Justice League movie thread

Matt C

According to Latino Review's El Mayimbe on Twitter, he has the inside scoop on who will direct the long-gestating DC movie that teams up Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, and Flash. It was in the works long before last year's The Avengers revitalized WB's interest in it.

http://twitter.com/e...565592906727424

And before people start questioning Latino Review's scoops as legitimate or not... they've broken over a dozen news that panned out. Such as Christian Bale getting cast as Bruce Wayne/Batman in 2004, Brandon Routh as Superman in 2005, and Heath Ledger cast as the Joker on July 2006. (You'll have to Google the news items, the original links are dead.)

So it'll be a director WB likes, which could be dozens.

I've heard angsty Batman will take a step back because his powers are no match for the incredible intergalactic forces that will threaten Earth in the Justice League movie. His role will be an advisory one.

Alex

I call BS. We all know that this movie was only greenlit when the Avengers turned huge.

sure it's been in developmental hell for ages, but it's just copycat syndrome at work.

I call BS. We all know that this movie was only greenlit when the Avengers turned huge.

Actually, WB restarted JL when The Avengers was filming, by hiring Will Beall to pen a new script. Yes, the massive success of Avengers lit a fire under WB's ass to do the same with Justice League.

It could end up good, depending on who directs.

Marvel spent years familiarizing the audience with the Avengers characters, and ultimately reaped the profits of its enormous success.

Warner Brothers never went through that careful planning. Like BloodBoal said, people don't care about half the characters. So no, it won't be as successful.

it will be successful, 600+ million probably not since only 3 films have ever reached that amount.

Marvel spent years familiarizing the audience with the Avengers characters, and ultimately reaped the profits of its enormous success.

Warner Brothers never went through that careful planning. Like BloodBoal said, people don't care about half the characters. So no, it won't be as successful.

This will never be as big a success as The Avengers, because, seriously, who gives a shit about characters such as Wonder Woman, Green Lantern and Flash? I mean, outside of the US, most people know these characters only by name and how they look like, two of them didn't have a film to prepare for this one, the third one had a mediocre film... The director has to be über good in order for this to make a lot of money.

A person I know (who works in Hollywood) wrote this nice item about how the execs at Warner Brothers thinks. It boils down to money, pre-established films (aka no backstory to mess with), and simply that it costs less to exercise an actor's sequel options than to recast him/her with someone else.

The only thing that made Justice League successful and so well-known is because DC & WB are so successful in the realm of animation that they beat Marvel & Disney in terms of quality and quantity. DC & WB have produced truly successful animation series and home video movies over the years.

So Marvel/Disney beat DC/WB in theatrical live-action films while DC/WB beat them out in animation series/home video films.

never cast megan fox in any big budget film again.

I think one consideration is how well Man of Steel does. If the film does beyond expectation that would bode well but what if like Prometheus Man of Steel fails to deliver?

Joey's correct, this Superman film needs to perform.

My guess is if it doesn't, WB will reboot Batman. The Green Lantern failed and they can't even get Wonder Woman going on TV.

Man, that JLU intro music...how'd we get there from this?

As to JL, I'm really irritated by the seemingly responsive approach WB is taking here. It'll be even worse if they do indeed try to dovetail with Nolan's trilogy--it just wasn't constructed to do that.

I think whoever ends up directing will either make or break the project. If they get a director who can have some creative clout (instead of taking it from behind by studio execs), it'll be more promising.

Justice League is officially on hold until Warners sees how Man of Steel performs.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/26051/-justice-league-depends-on-steel-success

As much as I thought the Avengers was ordinary it did have the value of having followed up Ironman, Captain America, Thor, and Hulk films. Hawkeye and Black Widow had already made their big screen appearances elsewhere.

Justice League does not have that same set up, true Batman and Superman have films, but there is no Wonder Woman, Flash, or Aquaman films. Batman is dead for all intent and purposes. Superman is an unknown quantity. WB and DC are wise to wait and see approach. Oh I forgot the Green Lantern, I'm SURE that's not intentional

I'd love to see a Flash film. Next to Superman he's my favorite DC hero.

• 4 weeks later...

