John Williams scoring all three new Star Wars films!!

karelm

I almost picture Williams sitting in a chamber, ala Vader during TESB.

Some Disney / Lucasfilm employee enters and Williams, wearing his black turtle neck, rotates to face him.

"I will be scoring this film..."

Yes, humble as always. I particularly liked how he acknowledged missing several opportunities due to scheduling conflicts and just because things didn't work out, and that he would have presumedly liked some of those to have happened.

Like Harry Potter ?

Or Spielberg releasing a film whenever a Star Wars film comes out, preventing Williams to put all his effort into Star Wars. We might have had even Prequel scores with no tracked music if it wasn't for Minority Report and War of the Worlds.

Actually most of Spielberg's 2000's movies have interfered with either a Harry Potter or Star Wars score. Then he stops making films for 5 years until Williams is caught in another scheduling conflict

I'd actually prefer to hear what the prequels might've sounded like had Williams not had to deal with MR and WotW.

Especially since his eagerness to return suggests he enjoyed his work, despite Lucas' tinkering.

Like Harry Potter ?

Or Spielberg releasing a film whenever a Star Wars film comes out, preventing Williams to put all his effort into Star Wars. We might have had even Prequel scores with no tracked music if it wasn't for Minority Report and War of the Worlds.

Actually most of Spielberg's 2000's movies have interfered with either a Harry Potter or Star Wars score. Then he stops making films for 5 years until Williams is caught in another scheduling conflict

Yeah, whats funny, is that alot of these other movies he around those times, marked changes in his style, HP1 and AI saw the birth of the excessive use of Celeste in underscore, and HP3 birthed the ROTS/WOTW style action.

He just said he hasn't heard it but is looking forward to it.

Does anybody know where the interviewer is coming up with the fact that Zimmer was 'frozen for three months', when coming up with the Man of Steel score? I think this is also such an interesting topic, and I'm glad he asked the question too. I'm curious what JW will think of the new superman score.

Like Harry Potter ?

I don't think tracked music in the Prequels has anything to do with Williams' assignments for other projects. It's more likely the result of heavy post-production changes well after the scoring sessions--this happens more frequently than one could imagine, really.

Scheduling conflicts happen all the time, especially to highly requested people like Williams. Who knows how many interesting things he had to turn down because of that---remember also he was Music Director of the Pops for 10+ years, an activity which got him very busy. But, as he says in the interview, he's been very lucky with what he did and the projects he was attached to.

I don't think tracked music in the Prequels has anything to do with Williams' assignments for other projects. It's more likely the result of heavy post-production changes well after the scoring sessions--this happens more frequently than one could imagine, really.

It's both!

Well, in all fairness, this music seems to have more of a theme than Man of Steel.

It's both!

well to be fair Williams did re-record some previous Indy music for KotCS and he only had that movie to score in that year, but I still feel he must have been distracted when writing AotC and RotS . And at least we know we could have gotten a better Chamber of Secrets score..

I wouldn't call Chamber of Secrets a missed opportunity. In the end, he wrote A LOT of new original music and themes. Also, I guess the plan to re-use large portions from the first score was probably a convenient approach to save time and energy (like JW and Columbus did on the second Home Alone, for example).

As for the tracked music in the prequels, there were surely matters of scheduling conflicts at play as well (2002 and 2005 were particularly busy years for JW), but my guess is that it was mostly a plan to save time and energies, because most of those sequences were likely finalized well after he started to compose the score. The luxury of having a locked cut to score is now a thing of the past (unless the composer is called at the very last minute).

! Nothing could possibly go wrong.... right? :ph34r:

I think the only factor now is for Williams to remain healthy

Look at the man; he's fit as a fiddle. And his mind is clearly still a raging fire of intellect and sophistication.

I'm actually really quite looking forward to this collaboration. What John and JJ could do for Star Wars is of only minor interest to me. No, I'm more interested what these two could do for each other.

Lee - who only just saw this JW update today, having not ventured into this sub forum for a while.

As posted on hte main page: "

"We've certainly talked about that, and I'm happy and willing to do it," he confirms. "J.J. Abrams, who will be the director, seems excited about the idea. I have to say that J.J. is a much younger man than I, but I will try to keep up with him as much as I can!"

http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/2013/05/man-of-steel-will-be-hard-for-me-to-see-says-superman-composer-john-williams.html

Was just about to post the same thing! This basically 100% confirms it will happen unless there is some sort of health concern or something between now and late 2014. Wow!

