La La Land re-releases THE FURY!

Oskar

I posted my comments about the sound quality on the second page and then repeated them just two posts above the post you just made.

There are also samples on LLL's website for you to hear the sound quality difference yourself.

And you still don't have an avatar.

Jason, sorry, i had to ask you this, because i just saw that the Bluray of the Fury and the 2cd of the Fury have identical prices. So:

Why do you find the Bluray expensive (The Fury Bluray= movie + isolated score track), but you don't feel the same way about the cd?

Just was wondering..

Oops! Sorry. I need glasses. I've been reading the posts concerning the sound difference. I would expect the original Arista release to sound stunning- it always did on vinyl. That's what you get for using the LSO, and Tooting Town Hall. The OST always sounded "flat" and "expressionless", so I'll be interested to hear how this version sounds.

Re: the absence of avatar: I have an avatar in mind, but I still don't know how to up, or down (or whatever) load it! Please don't try to explain, because my wee small brain will start to bleed. A good friend of mine said that he will do it for me, when I see him next (phew!).

Jason, sorry, i had to ask you this, because i just saw that the Bluray of the Fury and the 2cd of the Fury have identical prices. So:

Why do you find the Bluray expensive (The Fury Bluray= movie + isolated score track), but you don't feel the same way about the cd?

Just was wondering..

I do think The Fury CD is pricey, actually. I had no idea it would be $30, I assumed it would be $25 or even $20. It's still worth it of course, it's a fabulous presentation.

In general I find CDs to be worth more money than Blu Rays. I have absolutely zero problems spending $20-$30 on all the great film score releases the specialty labels are releasing these days. They are great products made with love that look great, sound great, and I want to keep on my shelf forever and listen to regularly.

Movies are movies. You watch them and then they go collect dust for years until there's a format change and you have to upgrade your collection to the latest format. I have been selling all my old DVDs and buy far, far less blu rays. And I try not to spend more than $6 on each one I do get. So to spend $30 on The Fury BD is way, way more than normal for me! However, I just realized I can consider it more of a film score - related item and not a Movie - related item, so it won't blow my BD average out of the water :)

Re: the absence of avatar: I have an avatar in mind, but I still don't know how to up, or down (or whatever) load it! Please don't try to explain, because my wee small brain will start to bleed. A good friend of mine said that he will do it for me, when I see him next (phew!).

Scroll to the top of any page of the JWFan forum while you are logged in, and click on your own username in the upper right-hand corner, then click "My Settings". Then, just click "Change My Photo". In there, just click "Choose File", find your file and select it, then click "Done". Easy as that.

That's what you get for using the LSO, and Tooting Town Hall.

The recording venue for the album was actually All Saints Church in Tooting. I keep meaning to go and have a look at it, as I am often nearby for work. I believe that the London Philharmonic Orchestra's rerecording of Hugo Friedhofer's The Best Years of Our Lives was also done there at about the same time and that too sounds fantastic.

Just tried to load an avatar, and blood started to drip on to the front of my shirt!

Sorry, Omen, but I've never lived in south London. It seems a rather "demonic" score to be recording in a church, though. The Lord doth truly move in mysterious ways...I've never been to the Colosseum, in Watford (I'm sure some OST stuff was recorded there) but I have heard (no pun intended!) that it is a good venue.

"No spoilers", indeed. We wouldn't want to end up like John Cassavetes, now, would we? (makes knowing look at terminal screen)

Wow I just noticed this release now

Hmm, if someone had told me that John Williams discussion is now a SUB FORUM of the MB...

I hope it's not sold out yet

When I left after listening, there was a note on the door "please turn down your music, even if it is wonderful". LOL

ROTFLMAO:lol:

So basically the extra music is source music

I'm not sure I like this trend of re-issuing 2 c.d. sets we got a few years ago in slightly better form rather than something that never got released before

Yes I bought it, but I don't feel totally good about it

"I don't feel good about getting something in better sound, instead of getting something that we won't get"

Well, this one might be justified to get the film version in better sound.

But I skipped some other re-issues with alleged better sound (Jane Eyre, Home Alone 2)

I think that they will release whatever they can. I like the reissues of The Fury and Home Alone. Especially for those who can't pay 100.00 for a copy after it sells out. I really think the more Williams music available is the best case scenario. But these boutique labels aren't money grabbing, just making it available to the people who love it.

these boutique labels aren't money grabbing, just making it available to the people who love it.

