Danny Elfman's Oz The Great And Powerful (Intrada Records OST coming March 5th 2013)

Jay

New announcement posted by Roger Feigelson of Intrada records:

Coming this March from Intrada and Walt Disney Records...

OZ - The Great and Powerful - Music by Danny Elfman
Main Titles
A Serious Talk
Oz Revealed
A Strange World
Where Am I?/Schmooze-A-Witch
Fireside Dance
Meeting Finley
The Emerald Palace
Treasure Room/Monkey Business
China Town
A Con Job
Glinda Revealed
The Munchkin’s Welcome Song
Bad Witch
The Bubble Voyage
Great Expectations/The Apple
Meeting the Troops
What Army?
Theodora’s Entrance/A Puppet Waltz
A Threat
Bedtime/The Preparation Montage
Call to Arms
Destruction
Oz The Great and Powerful
Fireworks/Witch Fight
Time for Gifts
End Credits from Oz
More details soon....
This is Intrada's first Elfman CD (they previously released some Elfman on their Amazing Stories compilations)

The film looks kinda crappy from the trailer, but I'm looking forward to the score. If it's anything like ALICE IN WONDERLAND -- one of my favourite Elfman scores from the past decade -- it's something to look forward to.

Also very interested in this score. Glad Intrada gets to be the one to release it! I hope this is a sign they may be able to reissue/expand Return To Oz this year as well! :D I remember actually e-mailing Roger with a warm-hearted request for this score (it's very dear to me) and he also expressed such interest. So it's not a far-fetched thought! :D

Yeah, I'm wondering if Elfman will hint at any of the themes from Wizard of Oz in his score? Being a prequel of sorts, it would seem a little fitting (although Return To Oz didn't do such a thing at all). But the original is so famous for it's music, and Elfman may not be able to resist the urge since he is a such an admirer of older film scores.

I highly doubt it. The Wizard of Oz score is owned by MGM (so now Sony), while this is a Disney production. Even if that wasn't a case, I dunno if there'd be a reason to do so - the old movie is about Dorothy and is from her POV, and this film has nothing to do with her

I highly doubt it. The Wizard of Oz score is owned by MGM (so now Sony), while this is a Disney production. Even if that wasn't a case, I dunno if there'd be a reason to do so - the old movie is about Dorothy and is from her POV, and this film has nothing to do with her

Warner Brothers owns The Wizard of Oz, and specific legalities prevent some elements from the 1939 film from showing up in Oz: The Great & Powerful. They can't use things like the ruby slippers or model the production design exactly like the film (however there are numerous homages to the original). Everything in the books (as they are public domain) are fair game, but specific elements can't be used without permission and/or licensing.

Return to Oz (another Disney film) used the ruby slippers, but Disney had to pay a licensing fee for that.

Ah, yes! I forgot that Warner Brothers owns Wizard of Oz now, its a similar situation to Psycho being well known as a Paramount-produced film even though Universal owns it now

Wow 27 tracks!!! I can't wait for this score. Elfman's score is the only thing I'm looking forward to about the film, which feels like a sequel to the disappointing Alice in Wonderland (2010) than a prequel to Oz.

That's a rather robust release for a new film! I love Elfman and I love Oz, so this should rather lovely, though I doubt it will surpass the awesomeness of Return to Oz's beautiful score.

Elfman said he scored the movie as if it was an old-fashioned epic. And considering he idolizes Herrmann, wouldn't be surprised to hear nods to scores like Mysterious Island or whatever.

Nor any Desplat; it's outrageous!

I can't say their taste has much overlap with mine, other than some classic Goldsmith here and there.

(And I've been somewhat put off by their business practice too I must admit - such as (very) occasional questionable selection/editing and their variation on the Varèse limited edition game.)

But let's return to Oz!

Elfman said he scored the movie as if it was an old-fashioned epic. And considering he idolizes Herrmann, wouldn't be surprised to hear nods to scores like Mysterious Island or whatever.

He did say that Oz had more Herrmann than Hitchcock did.

• 2 weeks later...

A sample of Mariah Carey's song is online.

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/listen-mariah-carey-song-almost-home-oz-great-and-powerful/

No offense to Mariah, but this song makes my ears bleed. I would've thought Elfman would be involved with arrangements and such, like JNH did with "Breath of Life" and Newman's orchestrator J.A.C. Redford on "Skyfall."

Nope. Just another grating Disney pop song. :sarcasm:

The samples are up on iTunes. It sounds very good, actually. Much better than Alice and cerainly a few levels above anything he released in 2012. The scope is quite grand. The main theme (or at least something that might be a main theme) recalls Charlotte's Web, of all things. It looks like Elfman is back in form.

Karol

Link?

~~~

Track times for the mp3 version are up at Amazon

1. Main Titles 2:57

2. A Serious Talk 2:23
3. Oz Revealed 1:58
4. A Strange World 1:48
5. Where Am I?/Schmooze-A-Witch 2:05
6. Fireside Dance 1:19
7. Meeting Finley 1:57
8. The Emerald Palace 0:47
9. Treasure Room/Monkey Business 2:56
10. China Town 3:07
11. A Con Job 1:47
12. Glinda Revealed 1:43
13. The Munchkin Welcome Song 0:41
14. Bad Witch 4:32
15. The Bubble Voyage 2:48
16. Great Expectations/The Apple 4:58
17. Meeting the Troops 1:18
18. What Army? 0:29
19. Theodora's Entrance/A Puppet Waltz 1:51
20. A Threat 2:07
21. Bedtime/The Preparation Montage 7:00
22. Call to Arms 2:13
23. Destruction 2:38
24. Oz The Great and Powerful 1:25
25. Fireworks/Witch Fight 1:39
26. Time for Gifts 5:54
27. End Credits from Oz 1:59
No announcement yet if the Intrada CD will be longer or not

I was actually asking for a link to the iTunes samples, because I'd love to hear them!

I already knew about Raimi and Elfman making up

I'll blind buy this one. Looking forward to it. I used to be an Elfman completist but these days it seems hit or miss, and reviewing for a website opens up a nice avenue of hearing the misses before plunking any money down.

I watched that "Travel by Bubble" clip on YT, and wow... Elfman's on a roll here. He's always at his best when he's allowed to tell a story musically, as opposed otherwise.

And it's Elfman's most ebullient and ravishing since THE WOLFMAN. Nothing new stylistically (the main theme is classic Tim-Burton-style) but so well done and thematically apt that it's hard to resist.

Two great fantasy scores in two weeks...the good times are coming?