LIMITED EDITION OF 3500 UNITS

RETAIL PRICE: $29.98

FILM SCORE REISSUE PRODUCED BY NICK REDMAN AND MIKE MATESSINO

SOUNDTRACK ALBUM REISSUE PRODUCED SOR SONY MUSIC BY DIDIER C. DEUTSCH

FILM SCORE REISSUE MASTERED BY DAN HERSCH AT D2 MASTERING

SOUNDTRACK ALBUM MASTERED BY TIM STURGES AT BATTERY STUDIOS

LINER NOTES BY JULIE KIRGO

ART DIRECTION BY JIM TITUS

La-La Land Records, 20th Century Fox and Sony Music are proud to present one of John Williams finest scores ever – 1979’s THE FURY, directed by Brian DePalma and starring Kirk Douglas and Amy Irving. With a running time of 1:54:00, this new and improved 2 disc set features stunning sound (especially on Disc 2, the original soundtrack album), detailed liner notes by Julie Kirgo and art direction by Jim Titus. A definite upgrade in ALL departments from the previous Varese release, this fantastic score should be on the shelf of any soundtrack fan.

Also, be sure to pick up the new BLU RAY of THE FURY athttp://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/23997/THE-FURY-1978-PRE-ORDER/

source: https://www.facebook.com/lalalandrecords

post-35-0-28537100-1361284946_thumb.png

post-35-0-28537100-1361284946_thumb.png

Pretty good timing on my part, having sold my Deluxe Edition a little less than a year ago.

wait, you sold it a year ago (because obviously you didn't want it, and not knowing that a new edition will come), and now you will rebuy it? I'm trying to understand.. :)

Pretty good timing on my part, having sold my Deluxe Edition a little less than a year ago.

wait, you sold it a year ago (because obviously you didn't want it, and not knowing that a new edition will come), and now you will rebuy it? I'm trying to understand.. :)

:lol: This is exactly what I was thinking too...

No, I loved my Deluxe Edition, it's the most I ever spent on a single score. But I knew that we'd eventually get a rerelease, and since I was unemployed at the time and some extra cash didn't hurt, I decided to sell it off while it was still worth a lot of money.

No, I loved my Deluxe Edition, it's the most I ever spent on a single score. But I knew that we'd eventually get a rerelease, and since I was unemployed at the time and some extra cash didn't hurt, I decided to sell it off while it was still worth a lot of money.

ok, now I understand.. ;)

By the way, does anyone know, how much the Varese edition lasted?

I'm not sure if I can buy this on day 1 and i don't want to miss it again!

So how much is the most you ever spent on a single score?

For me, it was Jaws 2, around 80 bucks.

Great news! I am a bit on the fence with this one as I have the Varese version. If I conjure up extra cash some way or the other then I might pick this up. But I am glad those who missed this score back in 2002 have a chance to get it now. :)

So will hold 2013 any more surprises?

Yes.

Is Spielberg releasing a movie this year, by the way? I am so not up to speed.

No.

MV on this release:

This is certainly worth the rebuy. The sound on disc 2 is beyond amazing. After listening to what Tim andd Didier at Sony did, Mike Matessino sent them an email stating he never thought the score could sound so amazing.

MV

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=94644&forumID=1&archive=0

Jeff Bond on this release:

I didn't work on this one but to anyone who doesn't have this score OR has previous versions--this one sounds STUPENDOUS and blows away the sound on the earlier releases.

https://www.facebook.com/jeffc.bond/posts/509567475748386

And here's a link to a huge version of the cover:

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/861240_10151535632868755_1177846445_o.jpg

From: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151535632868755&set=a.181243738754.155532.56031953754&type=1

I pass. The original album is enough. Better listening experience and the best tracks are there. I do not need more. And of course, performed by the LSO. The film recording is performed by an Hollywood orchestra. So the original OST is far superior.

ckappes, the point of this new release is that the original OST has been completely remastered and will sound better than ever before

So how much is the most you ever spent on a single score?

