Analysis of 2013 Oscar Nominated Scores

Ludwig

I would like to let everyone know that I have begun a series of blog posts on all the 2013 Oscar nominees for Best Original Score. I've started with Alexandre Desplat for Argo. John Williams's score for Lincoln will of course be featured in one of these posts as well.

Here's the first post:

http://www.filmmusicnotes.com/oscar-nominees-2013-alexandre-desplats-score-for-argo/

Hope you enjoy it!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't around here then, but this makes me wonder....was there controversy around here the year Fellowship of the Ring beat Harry Potter for best score? Potter was a huge deal, return to fantasy for Williams, etc., and a great score on top of all that.

I think, looking back, the result seems right and inevitable, but at the time I think it must have been a pretty tough call.

there was a lot of Williams fans who were split between AI and Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone on this site as to the best Williams score that year.

It certainly helped Shore win, or didn't hurt, with Oscar voters splitting the Williams vote.

• 2 weeks later...

John Williams' multiple nominations and split votes for so many years over the last three decades is the single biggest reason he's only won five Oscars to this point.

- Uni

:rimshot:

A touch simplistic Alan but still quite effective. Not among your absolute best but still a strong 4 star effort. Worth a chuckle.

I see we have a long night ahead of us.

At least we have each other for company.

The best and the brightest without a shred of a doubt.

Great analysis on Lincoln Ludwig! :)

Thanks a bunch! I thought the score is full of subtlety. The more I looked, the more I found - the mark of a great artwork.

- Lincoln Ludwig :P

Just finished an analysis of Skyfall - http://www.filmmusicnotes.com/oscar-nominees-2013-thomas-newmans-score-for-skyfall/

Opinions on this score - at least in this forum - seem pretty divided. Some seem to love it, some hate it, some say it's okay but nothing special. Funny that whenever I take a good listen to a score, I always find a lot more things to like than I thought I would, and my respect for it goes up. I think it must be tough writing a Bond score because you have to have both old and new ideas and not overdo it either way. Very tough.

Great reads thus far. Nice to see some of the themes I could recall in the moment shown in a tangible fashion, especially with Skyfall which is very blurry in its distinction between themes and motifs.

I wasn't around here then, but this makes me wonder....was there controversy around here the year Fellowship of the Ring beat Harry Potter for best score? Potter was a huge deal, return to fantasy for Williams, etc., and a great score on top of all that.

I think, looking back, the result seems right and inevitable, but at the time I think it must have been a pretty tough call.

You should have been here the night Ennio Morricone was awarded his honorary Oscar...

You should have been here the night Ennio Morricone was awarded his honorary Oscar...

Ah...good times.

That's the reason I have 4 stars, actually it's the reason several of us have 4 stars. Some fanboys got upset we would have the audacity to cheer Morricone for this honor.

Haven't seen too much discussion of Dario Marianelli's score for Anna Karenina, but here's my take:

http://www.filmmusicnotes.com/oscar-nominees-2013-dario-marianellis-score-for-anna-karenina/

I think it's strongest points are its long, lyrical melodies. Not only are they great to listen to, he actually combines them together in counterpoint in several places - cool!

Even though it's no surprise that Life of Pi seems poised to win the Oscar, I was able to dig up some interesting evidence to back this up. (It ain't JUST a gut feeling, much as I like gut feelings!).

Have a look:

http://www.filmmusicnotes.com/oscar-prediction-2013-best-original-score/

Interesting that he considers the score in Life of Pi prominent - I'd disagree with that. I actively noticed the music during the whale and storm sequences, but not a lot else. Like Lincoln, it's a film based around its dialogue and a central performance.

Skyfall is the most traditional of the bunch (in spotting style and mix), and I bought the CD based on what I heard.

Not that I'm going to care about the eventual result, but I want to see Newman finally receive an oscar:)