As for another hugely popular franchise he's linked to, Williams -- whose legendary catalog of film scores also ranges from "Jaws" and "Raiders of the Lost Ark" to "Schindler's List" and "Saving Private Ryan" -- is game to give "Star Wars" its musical sound again when "Episode VII" goes into production for a planned 2015 release.
"We've certainly talked about that, and I'm happy and willing to do it," he confirms. "J.J. Abrams, who will be the director, seems excited about the idea. I have to say that J.J. is a much younger man than I, but I will try to keep up with him as much as I can!"
The imminent birth of a new "Star Wars" iteration intrigues Williams in general. "We now have the benefit of all this computer simulation and technical work that wasn't even possible 20 or 25 years ago," he reasons.
"I don't know how hands-on George Lucas will be -- I suspect he will be to some degree -- but I can only imagine how excited he must be, to have a director like J.J. have all these tools at his fingertips to produce something even more adventurous technologically. I can't wait to see what he will do with it."

I can't believe this is happening. Why do you guys think JW has agreed to do this? He's generally not a big sequels person, and he also is generally cautious to work with new directors nowadays. I wonder if he views Star Wars as his magnum opus, and thus something he needs to protect from other composers? Although it's never mentioned when people ask him about his favorite scores.

Star Wars is what created the legend of John Williams, and he is eternally thankful for that more than anyone. We shouldn't really be surprised that he is evidently very protective of his role in the series.

He's generally not a big sequels person, and he also is generally cautious to work with new directors nowadays.

Why not? He did pretty much all sequels where the director remained the same.

In fact, for Jaws 2 and Harry Potter 3 he even stayed on when the director did change. And lent some support for Superman 4 too.

Is there ANY film series where Williams did NOT contribute to at least two films?

I remember him saying how he liked several parts of the Shadows of the Empire score and disliked others, and he wished he was more involved, or something. He clearly cares about his musical legacy for the saga

He's generally not a big sequels person, and he also is generally cautious to work with new directors nowadays.

Why not? He did pretty much all sequels where the director remained the same.

In fact, for Jaws 2 and Harry Potter 3 he even stayed on when the director did change. And lent some support for Superman 4 too.

Is there ANY film series where Williams did NOT contribute to at least two films?

He's said in several interviews that given the option of scoring a brand new film or a sequel, he would chose the former. That's presumably one of the reasons why he chose to nix GoF in 2005, and only half score CoS in 2002. As he becomes increasingly selective with his film music projects, I wouldn't expect him to spend his final years adding to a franchise he's already scored 6 times.

This isn't a complaint, mind you, I just didn't expect this. :)

Does anybody know where the interviewer is coming up with the fact that Zimmer was 'frozen for three months', when coming up with the Man of Steel score? I think this is also such an interesting topic, and I'm glad he asked the question too. I'm curious what JW will think of the new superman score.

I don't think Williams will either see Man of Steel nor hear the music to it.

I don't think Williams will either see Man of Steel nor hear the music to it.

Oh really? Read this!

http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/2013/05/man-of-steel-will-be-hard-for-me-to-see-says-superman-composer-john-williams.html

Yeah, great little interview. So interesting to hear JW speak sometimes. While reading the article, my first thought, was what is JW going to say about hearing the score in the new film, what are his thoughts on the Zimmer score, etc. ....then JW pulls the Christopher Reeves card, and I was reminded JW is not just a gifted music, but a profound human with his priorities and humility in check. Like a wise old grandpa we all wish we had, that somehow knows everything about everything,....who happens to also be a world class composer. :)

then JW pulls the Christopher Reeve card, and I was reminded JW is not just a gifted music, but a profound human with his priorities and humility in check.

True. I was also reminded of this news story from 7 years ago, an how some people didn't believe it was true... ;)

his friendships with the Lucas and others is a factor, as I am sure is his protectiveness of his musical contributions. I think, however, the main reason he is doing this is because he enjoys the kind of music he can write for these films. He clearly enjoys performing them, even after 35 years in the case of the first. you get the sense that writing for the franchise simply is a fun thing for him to do, even if other projects might be more artistically engaging.

