild was on RottenTomatoes and also appears to be cropped by them. Silly me for assuming they got something official. Oh well. I still imagine HBOMax will have a cropped version of the film ready.

Here's a more accurately framed 1.66:1 I just cooked up. I also adjusted the vertical framing in places:

The 1.66 is also not true. It was a single comment from Snyder on a third rate social media platform. It has no validity and Snyder so often bungles details that his word is completely unreliable. Also the 1.66 comment predates the premiere of the trailer or the clip or the teaser. So I think Snyder simply misspoke.

We have only 1 official aspect ratio - and that is the ratio in which all official material from official channels has been released  - and that is 1.33.

Also the video you posted isn't appearing for me. It says request access I think.

20 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

The 1.66 is also not true. It was a single comment from Snyder on a third rate social media platform. It has no validity and Snyder so often bungles details that his word is completely unreliable. Also the 1.66 comment predates the premiere of the trailer or the clip or the teaser. So I think Snyder simply misspoke.

We have only 1 official aspect ratio - and that is the ratio in which all official material from official channels has been released  - and that is 1.33.

Yes, you're right. I actually already addressed the iffy-ness about it above. I wouldn't say the platform had anything to do with it though... it is actually Snyder:

5 hours ago, TSMefford said:

Snyder himself is a bit of an unreliable narrator, although I'm sure he had to fight with WB over releasing the full 4:3 (1.33:1) negative that he seems to want, so perhaps things just were constantly changing as to what they'd allow, but at one point he said it would be 1.66:1, which is the European Widescreen standard (1.85:1 is the American Equivalent).

That was back in May, before we saw any official material of the new cut. Lo and behold the american HBO Max trailers ended up in 1.33:1. Basically, I have no idea. I don't know that anyone does. If the international trailer are indeed the cropped 16:9, then I think it would be safe to assume it will be 16:9 for them.

I suppose I shouldn't say "confirmed" but rather we only have two available options that have been mentioned by Snyder or shown through official sources. Plus, Zack Snyder may be supervising the 1.33:1 version of the film, but that certainly doesn't mean HBO or WB won't get someone on creating a 1.66:1 version, especially since it seems it was at least considered at one point. It was true at one point.

20 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Also the video you posted isn't appearing for me. It says request access I think.

Fixed. It should work now.