John Williams scoring all three new Star Wars films!!

karelm

The StarWars.com article does only mention Episode 7, yes. But at the actual Celebration VI event, Kathleen Kennedy said that Williams was committed to all three films:

"I had breakfast with someone very important to the Star Wars family on Friday," she teased, "and he has committed to being involved in the next three films, and that is Mr John Williams."

The news of Williams' involvement, although seemingly a foregone conclusion, is huge. With JJ Abrams on board as director, the smart money had perhaps been on his long-time composer Michael Giacchino coming aboard (despite Giacchino himself demurring and emphasising that the saga is very much Williams' baby). But Williams' themes are so indelible to the saga, whether it's Duel Of The Fates, The Imperial March or Yoda's Theme, so it's a joy to see that the legendary composer will be returning to Star Wars.

"I look forward to returning to a galaxy far, far away," said Williams in a video played at Celebration Europe. "I actually feel like I never left it. I hope I can contribute something in the new films that will be worthy of your continued attention."

After the video played, Kennedy explained, simply, why Williams' involvement with the new movies was a must. "Every time I hear John’s music, it just gives me the chills. It’s so important to the saga. We’re all really excited that he’s a part of this."

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=38272

Wow, to actually start worrying you may die before all JW scores are released in expanded form

what a pathetic waste of life.

Well remember the source and where you're at right now.

Besides I'd be more worried about Williams making it to see all 3 films scored. ;)

I am worried that John may not live to fill that promise.

I can hear John Williams in my head speaking to KingMark,

"Mark, I do appriciate your love for my works, but in the immortal word's of William Shatner, GET A LIFE?"

I haven't watched Lincoln yet but can you please tell me if the Disney Logo was shown in the beginning of Lincoln?

The Touchstone Pictures logo (alternate label for Disney's mature-skewing films) shows up after the DreamWorks logo. Disney's signature Blue Castle logo isn't used for DreamWorks releases at all.

Episode VII is an entirely different matter, though.

Better find something to do for the next 21 months.... ;)

There's plenty of casual insult material backed up to last for another year here, but after that? We'll be living off rice and Zimmer jokes. Oh hang on we already are.

We're all gonna die.

The StarWars.com article does only mention Episode 7, yes. But at the actual Celebration VI event, Kathleen Kennedy said that Williams was committed to all three films:

"I had breakfast with someone very important to the Star Wars family on Friday," she teased, "and he has committed to being involved in the next three films, and that is Mr John Williams."

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=38272

The nature of his involvement is never detailed by Kennedy, though. Perhaps he has offered only to serve as Ben Burtt's doormat.

...oh, wait.

All John williams needs to do is figuire out all the themes that needs to be created. Lucas and JJ if they are smart and looking forward on their investment, will need to give john williams an idea of whats going on within the three films and what needs to be created. I'm sure it won't take williams a week or two. The rest is orchestrations.

Even if maestro williams doesn't make it to the secound and third film, it doesn't matter, he just needs a trust worthy orchestrators to apply the thematic material in accordance to the director's wish (don davis? Giacchino? pope?powell?)

Starwars is already musically mature with so many brilliant themes. which means that that they can use the first six film's(+IIV) work and mold it to the newer films if it comes down to that. I'm just happy that it's williams who's developing the thematic work. Its making me look forward to the new film even if its full of jar jar binks...

All John williams needs to do is figuire out all the themes that needs to be created. Lucas and JJ if they are smart and looking forward on their investment, will need to give john williams an idea of whats going on within the three films and what needs to be created. I'm sure it won't take williams a week or two. The rest is orchestrations.

Williams's SW scores are much more than just a bunch of nice tunes and some orchestration. That's the biggest mistake he made with his awful Skywalker Symphony.

Williams's SW scores are much more than just a bunch of nice tunes and some orchestration.

Indeed.

That's the biggest mistake he made with his awful Skywalker Symphony.

Huh? I now many consider the Skywalker Symphony recording a poor one (I don't), but your reasoning would condemn all the SW suites and all their recordings?(And besides, the suites are also more than just orchestrated themes)

Williams's SW scores are much more than just a bunch of nice tunes and some orchestration.

Well, of course. A composer can be given the same themes and write a score that sounds nothing like Williams. So it's a combination of material and technique.

But there is something to be said for the themes themselves as contributing to the quality of a score. Surely that's part of the reason why Empire is one of the all-time greatest. Vader's theme, Yoda's theme, Han Solo and the Princess - all are iconic themes in themselves. (Another big part would be the unmatched action writing of cues like "The Asteroid Field" and "Battle in the Snow".)

But there is something to be said for the themes themselves as contributing to the quality of a score. Surely that's part of the reason why Empire is one of the all-time greatest. Vader's theme, Yoda's theme, Han Solo and the Princess - all are iconic themes in themselves. (Another big part would be the unmatched action writing of cues like "The Asteroid Field" and "Battle in the Snow".)

Of course, but what personally draws me to these scores is the development of these themes, their withholding, how they shape the underscore and branch off into subthemes. I rarely listen to the concert suites (The Imperial March, Princess Leia's Theme etc.) for that reason.

At the very least it gave us the best available versions of Here They Come and The Throne Room.

Granted, but that's only because they follow the original cues (ablate abridged and transplanted). I just wish Williams came up with something more like Shore's Lord of the Rings Symphony, which contains no theme-derived concert suites, keeps entire setpieces, doesn't try to be Classic FM-friendly by throwing out all the dissonant or challenging bits, and makes no compromises to the orchestration. Sometimes I think Williams is his own worst enemy.

Three of my favourite moments from ESB:

- Aboard the Executor

- The moment in Battle of Hoth when Vader appears in the Rebel base

- Attacking a Star Destroyer

The first two are so brilliant not just because they use the Imperial March, but because of the way they use it. The only theme in the third one, or at least the part of it which I'm referring to, is the Boba Fett motif.

• 2 weeks later...

From the BSO Facebook page:

539646_10151598411043269_1648217123_n.jp

J.J. Abrams stopped by Tanglewood on Parade on Tuesday as a special guest of Boston Pops Laureate Conductor John Williams! (Pictured here with BSO Managing Director Mark Volpe). It was recently announced that John Williams will return to score the music for Star Wars Episode VII, which J.J. Abrams is directing.

JJ looks like the Witch from Snow White in that picture. John looks much younger than he actually is.

• 4 weeks later...

That is rather unlikely.

Usually JW only starts writing after he has seen a cut of the film.

In some cases he has composed a few things during the actual shoot (the 5 note theme from Close Encounters) for example. Or parts of JFK.

But never THIS early in production.

It is hilarious to be that anybody believe that tweet for more than half a second, let alone and entire website (superhereomovienews I mean) and members of this forum! LOL!