Hi folks

There must be a hugely compelling interest , for JW, in knowing that his music for these particular films will span two generations of movie audiences.

I guess we never thought we'd get to enjoy a seventh JW Star Wars score. It's a 'movie-miracle'. Let's enjoy the wait and anticipation :)

JC

Isn't it THREE generations ;)

That's pretty damn impressive, and special.

He might even usher in a new style of film music...

Indeed it is impressive and nevr seen before I think, but the latter isn't necessary IMO. Then, JW always finds ways to make a score sound unique.

I'm trying to picture Williams sitting in his big comfy leather chair, putting on a CD of MOS, sitting back with a glass of brandy and cigar and attempting to listen to it.

I'm trying to picture Williams sitting in his big comfy leather chair, putting on a CD of MOS, sitting back with a glass of brandy and cigar and attempting to listen to it.

And then the glass of brandy and the cigar suddenly ending up becoming one. :sarcasm:

Three generations, indeed :) Even more incredible.

I am remembering, as I sit here typing this, being eleven years old and buying the original audiocassette (!) release of the Return of the Jedi soundtrack in the summer of 1983 and listening to it thereafter...endlessly... all summer long.

A sweet memory.

JC

Yeah, great little interview. So interesting to hear JW speak sometimes. While reading the article, my first thought, was what is JW going to say about hearing the score in the new film, what are his thoughts on the Zimmer score, etc. ....then JW pulls the Christopher Reeves card, and I was reminded JW is not just a gifted music, but a profound human with his priorities and humility in check. Like a wise old grandpa we all wish we had, that somehow knows everything about everything,....who happens to also be a world class composer. :)

Reeve made Williams believe a man could fly.

While I think I would have been a little more excited with Giacchino coming into the Star Wars universe, at the end of the day, whichever scenario played out (or perhaps even to this point depending on which will play out), it was/is a win-win for us.

I can't imagine how excited JJ must be to work with John. And I'm sure Michael will be sitting in the recording booth every day of the recording sessions like a giddy child. I know I would.

It's not everyday you get a chance to work with the people that inspired you to get into that work to begin with.

Right on.

Kudos to Gia! Who bravely stepped aside to make room for the still reigning king and creator JW.

I bet it was no simple decision for Mr. Giacchino to step back. Rather a battle of the trees in his

mind, a conflict of epic scope including the fulfillment of a childhood dream, his own ego, and a Jedi

Master still alive. He acted wisely.

So Blumenkohl, are you still maintaining this line of thought and opinion?

I do want to express my direct reaction to Williams' comments, unpopular as it might be:

It completely rubs me the wrong way.

The entire focus of the new Star Wars trilogy is to transition the franchise into the hands of a new generation. Even George "IT'S MINE, ALL MINE, I CAN DO WITH IT WHAT I CHOOSE" Lucas has stepped back and is handing it off to relatively younger people.

And here is John going "OH I CAN'T WAIT TO WORK ON IT!"

It just doesn't strike me as particularly classy, on several levels. Chiefly, he's not elegantly handing off a torch to future generations, he's not saying "I've done my bit for king and country, I'll let rising talent take a shot at it." He's basically muscling his way into screwing over anyone that may or may not be selected to score the film after him. Because now we know the old lovely man wanted to score it, and some youngin stole it from him.

Second the assumption that he will be involved comes off as arrogant. Yes, you are Star Wars John, but being a little modest about it would be so much more likable. Feign it, say "I'd love to work on it if I am invited to do so, but I'm also interested in hearing what fresh talent could do with Star Wars."

All in all It's a bit cringe worthy. It's like that stalker ex that just doesn't know when to quit. Everyone else is looking forward to the fresh direction, and he's still like "I'm gonna score it!"

You greedy son of a gun Johnny. I can see how you cleverly manipulated your way into screwing over Patrick Doyle with the whole Stepmom fiasco.

I still maintain he could have been more open-ended in his response and more gracious about the possibility of transitioning the series into the hands of a new generation.

He wasn't.

In all this Michael Giacchino came out with my highest respects. He has been exemplary in his graciousness since JJ was announced as director.

Most fans were awaiting Williams' return. He was trying to please his fans by saying that he was interested. That was all, and he did it in his usual classy eloquence.

You're just blowing this up into something it clearly wasn't ;)