X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014 film directed by Bryan Singer)

Matt C

While I agree, PROMETHEUS (I know who you are!), the first film seems to be getting more and more interesting as the time goes by. It's such a rarity among this group - small, intimate, almost theater-like affair with unusual score (where not undone by Klaus, that is).

Karol

X-MEN 2 is still my favourite of the lot.

Mine too. The only points against it is the all too obvious "coming out" scene, which feels like it's from a TV movie of the week, and the fact that nearing the end, Singer does really lean on the ending for The Wrath Of Khan a bit too much.

While I agree, PROMETHEUS (I know who you are!), the first film seems to be getting more and more interesting as the time goes by. It's such a rarity among this group - small, intimate, almost theater-like affair with unusual score (where not undone by Klaus, that is).

Karol

Klaus?

Karol

The first one is excellent too, but suffers a bit from being shot and edited very fast (the release date was suddenly pushed forward 6 months). Some scenes, like the poisoning of Professor X are shot and edited without any apparent drama. And the special effects are quite rough, even for a film of that year.

You're referring to the first X-Men? Michael Kamen scored that....

Yes, but after that Klaus was brought in to "techno" is up a bit.

Karol

Kamen's theme for Logan and Rogue is just exquisite -- one of the best things Kamen wrote in his lifetime. Expansive with a sense of fragility and poignancy. It's a shame Ottman didn't reference it in X2, but I don't think there was a chance to use it either.

Looks very promising, epic. I found the music choice to be cliche myself, but certainly not as much as the Inception BRRRRM or general Zimmer wall of sound.

X-MEN 2 is still my favourite of the lot.

mine too even though it owes Wrath of Khan more than a handshake.

I am very encourage by this trailer, and regardless anytime Picard is on screen I pay attention.

By going back to the time of the First Class cast, whatever event that they have to go back in time to prevent would have already happened before the first X-Men movie, putting the original trilogy well on the path to destruction. Or else we are supposed to see those films as having been fixed by this incursion. Time travel is so confusing.

I highly doubt the focus of the film could be Senator Kelly as shown in the comics without this film simply undoing the plot of the first film, which is too narrow minded for this saga. I wonder what else is up their sleeve.

Any feeling of continuity was ruined for this particular franchise after the third one. X-Men Origins, X-Men Firts Class and The Wolverine are full of contradictions to the first 3 films and each other....

you worry too much, the basics are in place, it's not like Vulcan is destroyed as seen from a planet so far away that it would at best be a star winking out, or a villain going on a rampage of revenge because his home world is destroy even though he now has the time and means to save his world...

But how good can it be? It's still just a part of a milking process. The essence of the material has been said (several times now) and the initial wonderment of the first two is already behind us. Singer should've done something new, fresh and unexpected, like writing/directing one of the new Star Wars movies ... Oh wait!

Blast it, I do think Singer would be perfect for the next SW saga.

Mine too. The only points against it is the all too obvious "coming out" scene, which feels like it's from a TV movie of the week,

It might be all too obvious but many people have received identical reactions in real life.

My favourite part is the one when Magneto asks Pyro about his true name.

Mine too. The only points against it is the all too obvious "coming out" scene, which feels like it's from a TV movie of the week,

It might be all too obvious but many people have received identical reactions in real life.

Yeah, those "scenes" tend to look like TV dramas anyway.

Whatever the quality of the actual thing, it's nice to see Stewart/McKellen combo squaring off against Fassbender/McAvoy... that aspect in itself makes the whole thing interesting. Even if the concept doesn't look anything like the other films.

Karol

Finally watched the trailer... doesn't really show much. Seems like an odd story. Odd we don't get to see the Sentinels or any big action sequences really.

Finally watched the trailer... doesn't really show much. Seems like an odd story. Odd we don't get to see the Sentinels or any big action sequences really.

Singer: "Tomorrow's trailer is primarily a character piece, as most of our VFX are not yet finished."

Maybe they're not ready to be shown yet?

It's an interesting and conceptually challenging story -- and one that's definitely worth seeing if done right. On a more cynical note, it's a followup to both X3: The Last Stand and X-Men: First Class. (And something borne out of The Avengers' massive success.)

I wonder if Ottman will acknowledge Henry Jackman's theme, or if he'll go back to his X2 themes.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The X-Men were made as a way for writers to express their frustration by the Comics Code Authority and the strict rules it imposed on what could and couldn't be discussed. By using "mutants" in place of a number of different oppressed groups, writers were allowed to tackle more weighty issues and instill young audiences with new ideas. This has always been the X-Men story telling by and large, and the fact that the movies follow suit is only appropriate.

• 2 weeks later...

For those who don't get the trailer, it's about a younger, evil and angry Xavier. You thought he had stupid powers? Well, this movie will try to make you see things differently.

Yeah, it's was decent enough, about on par with the first one I thought. I didn't really buy the romance side of it, which was problematic for the movie overall, since everything was focused around it. I wrote a little mini review last week on here.

My angle on the romance is thus:

Neither Logan or Mariko are really attracted to each other as people, but more as idea.

Mariko sees in Wolverine the mythical hero that her grandfather told her about when she was a child, the beast.

For Logan Mariko is in essence a "rebound". After failing to save Jean Grey, Mariko becomes a surrogate for that. A second chance. A young, fairly helpless girl who needs rescuing.

On that level the romance works for me. But I found the relationship between Wolverine and his Manga sidekick more interesting.

I share the thoughts of Rodrigo Perez of Indiewire:

The Wolverine wants to have it both ways: a dark character story and an action-packed superhero film. But it never reconciles the two notes, and thus becomes more and more atonal as it wobbles towards its symphonically jarring ending.

The train action sequence just veered far too close to parody, I thought. It was entertaining for the wrong reasons given the serious tone of the film up to that point.

I did quite enjoy the movie by the end, but it should have been better than it was.

The train action sequence just veered far too close to parody, I thought. It was entertaining for the wrong reasons given the serious tone of the film up to that point.

Like the Skyfall train action sequence not fitting the gritty and realistic tone of that film?