According to Latino Review (who has a solid record of breaking WB-related scoops), Christopher Nolan has taken over the DC section at Warner Brothers. He will be producing Justice League with Zack Snyder, who will possibly direct the film. Both Nolan and Snyder want Christian Bale to reprise his role as Batman, and team him up with Man of Steel's Henry Cavill.

http://latino-review.com/2013/03/03/exclusive-dcu-takeover-huge-developments-justice-league/

If WB can get this film rolling, without retconning TDKR's ending, will certainly be one to look out for.

Not really, no. You don't like Nolan to be the producer? You don't want Bale reprising his role as Batman? You don't want Snyder to direct? You don't want Nolan and Snyder taking over the DC department?

Because?

Personally, I'm intrigued, if it's true, of course. It could mean that the people of WB are very enthusiastic about Man Of Steel and the collaboration between Nolan and Snyder.

Because it is quite obvious there are no possible artistic reasons for this. Only financial ones. Nolan's Batman take was interesting, but I was hoping for him to return to doing some other films. Big, small, whatever - as long as they're different.

Karol

I was thinking that too but Nolan as a producer means he can work on entirely different movies while Snyder as the director is chained to DC projects for the next 5 years.

Because it is quite obvious there are no possible artistic reasons for this. Only financial ones. Nolan's Batman take was interesting, but I was hoping for him to return to doing some other films. Big, small, whatever - as long as they're different.

Karol

I don't think Nolan would've agreed to 'take over DC' unless there was something in it for him. It pretty much guarantees Nolan will stay put on the Burbank lot and whatever he wants to direct himself, WB has given him carte blanche to do so.

Not to mention his role in Justice League would be limited like Man of Steel was. He drafted the story outline with David Goyer, pitched it to WB, got the director, had a hand with casting and got the film greenlighted... then he let Snyder make the movie. Seems to be a similar outlook with Justice League.

Remember guys, Spielberg's attached to dozens of projects, but he only directs one or two of those. Seems like Nolan will be in the same boat.

I do hope this news is true. Nolan definitely has a mind for these types of films, as he did a great job of blending ideas from multiple comics stories into a satisfying film experience. I know they're not everyone's thing, but he at least has respect for the comic world, which seems largely absent in most films adapted from the genre. Considering his track record, I doubt it was hard for WB to give Nolan a long term deal to develop projects at the studio while overseeing their comics world. Its worked for Speilberg since the 80s so why not Nolan now. As the previous couple of posts suggested, this is more of an advisory role probably than anything, but lending his name to the production will not only help to give future projects more respect, but will also likely help to attract better talent to them.

Hopefully this turns out to be true, because the leak of what the JL movie could have been sounded worse than anything Nolan's done in his career.

I do hope this news is true. Nolan definitely has a mind for these types of films, as he did a great job of blending ideas from multiple comics stories into a satisfying film experience. I know they're not everyone's thing, but he at least has respect for the comic world, which seems largely absent in most films adapted from the genre. Considering his track record, I doubt it was hard for WB to give Nolan a long term deal to develop projects at the studio while overseeing their comics world. Its worked for Speilberg since the 80s so why not Nolan now. As the previous couple of posts suggested, this is more of an advisory role probably than anything, but lending his name to the production will not only help to give future projects more respect, but will also likely help to attract better talent to them.

Hopefully this turns out to be true, because the leak of what the JL movie could have been sounded worse than anything Nolan's done in his career.

If you're talking about the aborted Justice League: Mortal, which George Miller was set to direct... then yes, it could be a LOT worse.

I'm with Karol. The Dark Knight Trilogy was its own self-contained animal. Opening that up to the DC universe is something it wasn't created for, and it causes way too many problems, with the biggest one being the oft-cited, "If superheroes are real in the TDK universe, where the hell were they when Bane was threatening Gotham with a nuke?" Another one is that Bale being involved as Batman would utterly spoil the point of the whole bloody trilogy.

I trust Nolan enough as a filmmaker that if he wanted to incorporate his Batman into another universe, I'd give it a shot. We'll all probably end up seeing this movie either way, I'd rather have someone with talent supporting it.