37 members have voted

1. 1. The Best John Williams' 1977-1983 'Love' Theme Concert Arrangement

• Princess Leia's Theme
    • Love Theme From Superman
    • Han Solo And The Princess
    • Marion's Theme
    • E.T. And Me
    • Luke And Leia

Between 1977 and 1984, John Williams wrote a handful of great 'love' themes that are somehow melodically and arrangement-wise linked to each other, yet are very different and unique at the same time.

Of these, which is your favorite..?

The piece 'If We Were In Love' from the little-seen movie Yes , Giorgio (1982) is a nice standalone piece.

I agree! I think this I probably my favorite song tat JW wrote, and the orchestral version is great too. If not that, then it'd either be Han Solo and te princess or leias theme. The former is the better theme, but the latter has the better concert piece. Or ET and Me, but I don't really consider it to be in the same realm as the others. It's wry differ t stylistically.

Luke and Leia and Superman love theme are also great, but they lose some points on originality.

Luke and Leia and Superman love theme are also great, but they lose some points on originality.

'Splain Lucy, 'Splain.

Luke and Leia is from the opening vocal part of Leonard Bernstein's "Make Our Garden Grow" from Candide. Superman is from Strauss' Death and Transfiguration. Neither are jarring enough to completely discredit the works--I completely love them both. But they do knock a few points off.

Leia for me. It's not necessarily my favorite theme of the bunch - I have a hard time picking among these - but the concert arrangement specifically kicks some serious ass. I'm not the biggest fan of the woodwind soli interludes, but those are relatively brief, and they do lend some variety to the arrangement. And everything else is just sublime.

Superman.

"E.T. and Me" as a romantic theme? Little creeped out by that one. Just because something's quiet and beautiful (or even epic and beautiful) doesn't qualify it as a "love theme."

- Uni

Superman.

"E.T. and Me" as a romantic theme? Little creeped out by that one. Just because something's quiet and beautiful (or even epic and beautiful) doesn't qualify it as a "love theme."

- Uni

First; I put 'Love' clearly between apostrophes, and secondly; why is it so different from Luke And Leia..? That piece represents the love between a brother and a sister, and the bond they have.

E.T. And Me is the same to me, except this one focusses on the friendship and bonding between a boy and an alien.

Stylistically, the melody of E.T. And Me is a close cousin of Han Solo And The Princess and Marion's Theme. Those three pieces are connected to each other.

Ah. Well explained. I concede the point.

And, as such, would rank "E.T. and Me" second on the list. It's a gorgeous piece of music. I just thought you were ranking romantic themes. My mistake!

- Uni

Superman Love Theme, not even close.

Leia would be second.

E.T. and Me doesn't belong here, it's not a love theme in any romantic sense.

anyway the love theme from Superman is simply John's all time finest achievement hand down for me, it's his greatest ticket punch to heaven.

All are terrific pieces of music, and the 3 I mentioned are among John's greatest ever.

Marion's theme has no votes yet but it's as lovely as they get.

Indy 4 thanks for accusing John of plagarism. I'm sure he would appreciate that.

Luke and Leia.

Everything else is overplayed, which flattens the experience.

then you should stop overplaying them.

Han Solo & the Princess... a fantastic piece that more or less serves as Solo's theme in TESB, acting as a musical anchor during his heroics, attempts at swooning Leia, getting a carbonite chill, and ultimately in epic fashion when he is gone and the other characters' actions are directly about him or because of him. The first time I heard the concert suite was on Charles Gerhardt's wonderful recording...dare I say it was almost better than the OST.

Han Solo & the Princess... a fantastic piece that more or less serves as Solo's theme in TESB, acting as a musical anchor during his heroics, attempts at swooning Leia, getting a carbonite chill, and ultimately in epic fashion when he is gone and the other characters' actions are directly about him or because of him. The first time I heard the concert suite was on Charles Gerhardt's wonderful recording...dare I say it was almost better than the OST.

The concert arrangement was not recorded for the OST.

I think he knows that, Roald. He's saying the concert arrangement is almost "better" than its filmic counterpart, at least as he experienced it that first time on the Gerhardt album.

I think he knows that, Roald. He's saying the concert arrangement is almost "better" than its filmic counterpart, at least as he experienced it that first time on the Gerhardt album.

Yeah...that. I think he arranged the piece just for the Gerhardt recording, methinks. Gerhardt's recording as a whole was a better listen than the OST for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I love the Gerhardt recording of Han Solo and the Princess concert arrangement!

I'm also a huge fan of Marion's Theme and even Willie's theme!

I guess I like my leading ladies in action adventure films, and the way Williams was inspired by them!