John Williams scoring all three new Star Wars films!!

karelm

Decent is insulting to Davis, it was damn good stuff.

Some of it certainly was. I take points off for the occasional mutilation of existing themes, and sometimes the action music gets too shrill and frenetic for its own good. But there are other minor themes that got developed really quite nicely, and on the whole, the score does fit within the excellent musical universe of Jurassic Park. One gets the feeling that Davis was making a conscious effort to blend Williams' style with his own, and don't get me wrong - I think he succeeded in a lot of ways.

There must be a great collaboration of minds to continue the great writing of Williams and do that era of movie music justice, otherwise we will end up with Star Wars movies with the same dumbed down junk with the likes of Hans Zimmer in recent years with synthesizer "background music".

Yeah, sure, if we don't have a collaboration behind the score, we'll end up with RCP music...

I fail to understand your logic.

Dont get me wrong, Williams interest in returning is the most joyful news Ive heard all year. But if God forbid, he wasnt able to finish the trilogy, Desplat would be my hands down number one successor.

Me too. Rise of the Guardians proved he could have written a great Harry Potter score if the director let him

Desplat did a good job on the last Potter 7.2 but a horrible one for 7.1... The biggest critizism for me is no Window to the Past theme. It should have appeared when Harry looked at his parents home.

Me too. Rise of the Guardians proved he could have written a great Harry Potter score if the director let him

But RotG is one of the least Desplat-sounding scores of his career, likely a product of temp track and director's wishes. I don't think its the best score to base the possibilities of Desplat with free reigns.

Put your belt on! Your trousers are falling!

If Williams is willing and able to score this film then I am very happy. As I said before any new Williams score is a blessing. And who knows what kind of inspiration this new film might spark in the Maestro.

Who will score the inevitable sequels is at this moment my least concern.

But RotG is one of the least Desplat-sounding scores of his career, likely a product of temp track and director's wishes.

No, it's actually the opposite.

Put your belt on! Your trousers are falling!

If Williams is willing and able to score this film then I am very happy. As I said before any new Williams score is a blessing. And who knows what kind of inspiration this new film might spark in the Maestro.

Yes.

If Williams scores this, the the impression that JW is the kind of person that'd be there until his last breath putting out music is then again confirmed.

This....

Although, just for the sake of speculation, Desplat is definitely not the guy for me. His music lacks both depth and density to even be considered for Star Wars. Doesn't anyone think anything of Trevor Jones anymore? Or if you want younger, what about John Powell?

John Williams re-confirmed he is scoring Star Wars 7 at Symphony Hall on Saturday night. I unfortunately cannot give an exact transcription, but it was something along the lines of "When we made the first Star Wars film George didn't tell us there would be others, and since then, there have been 5 more... and now we hear there is going to be another one, so I have to make sure I eat my Wheaties to be ready to do it"

Again - not an exact transcription, just going off my memory

So he has been basically confirming this several nights in a row. I would called it confirmed then.

Good. I never liked the SL story, always sounded like backhanded insult. Spielberg is basically saying "I am a better at directing than you are at composing, even if you are the best living composer."

Good. I never liked the SL story, always sounded like backhanded insult. Spielberg is basically saying "I am a better at directing than you are at composing, even if you are the best living composer."

Yep. That's what Spielberg meant with that particular remark. :/

So, Williams is definitely the man for Episode VII?

Well, that's good I suppose. Even though deep inside I still wish he would concentrate the last breaths of his talent on other things than more Star Wars sequels.

Like that Spielberg PTSD movie?

If he scores the next Star Wars, we'll have another decade of picking through game files for unreleased music

I'm not saying that's what was intended, but that's what he's saying.

I'm not saying that's what was intended, but that's what he's saying.

I think you're really stretching it. In every version of the anecdote, Williams is the one who expresses hesitation in not being up to the task and suggests trying somebody else. What was Spielberg supposed to say to that? The "I know, but they're all dead" line was just a funny way of saying "Yeah, right! Where the hell am I supposed to find a better composer than you?", the insinuation obviously being that -- at the very least -- Spielberg ranks Williams next in line after Bach, Mozart, and other long-gone titans. It's not back-handed or egotistical at all, it seems to me you're reading too much into the "I know" part of Spielberg's line.

I wasn't being too serious, I don't actually care what anecdotes JW decides to bring up. I just think the SL one is an odd one (and not really that funny either)...I'm sure he has better ones.

Regardless of the delivery or interpretation, Spielberg is very much aware that his career is indebted immeasurably to JW's contribution. I wonder what alternate reality Spielberg films would be like without JW.... Jaws scored by Lalo Schifrin, Close Encounters by Goldsmith? Who knows...

Eat your Wheaties, Johnny! Can't wait to for 2015!

Mr. K

I'm a little on the slow side in catching up with all of these threads but I am going to assume someone from the Boston concerts already posted his Star Wars 7 is coming up and therefore I will be watching my diet quote?

I am guessing based off of this its still not official but still more than likely. I wonder why it is not made official yet?

I think it's only not "official" because no contracts have been signed yet, and probably won't be until some time in 2014 after production has started.

But yea, I posted a little ways up on this page about how he said he'd be "eating his Wheaties" to prepare for the assignment :)

I think it's only not "official" because no contracts have been signed yet, and probably won't be until some time in 2014 after production has started.

But yea, I posted a little ways up on this page about how he said he'd be "eating his Wheaties" to prepare for the assignment :)

Yes the production is in such early stage there have not been many official statements on the film or the film makers yet. But Williams' comments in the last couple of months indicate that he will be scoring the movie. I think it was never a question of could but rather would he score this film.

Well thats good to hear at least. I really wonder how his health will be over the next few years. In my opinion Williams has proven that as long as he can still move his hand he will be writing the scores for all 3 Star Wars movies.

Why does that conjure macabre images of Amadeus in my mind. ;)