La La Land re-releases THE FURY!

Oskar

42 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

So now the amazing music Williams wrote for this film in 1978 will forever on these streaming sites include this dumb HBO show because they needle-dropped the music?  Lame.

Theme from "2001".

I guess they added the "From HBO's Euphoria" for SEO reasons. Fans of the show trying to find this cue won't Google "John Williams The Fury", they'd rather write something like "What is the name of the song from the Euphoria season finale?".

55 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I guess they added the "From HBO's Euphoria" for SEO reasons. Fans of the show trying to find this cue won't Google "John Williams The Fury", they'd rather write something like "What is the name of the song from the Euphoria season finale?".

This is absolutely right from an SEO perspective! You know, if this gets someone to fall in love with Williams then bring it on. Besides we can name the tracks whatever we want in our own libraries.

• 5 months later...
1 minute ago, A. A. Ron said:

You literally quoted him calling it "a great album" and then asked how it is. Great. The answer is great.

I know the album is great, just wanted to make sure this release is good

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Thanks again

"album" in the context I used it meant the entire release as a whole, I wasn't talking about just his 1978 album program specifically

The release as a whole is a comprehensive and great-sounding release of the music JW recorded for the film as well as the album re-recording he did later all in one great looking package with good notes and Titus art direction

It is great and you should jump on it. Although the seller has 12+ copies, makes me wonder if a reissue is imminent. 

But this is a prime slice of Williams goodness.  Since you’re already a fan of the OST, the film recording has a lot of nice Williamisms of the time.  Bits of action music here and there and such.  Definitely worth having both recordings. 

On 07/08/2022 at 2:42 PM, Jay said:

as well as the album re-recording he did later

I heard something similar about Dracula. What does it mean exactly, he went back later and recorded tracks with the LSO? I was under the impression that the whole score was done by them

The Fury's score was recorded in LA. 

For the soundtrack album, they made a new recording of highlights from it with the LSO. 

...so once again they just crapped it on streaming and a few locked/bad platforms leaving me no good way to actually buy it? Fuck these studios.

At the time, a re-recording was pretty common, and it was used for three main reasons :

1) Pass Go and Collect $200 (for the productor/composer and the instrumentists... movie score sessions were not really paying off back then)

2) Allow the composer to record suites he has written to offer a better portait of his score... than the score itself.

3) Pass Go and Collect $200 (Oh, I already said it?) ROTFLMAO

All JW's re-recorded scores are well documented in my disco (search "re-recording") : http://www.goplanete.com/johnwilliams/music/disco/albums.htm

No, they were paid in £ sterling.

To add to what Bes has already stated: there are two more reasons why OSTs were often rerecorded.

1/ it was the chance to offer the listing audience improved sound. Imho, both DAMIEN: OMEN II, and CAPRICORN ONE are, both, vastly superior, sonically, to the OSTs, and both are rerecordings.

2/ repeat fees. For an OST to be released, orchestras often demanded up to 100% of the original recording fee. Thus, it was cheaper to rerecord an OST.

Mostly, it came from a time when releasing the full score was is wasn't a thing and (I believe) releasing just bits of it as is and leaving other bits off was also considered an odd idea. And also, medium limitations (like about 20 minutes max. per LP side) had to be taken into account. Rather than microediting parts of a score into a cohesive album experience (which was I imagine much more complex in the earlier analogue days), those few scores that were released were released in album arrangements. The idea of a film music album as a best seller was, I think, born around the time of Laura, when producers realised that they could turn film themes into hit songs. So film music albums were those hit song arrangements, and perhaps some others, and perhaps a few highlights of the original score. Mancini albums (and Williams's original disaster score album versions) are a good example of that. So the idea of the recorded film score being a different entity from a potential album was probably already established when it become more common for actual *scores* to be released as well, and they naturally went ahead with compiling and arranging suites from the full score and recording it for the album.

Or at least that's how I imagine it based on my fragmentary knowledge of the history of film scoring and film music releases. Actual insiders might point out that I've got it entirely wrong.

10 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Imho, both DAMIEN: OMEN II, and CAPRICORN ONE are, both, vastly superior, sonically, to the OSTs, and both are rerecordings.

Better performed, too. Probably because they didn't have to bother with the technicalities of recording to picture and having the music sync with it. And the same goes for The Fury.

I wish JW had access to the LSO for a re-recording of Star Wars... it would have been SUBLIME!

22 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

repeat fees.

Pass Go and Collect $200! Nobody knows Monopoly here?

pass-go-collect-200-dollars-vintage-monopoly-board-game-theme-card-design-turnpike.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 07/08/2022 at 2:17 PM, Gibster said:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184638233110
saw this at a great price. Is this one worth getting? I love the Itunes OST

So has anyone been able to verify this as a legit listing? I most likely don't have any real reason to question it, but that many copies available is a bit strange to me for an OOP title.

Doesn't seem strange to me that someone would buy a bunch of specialty label film music titles, hold onto them until they go OOP, then try to sell them on ebay

Why this dude is selling it for less than the retail price, I couldn't tell you

20 minutes ago, Jay said:

Doesn't seem strange to me that someone would buy a bunch of specialty label film music titles, hold onto them until they go OOP, then try to sell them on ebay

Why this dude is selling it for less than the retail price, I couldn't tell you

I got it from him for 17$, the case was broken but totally worth it

Funny, because a different listing also sold the release for cheap, but was fully transparent about it being in broken cases. I guess in this instance, the lightweight shipping is more to blame for the damage.

In any case, I have been offered the $19 price, so......

• 2 weeks later...

So... LLL only has a pretty crappy quality cover on their site and even on Titus' behance there's only a kinda small image of the jewel case. Is there a normal quality LLL cover anywhere?

23 minutes ago, Holko said:

So... LLL only has a pretty crappy quality cover on their site and even on Titus' behance there's only a kinda small image of the jewel case. Is there a normal quality LLL cover anywhere?

Twitter is your answer.  To find it, type this into google:

"fury site:twitter.com/lalalandrecords"

And you'll find 2 times they tweeted out the high-res cover art:

https://twitter.com/LaLaLandRecords/status/972622705630441472

https://twitter.com/LaLaLandRecords/status/973335387560030208

1 hour ago, Jay said:

There's something about the original art from the label that I like more than a scan of the same art printed on paper

Sure, but the website usually has a mix of both. The only time a soundtrack CD is a scan is if the original art is of lower resolution.

Album Art Exchange has lots of different covers submitted by users, from all different sources. Sometimes people do a good job cleaning up artwork from the pre-digital era, you could almost call it a "fan edit". Somehow there's stuff on there that doesn't come up in a high-res Google image search. It's a great resource, but unfortunately the owners often block large regions or countries at a time from accessing it. I haven't been able to load the site for months now.