John Ottman - Jack The Giant Slayer (WaterTower Records OST Feb 26 2013)

Jonesy

Jack the Giant Slayer

jack-the-giant-slayer1.jpg

Release Date: February 26, 2013

1. Jack and Isabelle (Theme from Jack the Giant Slayer) (3:56)
2. Logo Mania (1:00)
3. To Cloister (1:28)
4. The Climb (2:41)
5. Fee Appears (3:16)
6. How Do You Do (2:23)
7. Why Do People Scream? (3:17)
8. Story of the Giants (3:22)
9. Welcome to Gantua (4:12)
10. Power of the Crown (1:21)
11. Not Wildly Keen on Heights (2:19)
12. Top of the World (2:30)
13. The Legends Are True / First Kiss (3:43)
14. Rodericks Demise / The Beanstalk Falls (5:36)
15. Kitchen Nightmare (3:24)
16. Onward and Downward! (3:19)
17. Waking a Sleeping Giant (2:21)
18. Chase to Cloister (5:19)
19. Goodbyes (2:29)
20. The Battle (5:31)
21. Sniffing Out Fear / All is Lost (5:07)
22. The New King / Stories (4:17)

Total Time: 1:12:51

And samples.

According to Filmmusicreporter, it will be released digitallly.

The samples sounded rather promising. I am now intrigued although the film itself has been off my radar until now.

movie looks like another Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters

Hansel & Gretel actually turned a profit at the box office. This movie... it could flop big time or be a pleasant surprise.

Samples sound great.

• 2 weeks later...

Since Intrada has successfully broken through to the folks at WB and WaterTower (The Wind and the Lion and In Country), you'd figure they'd ink a deal with Intrada like Disney did with The Avengers and Oz: The Great & Powerful.

If that Jack the Giant Slayer score is as good as its samples, then it deserves a pressed CD release. I don't bother with CD-Rs.

Saw the movie, and boy does the score deliver. Christian Clemmenson's review of the score is far too long-winded, but he nails it when the score feels like Ottman paying tribute to Williams, Goldsmith, Horner, Elfman and even a little bit of Zimmer. But Ottman doesn't succumb to temp-track syndrome, he manages to maintain his own voice and style but managing to emulate the old-fashioned adventure sound.

I have to say, very impressed. I didn't think Ottman had it in him to write something as massive, complex and fun as this. Certainly puts his efforts like X2 and Superman Returns in the dust.

Just saw this movie today (fun popcorn movie for an afternoon), and have since been trying to put the score into the chronological order of the film; might make for a somewhat better listening experience. Anyone have suggestions?

My order so far:

1. Logo Mania (1:00)

2. Story of the Giants (3:22)
3. To Cloister (1:28)

4. How Do You Do (2:23)

5. Not Wildly Keen on Heights (2:19)
6. The Climb (2:41)

7. Top of the World (2:30)

8. Welcome to Gantua (4:12)
9. Fee Appears (3:16)
10. Why Do People Scream? (3:17)
11. Power of the Crown (1:21)

12. Kitchen Nightmare (3:24)

13. Waking a Sleeping Giant (2:21)
14. The Legends Are True / First Kiss (3:43)
15. Rodericks Demise / The Beanstalk Falls (5:36)

16. Goodbyes (2:29)

17. Onward and Downward! (3:19)
18. Chase to Cloister (5:19)
19. The Battle (5:31)
20. Sniffing Out Fear / All is Lost (5:07)
21. The New King / Stories (4:17)
22. Jack and Isabelle (Theme from Jack the Giant Slayer) (3:56)

Not to go off topic, but does anyone have experience with Amazon's CD-R. Wanted to get this score in physical form, but I've never bought one of Amazon's CD-R (the source is lossless, right?).

Was the movie any good? I wasn't impressed with the trailers.

It's a diverting film. I enjoyed it more than last year's March flop John Carter, both score and film.

Everytime I listen to one of his scores I feel I've heard it all before and the music leaves me empty.

Given the opening weekend box office results I expect this film should be out on DVD soon so I'll wait and rent it then.

John Carter's score is much better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bXi4C8vWfY

It's quite catchy. Simple, but catchy.

Karol

It's not an amazing theme, but the score is great (more words in my upcoming review). Funny though, some of the statements remind me of the Fellowship theme.

Listened to the entire youtube track, wasn't impressed. It's the big classic orchestra sound we want but... .somehow hollow / soulless? I dunno. John Carter catches your attention 5 seconds into the first cue

Listened to the entire youtube track, wasn't impressed. It's the big classic orchestra sound we want but... .somehow hollow / soulless? I dunno. John Carter catches your attention 5 seconds into the first cue

It's on par. At least Ottman manages some good counterpoints here and there - or better, the army of orchestrators which doubtlessly were enlisted for this venture. Neither Giacchino nor Ottman can write action music that is focused and has depth (at least not on these scores) - which becomes pretty much a problem if you have to score a wall of action scenes.

5 seconds into John Carter I thought I was listening to Super 8. Ottman's score was more enjoyable for me on the first listen.

Both have their sweeping moments i enjoy. But take some of the numerous action/suspense tracks from the middle and you still end up with ACME product.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bXi4C8vWfY

It's quite catchy. Simple, but catchy.

Karol

Yep, already listened to this. There's a theme in there somewhere trying to stick together, but it's taking several listens to get it. Not a good sign.

5 seconds into John Carter I thought I was listening to Super 8. Ottman's score was more enjoyable for me on the first listen.

Jack the Giant Slayer lacks cohesion, strong themes, and also falters a bit in the mid-portions of the score. But most of it, through its various musical colours and styles (especially in its highlights) are executed so well that it makes a more entertaining and diverse listening experience than John Carter.

The album could use a trimming though.

Was the movie any good? I wasn't impressed with the trailers.

It's a diverting film. I enjoyed it more than last year's March flop John Carter, both score and film.

I figured it was that type of movie. I want to see it but it's not something I'd rush to the theater to watch. More like a rental.

You ought to listen to the whole score. Ottman may not be the most organized composer when it comes to arranging his themes and distributing them throughout the score, but I thought the themes were good. The score won me over by the colorful orchestration and the impressive complexity of the writing. John Carter has its moments, like the end credits cue and "Sab Than Pursues the Princess" but I end up hitting the skip button more often than not.

And londzoe, I think the movie is worth seeing in theaters. That is, if you can find a cheap matinee. Unless you have a free full-price ticket, I wouldn't recommend paying more than $6 to see it.

It's on par. At least Ottman manages some good counterpoints here and there - or better, the army of orchestrators which doubtlessly were enlisted for this venture. Neither Giacchino nor Ottman can write action music that is focused and has depth (at least not on these scores) - which becomes pretty much a problem if you have to score a wall of action scenes.

Yes, action music is their weakness and the least interesting part of their scores. Mostly quite flat.Jack benefits from better recording, definitely. And less workman-like performance. But still I like John Carter more than this.

Speaking of Giacchino, is it just me or did Ottman temp tracked a second part of this track with Labor of Love from Star Trek?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL2aGz_PQ7k

Karol

I also noticed that track sounded like "Labor of Love". I found it odd.

i noticed it immediately in the theater

I found the movie very entertaining by the way. It's not like the Narnia series kiddie fare . It was cut to be PG(no blood) , but the violence is there and plenty of people die onscreen, so it's kind on unpredictable as far as the story goes and you never feel like any of the characters are "safe". The action sequences had more sense of danger than everything in the Hobbit

Score was good enough so I'll listen outside to the film