Star Wars stand-alone films confirmed

Once

Meh, time to reign one's initial excitement in folks; Star Wars will soon become the filmic equivalent of Call of Duty.

Non-gamers won't have a clue what I'm referring to with that, which in itself is both sad and funny at the same time.

Isn't the point of Call of Duty now days that even Joe the Ignorant is aware of it and its billion iterations?

= to dilute.

The consequences of which will only be felt years from now; apart from within the more astute fanbase - who will figure out its dreadfullness much sooner than the plebs and possibly even sooner than Disney anticipate.

The COD analogy isn't quite spot on. I figure you meant yearly iterations in the franchise, but the days of Star Wars completely reinventing the cinematic market is over. COD did that, it changed gaming forever. Star Wars isn't going to do that to film again.

The COD analogy isn't quite spot on. I figure you meant yearly iterations in the franchise, but the days of Star Wars completely reinventing the cinematic market is over. COD did that, it changed gaming forever.

Not for the better, I'd say.

The COD analogy isn't quite spot on. I figure you meant yearly iterations in the franchise, but the days of Star Wars completely reinventing the cinematic market is over. COD did that, it changed gaming forever. Star Wars isn't going to do that to film again.

Nah, the CoD phenomenon is just another fad, like Facebook. It won't be around in another twenty years, like Star Wars is. Another difference is that Star Wars arguably changed movies for the better.

If you don't think the Call of Duty franchise and its mentality represents everything wrong with the industry right now then further discussion is pointless.

It's an interesting conversation, one I'm not entirely one-sided about. I tend to lean towards pro-COD though, in that it as a separate entity has been great and continues to show great potential. It's affect on the industry is massive though, and that leads to lots of knock offs. Kinda like Zimmer actually.

Star Trek is beloved here, I just didn't ever get into it. Apparently Doctor Who does quite well, too. To me your avatar is about as romantic as a wheel spin in dog shit.

Star Trek (not to mentioned Star Wars) is going to be popular on any forum populated by geeks. I'm not sure why this one would be any different. :)

It's an interesting conversation, one I'm not entirely one-sided about. I tend to lean towards pro-COD though, in that it as a separate entity has been great and continues to show great potential. It's affect on the industry is massive though, and that leads to lots of knock offs. Kinda like Zimmer actually.

Indeed. Like Zimmer, it also reiterates and repackages itself to appeal to its target audience - who too happen to be mainstream in the broadest sense. Which in turn breeds contempt in those who tire of repetition and hold originality and sophistication in high regard.

But the source is original. I don't want to delve into another Zimmer discussion, but it is the industry that forms around the influential entity. COD4 is still the best FPS I've ever played. It reinvigorated the market like Goldeneye 64 did. It's not Activision's fault it was so successful and copied.

But the source is original. I don't want to delve into another Zimmer discussion, but it is the industry that forms around the influential entity. COD4 is still the best FPS I've ever played.

Really?!

Anyway of course the industry goes where the money is, attempts to mimick the success of others. Mass market entertainment is brimming with shrewds and cynics who will make every effort to exploit their end user. Such behaviour is old as the hills and absolutely natural. It becomes problematic for some though when success and influence - particularly where the arts are concerned - is used as some sort of benchmark for excellence. Transformers is about to get a third sequel soon because it has become a massively successful franchise which the Facebook generation flock to see in their droves, the same as they fill theatres for Pirates of the Caribbean spin-offs. Does that make them excellent examples of the medium which others should aspire to be like? Does it bollocks.

I never said it was a universal scenario. Transformers is a huge money-maker but it doesn't influence other action movies. It's very much Bay's own style of filmmaking. You could say it has some impact as Battleship is more or less a knock-off, but not the extent other game changers have changed their respective markets.

The first two stand-alone Star Wars films will be about young Han Solo, and about Boba Fett:

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/02/06/star-wars-spin-offs-young-han-solo-movie-boba-fett/

These two films should be merged. A Boba Fett movie? Not interested. A young Han Solo movie? Not interested. A young Han Solo AND Boba Fett movie? FUCK YEAH!

Michael Fassbender playing both characters, of course.

Shia LaBeouf as Boba Fett or they might as well not even do it.

