Hmm ... well, we'll see how it turns out. Personally, I prefer the Bond song artists to have chalked up a bit of a longer career than Sam Smith ... maybe I'm old-fashioned, but with Bond now being the only franchise left where the theme song is still a big deal it feels like a prestigious gig that should be 'earned'.

Feels like they're hiring whoever is the hottest artist of the moment - I'm with you on them having earned it.

However, it would be hypocritical of me to complain about that, because I'd be really happy if Lana Del Rey had got the gig.

Yep

I'm pretty sure she was never supposed to sing the Quantum theme song, and Arnold actually wrote it afterwards based on his theme, but exclusively for her album. Might be wrong.

I have never once in my life bothered with listening to the lyrics of any pop song...

Most pop lyrics are banal shit, but there are some quality lyricists out there. Grey mentioned Roger Walters and Colin Meloy, but there's plenty others. Tom Waits, Kanye West, Chuck D, Chrissie Hynde, Lennon/McCartney, Morrissey, Patti Smith, Aimee Mann, Leonard Cohen, Jimmy Webb, Joni MitchelL, Peter Gabriel, David Bowie etc.

Yep

I'm pretty sure she was never supposed to sing the Quantum theme song, and Arnold actually wrote it afterwards based on his theme, but exclusively for her album. Might be wrong.

No, you're right.

Brilliant. Everything from the timpani roll, gong strike, harp gliss, and the the trumpets and flutes doubling the violins, the rolling cello arpeggios, the horn counterline, and the major seventh and minor ninth dissonances. Pure Barry.

Yep ... for instance, as Bond and Severine see Silva's island from the boat. But as you point out, invisible ... it was a genuine surprise when I discovered CGI had been used in that shot.

Brilliant. Everything from the timpani roll, gong strike, harp gliss, and the the trumpets and flutes doubling the violins, the rolling cello arpeggios, the horn counterline, and the major seventh and minor ninth dissonances. Pure Barry.

I just hope it will be a better song than Skyfall. I can't possibly be the only person to find that song totally uninteresting, can I?

I've not heard Wilson or Broccoli dissing the film in any interviews. Though rumor has it Wilson hated it.

I saw it again last year. Its not just the CGI. There's so much wrong with it. It doesn't even look like a real Bond movie.

Even Brosnan look off in it.

The first act could have led into a pretty good film, actually.

But somehow, it all turns to shit around the time Halle Berry appears. It's when they start to do their whole it's-the-twentieth-Bond-film-on-the-fortieth-anniversary-so-let's-drag-every-fucking-Bond-cliche-into-this-film-and-shove-it-down-the-audience's-throat thing.

Then the movie stops being its own film and becomes a two-hour commercial for the franchise, inexplicably edited like a fucking music video. Such a waste.