Danny Elfman's Oz The Great And Powerful (Intrada Records OST coming March 5th 2013)

Jay

Damn, thats bloody brilliant! Pulling a reference like that is giving Shore a run for his money. Elfman really thought of everything eh?

It's a well crafted score. Much better than Alice in Wonderland, which in turn had a kick ass opening track, but not as good as The Wolfman. Not a fan of the music box theme as it is something we've heard before, but I really do like the O Canada-like theme very much, especially in the finale track. While you can tell pretty much exactly what it will sound like just from looking at the trailer for the film, there is some really good stuff in here. Elfman seems to be doing everyhing better for other directors than Tim Burton these days and this score is another proof. His fantasy music doesn't excite me anymore, but this one is a solid four stars.

Karol

I can never get through it. It has a phenomenal main theme, which is for me among Elfman's very best. But after that... can't remember anything.

Karol

Well I must disagree. Oz is a good score, but the underscore for Alice in Wonderland is far more engaging and interesting in my opinion. The action music and fantasy music is just better in Alice. The main theme in Alice is fantastic, and the you've got to appreciate the way he integrates the themes. And aside from a few dull cues of dissonance, the album is consistently engaging from top to finish. It's an impressive product, especially given the haphazard production mess near the end.

I've seen you bring up your distaste for Alice before and I can't find myself hearing it unless you're easily bothered by some of the self-referential work (which I'm fine with).

I think I'll listen to the score now :P

• 3 weeks later...

Listening to the whole thing, it is kind of dissapointing, but incredibly entertaining for Elfman fans (which I am).

"Oooooooooh Caaanadaaaa" is damn annoying though.

I can't believe Elfman thought he could get away with it.

Has anyone bought this? Oddly no stores here carry it. I'd have to get it online. Its 19.99 which would be ok, but with tax it comes out to almost 30 dollars. I like the score but 30 dollars is a bit steep.

thats where i looked. that would have been good but the the tax made it out to be 30 dollars. had i been able to buy it in a store it would be about 22 or 23 instead. bummer

• 8 years later...

The Wikipedia soundtrack article on this has a curious track listing at the moment...

On 03/03/2013 at 3:34 AM, KK said:

Damn, thats bloody brilliant! Pulling a reference like that is giving Shore a run for his money. Elfman really thought of everything eh?

The comment before this was deleted and I'm curious what makes the reference so sweet.

That’s…very strange.  

SoundtrackEdit

The original soundtrack to Oz the Great and Powerful was released digitally and physically by Walt Disney Records on March 5, 2013.[52] The physical CD release was in association with Intrada Records.[53]

Oz the Great and Powerful (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
Film score by 
Released March 5, 2013
Recorded 2012
Studio Sony Scoring Stage
Genre Film score
Length 1:21:49
Label Walt Disney

All music is composed by Danny Elfman.

No. Title Length
1. "Main Titles" 2:57
2. "A Serious Talk" 2:23
3. "Oz Revealed" 1:58
4. "A Strange World" 1:48
5. "Where Am I? / Schmooze-a-Witch" 2:05
6. "Fireside Dance" 1:19
7. "Meeting Finley" 1:57
8. "The Emerald Palace" 0:47
9. "Treasure Room / Monkey Business" 2:56
10. "China Town" 3:07
11. "A Con Job" 1:47
12. "Glinda Revealed" 1:43
13. "The Munchkin Welcome Song" 0:41
14. "Bad Witch" 4:32
15. "The Bubble Voyage" 2:48
16. "Great Expectations / The Apple" 4:58
17. "Meeting the Troops" 1:18
18. "What Army" 0:29
19. "Theodora's Entrance / Puppet Waltz" 1:51
20. "A Threat" 2:07
21. "Bedtime / The Preparation Montage" 7:00
22. "Call to Arms" 2:13
23. "Destruction" 2:38
24. "Oz the Great and Powerful" 1:25
25. "Fireworks / Witch Fight" 1:39
26. "Time for Gifts" 5:54
27. "End Credits from Oz" 1:59
28. "Waltz of the Flowers" 6:57
29. "True Love's Kiss" (James Franco & Michelle Williams) 3:29
Total length: 1:21:49

The only other places that have this track listing are other Wikis.  If you search Google for the tracks, they don’t appear to exist outside of these entries.

My first thought was that those two last tracks were artifacts of a cut and paste of the table that they left in there, except Franco and Williams are from this movie so it seems intentional…

I did find this in my search, though.

974878BE-3189-4E94-A83D-026A0BC4EB4C.jpeg

1 hour ago, blondheim said:

The comment before this was deleted and I'm curious what makes the reference so sweet.

Knowing BloodBoal it was probably a joke reaching for a thematic connection between the plot of the movie and Canada's national anthem to justify Elfman almost copying it. Doug Adams-style. It's just a guess, though!

11 minutes ago, Once said:

Knowing BloodBoal it was probably a joke reaching for a thematic connection between the plot of the movie and Canada's national anthem to justify Elfman almost copying it. Doug Adams-style. It's just a guess, though!

I figured it was something like that.