I never said it was a universal scenario. Transformers is a huge money-maker but it doesn't influence other action movies. It's very much Bay's own style of filmmaking. You could say it has some impact as Battleship is more or less a knock-off, but not the extent other game changers have changed their respective markets.

That's not being disputed by myself. I'm simply arguing that increasingly derivative works should not be championed as benchmarks for which their contemporaries should strive to be just because they're successful at what they do. Tbh the "it must be great if it's popular" argument is becoming increasingly tedious and just plain offensive.

Boba Fett was already ruined when we saw him as an annoying little kid cloned from a boring guy who gets cloned by these fake CGI aliens that operate a planet of cloning where you can apparently grow your own army. And he worked for that awful alien from The Phantom Menace with the Asian-sounding accent and Godzilla voice dubbing that ended up being in all three prequels. Stupid.

Han Solo was spared...until now.

Boba Fett was already ruined when we saw him as an annoying little kid clone from a boring guy who gets cloned. Stupid.

Not true. Han Solo's emasculation began as far back as Jedi, a trend which continued in the SW Special Edition.

No one is safe.

Boba Fett was already ruined when we saw him as an annoying little kid clone from a boring guy who gets cloned. Stupid.

Not true. Han Solo's emasculation began as far back as Jedi, a trend which continued in the SW Special Edition.

No one is safe.

well, the kiss in the end was silly but the rest was cool, even when he was dry humped by the Ewok

I don't know, I still have trouble imagining the Han from SW and Empire saying stuff like "Hey, it's me!" and "You could tell Luke, is that who you could tell?"

Carbon freezing messed up homey's head.

That's not being disputed by myself. I'm simply arguing that increasingly derivative works should not be championed as benchmarks for which their contemporaries should strive to be just because they're successful at what they do. Tbh the "it must be great if it's popular" argument is becoming increasingly tedious and just plain offensive.

I guess we're misunderstanding each other then because that's not what I'm trying to say either. I'm not a big fan of Episodes IV-VI but I don't deny their relevance in the film industry and popular culture. Also, the term "increasingly derivative" is subjective, of course.

Eh? No it isn't. It's pretty straightforward to objectively appraise something such as a composer's catalogue of work or indeed a succession of video game/movie sequels and pinpoint their clear imitative reprocessing and ancestral pool of traits - which when readily and frequently dipped into manifestly begin to show signs of dilution and, in this case, commercial streamlining.

Nah because I'm concerned with style, execution and recognisable design features here, not individual details such as a character in a movie. Your application of 'derivative' seems to suggest that all reprised roles in movies would derivative of the first movie, which is just daft. The reason being that 'derivative' implies 'lesser', which just isn't necessarily the case.

But in regard to video games, a franchise's mechanics are essentially its characters. Look at Uncharted or BioShock, those games are virtually the same throughout. There is a certain level of expectation with each iteration. Assassin's Creed is an example of one that greatly improved as it went on; so is Infamous.

This really wasn't the point I was initially trying to make, I meant certain recurring plot details. Take Back To The Future, the sequels are incredibly derivative of the original that there's really no point in watching them.

I found the same thing happening with Harry Potter, which is why I bailed out of that series.

Take Back To The Future, the sequels are incredibly derivative of the original that there's really no point in watching them.

Hum, repetition was a big part of the humour there, specially since it was about time travel. The whole thing is brilliantly put together.

I was trying to steer the discussion away from video games actually just because it's not really the place for it and because the original disputed points are becoming buried to the point where I can't even remember what we were originally talking about.

And because making sense with Koray is beginning to do my head in!

I'm hardly the biggest fan of COD, I just think most dismiss it too easily because of its popularity, and those casual gamers that all love it don't really know anything about games... so I'm somewhere in the middle.

Ok, the only thing I can take from this is that they are going to be awesome or suck large hairy moose balls.

I'm all for standalone films, but I think they need to move forward. But I would like to be wrong.

Sent from Tapatalk

I'm hardly the biggest fan of COD, I just think most dismiss it too easily because of its popularity

Some certainly do, but not all.

I look forward to a return to gameplay purity. Call of Duty Modern Warfare was a brilliant, brilliant piece of multiplayer design. Years later it's but a visionary highlight of what has become a bloated behemoth of derivative regurgitation.