THIS

And Jane Eyre and The Fury sound MUCH better than the older CD versions.

Home Alone 2 sounds the same, but its still a worthwhile upgrade for the bonus tracks and revised artwork and liner notes

So basically the extra music is source music

I'm not sure I like this trend of re-issuing 2 c.d. sets we got a few years ago in slightly better form rather than something that never got released before

Yes I bought it, but I don't feel totally good about it

It's not like they're like "Hmm we can release the complete sessions to an unreleased masterpiece or reissue an OOP CD... let's do the reissue." They do what they can. This is an amazing release.

There are true expansions of other Williams releases in the works right now, and coming out soon. A new release of The Fury or Home Alone 2 or Witches of Eastwick in the meantime does not hinder their progress.

Some of these re-issues of popular titles also help put some cash in the label's pockets to fund other releases as well.

As great as the London recording album is with its performance and acoustics (I've heard it several times before), I must say I'm really loving the film version on this album. The score definitely benefits from the chronological presentation. It's just a great listen from start to finish. This might be indeed one of Williams' forgotten masterpieces. There's something about his late 70's sound that just appeals to me more than anything else. And while I can hear some references to Herrmann the score is nothing other but John Williams through and through. Great set.

Now, imagine Dracula with a treatment like this...

Karol

One of mine too, especially considering I never got the OST. I really hope someone can expand it!

Dracula deserves better than a re-issue. If I remember correctly, one theme is completely absent from the OST. A fully-loaded single disc presentation would be superb. Fingers crossed...

Ah Dracula. My #1 most wanted.

Ditto. :thumbup:

Ditto, x 2!!!!!

The music that plays when the carriage arrives at Donald Pleanance's is just fantastic!

Does anyone know if the music that plays as Dracula dances with Mina is an original compositional, or a period piece?

It is interesting to see that the new release contains the entirely absent recordings of the calliope music for the carousel sequence that previously appeared only on the OST album take on the Death on a Carousel. I always suspected that JW composed the carousel music for the film but wondered why it didn't make it to the Varese CD.

Seems like they were trying varying approaches for that scene. To carousel or not to carousel was the question.

Exactly. The non-carousel version is the first attempt. The notes suggest why they decided to go with a carousel version.

Karol - loving this score

Ah, I got the Blu-ray first (still waiting for the 2-CD set to come) and the isolated score sounds AWESOME! Even has some unexpected pre-cue speaking. And source music is there, too, which was almost unheard in the old DVD. Since The Fury is my favorite score (tied with Empire Strikes Back and Revenge of the Sith as three scores I simply cannot choose between, but love dearly), to hear it isolated with a beautifully remasteted print is worth every penny. And at $30, that's a lot of them, haha. Now can't wait for the 2-CD set. This is one score that I am SO happy they are giving us everything. And considering that I have a sealed LP, two different releases of the OST CD and the Varese 2-CD set.... throw these two into the collection as well. Thank you La-La Land and Twilight Time!

Curious... To those who got it already: Did you order direct from La-La Land or Screen Archives? I was having trouble getting the LLL's checkout system to work with one of my PayPal accounts, so I ordered from SAE. SAE got the Blu-ray to me faster than expected, but still waiting on that 2-CD set. The Blu-ray will hold me in the meantime.

People mention Dracula, that would be good. A complete film version of Images seems unlikely, but very desired by me as well. And hoping/praying that all six Star Wars scores get complete/remastered treatment. Someday they will. Disney? Oh God... it took how long for that to come true with one of my other original childhood faves... The Black Hole? Ugh....

One of mine too, especially considering I never got the OST. I really hope someone can expand it!

I've had to settle for a digital transfer from an LP. Guess I should be happy I have anything at all. . . !

- Uni

Does anyone know if the music that plays as Dracula dances with Mina is an original compositional, or a period piece?

It's a few years since I last watched the film so I cannot remember where all the music went, but I identified three pieces of source music in Dracula: the famous tango La Cumparsita, Tales from the Vienna Woods by Johann Strauss II and the Sicilienne from Gabriel Faure's Pelleas et Melisande. Cross reference with YouTube and Robert's your father's brother.