Justice League movie thread

Matt C

4 hours ago, Edmilson said:

:angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

Zack Snyder Threatened to Quit Snyder Cut After Studio Pulled New Green Lantern Scene

John Stewart, DC Comics' first African-American superhero, was removed from "Zack Snyder's Justice League."

Threatening to quit your own project that has your name on it over creative differences. Another mark of an artiste'.

As a fan of the Green Lantern comics, the removal of John Stewart (or any other Lantern) is pretty sad. I just hope WB didn't let Snyder use Stewart because they are actually moving forward with their plans for the Green Lantern Corps.

19 hours ago, Edmilson said:

As a fan of the Green Lantern comics, the removal of John Stewart (or any other Lantern) is pretty sad. I just hope WB didn't let Snyder use Stewart because they are actually moving forward with their plans for the Green Lantern Corps.

That shouldn't have mattered. He did tons of other shit in this movie that doesn't fit with the "canon" now. So, imo, they should've just let him do it

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Anyone who have watched the movie should watch this video later, it's a great analysys of Snyder's style and ideology:

Thanks for sharing that. VERY informative in talking about why this film I find more enjoyable than most of his others. Also an interesting look into how his world view bleeds into his films and how it makes them boring as hell. Lol.

This "movie" was garbage. Cool shots galore...but to call it a "movie" would indeed require a stretch of the imagination.

It's a hot mess of a collection of indulgent scenes. And speaks to pretty much everything wrong with big "movies" these days. Snyder and team really capitalized on the whole "censored auteurship" narrative to elevate this to fanboy holy grail territory. But let's be real. Under any normal box office release, this would be trashed just as much as BvS.

To its credit though, it is very Snyder.

2 hours ago, KK said:

It's a hot mess 

Not sure if I agree. IMO, characters were well presented (thanks to lengthier running time) and storytelling had a surprising clarity. In a way, everything felt a bit too familiar and safe (except for its slow pacing, of course), clearly aiming at a broad audience*. And apparently, given the audience's reaction, it paid off.

* with moments to make the American audience cheer (if it played in theaters) and wave with their plastic lightsabers (if it was a Star Wars movie)

8 hours ago, KK said:

This "movie" was garbage. Cool shots galore...but to call it a "movie" would indeed require a stretch of the imagination.

What is this thing with people carelessly calling movies, music, TV, etc. that they don't like "garbage"? (or the ever popular "hot garbage" variant). I mean, come on, that's a little harsh isn't it? Even if you don't care for it, a lot of talented artists, craftspeople, etc. worked on this film and no doubt poured their heart and soul into it. Though the end result might be lacking, it's not garbage by any stretch.

2 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

What is this thing with people carelessly calling movies, music, TV, etc. that they don't like "garbage"?

I agree with Nick1066

On 3/29/2021 at 12:12 PM, Jay said:

The internet has really turned almost all discussion into binary ones. Every thing is either good or bad, a masterpiece or shit, black or white, up or down.  Nuance has really been receding in a lot of discourse in recent times.

30 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

I like how some people need a Honest Trailer to admit how ridiculous this "film" is. 

What movies do you like? I'll then check Honest Trailer to see if they are not ridiculous. 

6 hours ago, AC1 said:

Not sure if I agree. IMO, characters were well presented (thanks to lengthier running time) and storytelling had a surprising clarity. In a way, everything felt a bit too familiar and safe (except for its slow pacing, of course), clearly aiming at a broad audience*. And apparently, given the audience's reaction, it paid off.

* with moments to make the American audience cheer (if it played in theaters) and wave with their plastic lightsabers (if it was a Star Wars movie)

See, I’m not sure the length is entirely justified. The characters are developed, sure, even if they play to an all-too-familiar formula, but their setups far overstay their welcome. Everything feels like it needs a proper editor. It’s as if a bunch of moments were shot, and then assembled with the most loosely defined idea of architecture. The rhythm of cinema is distinctly missing.

Also, slow motion and a rock song can’t be your solution to everything Mr. Snyder. As pretty as it might look, you start to hit the point of diminishing returns.

40 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

What is this thing with people carelessly calling movies, music, TV, etc. that they don't like "garbage"? (or the ever popular "hot garbage" variant). I mean, come on, that's a little harsh isn't it? Even if you don't care for it, a lot of talented artists, craftspeople, etc. worked on this film and no doubt poured their heart and soul into it. Though the end result might be lacking, it's not garbage by any stretch.

Many people can work hard on something and still turn in a turd (cough The Hobbit cough). It happens more often than not with these massive pictures, because somewhere in the making of these machines, you lose sight of how well it all actually plays. 