For me, it was Jaws 2, around 80 bucks.

Really? Back when I was seeking out OOP JW scores, Jaws 2 was usually around $40-50. I spent $90 on The Fury, sold it for the same amount. Most I ever spent on a movie was $80 for Criterion's OOP release of The Third Man.

Fantastic news! This is probably one of my top 5 Williams scores, so I'll be sure to get this when it's out. And I adore the film too, I find it hilarious! I know it's maybe unintentional, but it's so bad it's good. Just the way I like my DePalma movies.

For those of you who don't know this great score, here's all you need to know about it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=UE8QQ7IBLds#t=123s

ckappes, the point of this new release is that the original OST has been completely remastered and will sound better than ever before

I'm not sure, Jason. I do not like the way some labels remaster their albums. The mainstream prefer an detailed and shrill sound. In the case of La La Land, I experienced some negative issues, aurally.

I give you an example with Dragonslayer. The Sounthern Cross CD (I know it's a bootleg, but a very good example to show) sounds warm and soft; overall the instrumentation, the recording and so on. The La Land Land sounds dry and shrill. That seems a trend these days, in terms of music. Otherwise, Hook from La La Land sounds fine, did they remaster it, too?

Another example is Raiders of the Lost Ark from Concord vs. Polydor. It seems to have the same problem...

Also, I do not want to spend money with at least one CD, which I will not listen to.

It's not like LLL has an in-house remastering team; Each different CD is mastered by the production team assigned to that particular release, all of whom are people who work for all the different labels.

Anyway, I think you should listen to the samples on LLL's website next Tuesday afternoon before making your final decision

Oh right I forgot about The Towering Inferno - I need that one on physical CD too. Hopefully LLL or somebody can do a proper 2CD set with the complete score on disc 1 and the LP retained on CD1

Nice, Kendal!

So, how does everyone rate this score? I don't own any version of it yet. So I can't say I'm excited, not having heard any of it or seen the film, but I feel obligated to buy it anyway...

If you like 70's Williams it's a no-brainer.

Karol - really really excited for this

Good news for the people who don't have this yet, but this reissue business is getting costly.

Yes, but in this case, I don't care. I have the previous two releases, and don't remember huge sound improvements on the 2CD set. If the LSO recording sounds only half as good as these quotes promise, I'd gladly pay $100 for this release.

Of all best Williams scores, this is the most underappreciated. And of all underappreciated Williams scores, it's the best. There probably are a few of his scores that can claim to be as good as The Fury, but as far as I'm concerned, probably none that can claim to be better.

Well, the Varese version ran 1:36 and this version runs 1:54, so its 18 minutes longer

Plus Neil S Bulk says

Yes, both discs have more music than the previous Varese album.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151250897337260&set=a.458899792259.251671.701952259&type=1

This one's an example of a score I didn't pay much attention to at first, because I found the OST release merely average. That was the only experience I had with it for years. The completist in me went ahead and picked up the Deluxe Edition . . . and I found an entirely new appreciation for the score. That's happened to me a few times, where the selections on the OSTs just haven't connected the way other pieces in a score do.

Which is why I'm glad we're in the era of expanded/complete scores. And why I won't have any qualms about picking up this version as well. (Y)

- Uni

Odd. I have nearly zero interest in the actual score recording, but the LSO album recording is utterly fantastic.

You're talking about the OST?

- Uni

I'm talking about the original album release, featuring the LSO recording (disc two on the 2CD set). The actual score (disc 1, unavailable before the 2CD set) has some additional material, but the stuff that's in both versions works better in the album arrangement for me, plus the orchestral performance on the original film tracks is rather on the weak side.

Well, the Varese version ran 1:36 and this version runs 1:54, so its 18 minutes longer

Plus Neil S Bulk says

Yes, both discs have more music than the previous Varese album.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151250897337260&set=a.458899792259.251671.701952259&type=1

18 more minutes are a lot. I thought the varese was complete..