I think it’s entirely fair for me to express my disdain for seeing exorbitantly large sums of money thrown at something with such inherently obvious (and fixable) flaws. From its present form, to the way it’s been released kind of screams all the bad ways in which streaming is dismantling form and storytelling in big movies now. And I’m sure the hard working people at Team Snyder have the film’s enormous fan base to make them feel better and more secure about their work. My opinion shouldn’t hurt their feelings much. 

3 minutes ago, KK said:

See, I’m not sure the length is entirely justified.

It's definitely very long (they even were contemplating to wheel it into a miniseries in the beginning) but I watched it as two movies and that helps. Say what you want, but Snyder did turn Cyborg, who was a non-character in Whedon's take, into the best character of the movie. I even was thinking: Give this guy his own movie!

19 minutes ago, KK said:

Also, slow motion and a rock song can’t be your solution to everything Mr. Snyder.

I hear many people complaining about the amount of slo-mo in this movie, but to be honest, I didn't notice it. Even today my son said that 20% of JL is slow motion and I go "really?!" I seem to be immune to it.

17 minutes ago, AC1 said:

It's definitely very long (they even were contemplating to wheel it into a miniseries in the beginning) but I watched it as two movies and that helps. Say what you want, but Snyder did turn Cyborg, who was a non-character in Whedon's take, into the best character of the movie. I even was thinking: Give this guy his own movie!

I never watched the Whedon film. I imagine Snyder's film would have to be better, if only because that's how the film was originally designed. No bastardized retake was going to turn out very well.

And you're right, this probably would have worked better as a miniseries (the chapter cards already do that for us). But what does that say about big movies these days? We've come to the age where people just want content. So let's just shoot a bunch of cool looking stuff, assemble it into a sequence and put it out there. People will dig it up anyway, because they can just hit pause whenever they want.

I think that's why every scene feels longer than it has to. Some of those early Wonder Woman sequences felt ridiculous.

18 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Say what you want, but Snyder did turn Cyborg, who was a non-character in Whedon's take, into the best character of the movie.

Doesn't sound to hard when you see how shitty the other characters are... But of course it's just my opinion.

11 minutes ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

Doesn't sound to hard when you see how shitty the other characters are... But of course it's just my opinion.

Of course, it doesn't reach the depths of Marvel, but what does?

10 hours ago, KK said:

Under any normal box office release, this would be trashed just as much as BvS.

I would prefer either version of this film over BvS for the record.

59 minutes ago, KK said:

It’s as if a bunch of moments were shot, and then assembled with the most loosely defined idea of architecture. The rhythm of cinema is distinctly missing.

I don't think the film is awesome or even great by any means, but I am so tired of everything having to follow the traditional three-act structure. I don't give a damn about that. Personally, I did not notice the length at all. I found the film surprisingly well-paced. It's interesting to me that this felt well-paced at four hours where Batman V Superman felt so very very slow at just 2.5 to 3 hours or so.

2 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Of course, it doesn't reach the depths of Marvel, but what does?

Rocket GIFs | Tenor

This isn't about Marvel or DC here. Regardless of the studio for who Snyder is working he hasn't been able to construct interresting character (and don't you talk about Watchman which is a pale copy of the comics)

Now if you were sarcastic I just want to inform you that I trully don't care about this war between Marvel fans and DC fans, both studio have shown in the past they were able to do the best and the worse.

1 hour ago, Nick1066 said:

Totally agreed here. You do not have to love it or hate it. I certainly don't love this film, but I am no where near hating it either. It's got plenty of problems, but I enjoyed it. 

As someone else pointed out though: I also don't think people working hard on the film should, by default, give it points. Most people have to work hard on any film they make, even a film like Birdemic.

What I am willing to give points to though is a clear indicator that these people cared about the film they were working on. Even Batman V Superman, which is one of the worst blockbusters I've ever seen, suffers mainly from massive writing issues. The cast is good, as is their acting (for the most part), the film is well-made and well-shot from a technical standpoint, the score is well-produced (even if I don't like the compositions), and a ton of sound designers and stunt teams clearly gave a lot of effort with good results. If these people didn't care and the film was truly garbage, then there'd be absolutely nothing good to say about it, but that's simply not true from a technical standpoint.

7 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

I don't think the film is awesome or even great by any means, but I am so tired of everything having to follow the traditional three-act structure. I don't give a damn about that. Personally, I did not notice the length at all. I found the film surprisingly well-paced. It's interesting to me that this felt well-paced at four hours where Batman V Superman felt so very very slow at just 2.5 to 3 hours or so.

I don't even mind twisting the broader 3 act structure (though this film clearly follows that same arc, just in a more sluggish pace). I felt that individual scenes were strangely paced. The battle back at Wonder Woman's home planet that never seemed to end. Individual character setups that chewed on scenery (I think Aquaman had at least 2-3 intro scenes?). The talky, expositional "check-ins" with Steppenwolf and his master felt like major amateur hour. And the epilogue was nonsense, but I guess that one was for the fans. A sharper editor/director could have easily trimmed this all down into a much sharper film.

2 hours ago, The Big Man said:

I'm not big on the idea either that a film has merit just because people worked hard on it.

I'm working hard to ignore it...

Justice League comics had the appeal of having a group of individuals with different characters. 

Snyder turned all of them into moping bores, and included Flash as Token Funny Guy. 

Snyder hates Superman and all he stands for. Scratch the ideals, scratch the obvious Americana, scratch the colors of the costume - one comic story gave him the excuse to finally make it BLACK. 

Sure. But it's supposed to be some other dimension or something? I'm not sure. I was basically referring to the world she came from.

From what I remember from the first WW movie, it's just a normal earth island, simply hidden via magic.

IIRC, Chris Pine is a normal WW1 fighter pilot from normal earth, and crash lands there

I don’t care if people think and express that something is “garbage,” but my bigger problem is that they then continue to engage in the discourse by repeating it ad nauseum to people who just want to discuss something.  Nothing wrong with saying “it’s not for me” and moving on.

9 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Nothing wrong with saying “it’s not for me” and moving on.

Aye, I wish more people took this advice

48 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Nothing wrong with saying “it’s not for me” and moving on.

I try my best to do that. I'm not always successful obviously, but typically if it's something that isn't for me, I don't really even venture into the threads for it. Usually why I stay out of the Zimmer score ones altogether. Lol. 

I don't get any satisfaction by trolling threads for things just to shout from the rooftops how much I hate something. The most I do is try to understand why other people like something, especially when it seems like a majority of people like it and I do not. So sometimes I'll ask questions and voice what didn't work for me and see what their thoughts are.

I thought the film had a really great mix of humor and pathos.  The characters here are far warmer than any of Snyder's previous films.

I also thought the 4:3 aspect ratio worked because superheroes are kind of like modern day tall tales

2 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

I also thought the 4:3 aspect ratio worked because superheroes are kind of like modern day tall tales

What is the connection you have between tall tales and 4:3?

15 hours ago, Raiders of the SoundtrArk said:

Rocket GIFs | Tenor

This isn't about Marvel or DC here. Regardless of the studio for who Snyder is working he hasn't been able to construct interresting character (and don't you talk about Watchman which is a pale copy of the comics)

Now if you were sarcastic I just want to inform you that I trully don't care about this war between Marvel fans and DC fans, both studio have shown in the past they were able to do the best and the worse.

What's an interesting character to you? It's still a comic book movie. This time Cyborg is a good character, someone I can see doing a solo movie. Batman shows he's the leader even though he's the least  powerful of the bunch. If it's all completely uninteresting to you, then to what are you comparing it with? I really want to know. All they want you to do it to root for them while they are fighting evil. This isn't Kubrick or Tarkovsky. 

11 hours ago, AC1 said:

What's an interesting character to you? It's still a comic book movie. This time Cyborg a good character, someone I can see doing a solo movie. Batman shows he's the leader even though he's the least  powerful of the bunch. If it's all completely uninteresting to you, then to what are you comparing it with? I really want to know. All they want you to do it to root for them while they are fighting evil. This isn't Kubrick or Tarkovsky. 

In the same kind of movie, I'll go for the Guardians of the Galaxy, Logan, Kick Ass or Thor: Ragnarok which all have characterd largely more interesting with more interresting relationships and exchanges than this JL. But again it's just my opinion, feel free to disagree.

[edit] I didn't mentioned TDK as there is less characters nor Men in Black for the same obvious reason although both are far less longer

On 4/1/2021 at 8:06 AM, The Big Man said:

I'd never heard of this Cyborg character before seeing JL.

I'd never seen him in DC cartoons, shows like Smallville, etc.

Actually, Cyborg/Victor Stone was  in Smallville...but he looked a bit different.

Walt on Twitter: "Smallville Doom Patrol… "

I forgot how silly he looked in that show. All the robot parts were on the inside lol.

1 hour ago, TSMefford said:

Actually, Cyborg/Victor Stone was  in Smallville...but he looked a bit different.

Walt on Twitter: "Smallville Doom Patrol… "

I forgot how silly he looked in that show. All the robot parts were on the inside lol.

At the beginning I though it was a low cost costume but apparently not :lol:

The Joker scene that was in the movie was actually the best moment for me. It's the only scene I found visually fascinating: the unworldly setting, the '300' color hue, the slow pan shot of Joker's arm all the way to his shaking pointing finger, ... This was not a world Joker could live for a very long time and yet there he was ... If only the movie was more like this.