Oscar Live Thread

King Mark

Yea I didn't expect she'd win either, not because I didn't like her performance in SLP, but just because she's young and it's not a really great movie overalll

But I haven't seen any of the other performances she was up against, maybe non of them were as good.

It's weird they didn't do Best Director just before Best Picture, isn't that how it's always been?

No sometimes its the way it was tonight. The best Oscar telecaast in years. Truly Mediocre. ;)

They shouldn't emphasize that he didn't get nominated for Best Director

Sure they should and Oscar has always poked fun at itself.

The Oscars are only as good as the films and people nominated in all the categories. Get a bunch of films no one cares about or has seen, you get a dull broadcast.

As disappointing as the results are for Lincoln fans, the one silver lining (playbook?) is that since Spielberg didn't win an Oscar, maybe he won't take a few years off like he did after winning for SL and SPR. Which means more JW scores.

Here's a list of JW music I heard played by the orchestra

-Theme from Jurassic Park

-Theme from Angela's Ashes

-Theme from Jaws

-E.T.

-Schindler's list

-Hedwig's Theme

-Yoda's Theme

-The Raiders March

-Various bits from Lincoln

Glad I didn't stay up for it then. Glad for Argo. Unlucky for JW I suppose. There's always next year.

This recent habit of Best Director and Best Picture not matching is fuckin' stupid. Doesn't it go back to Saving Private Ryan?

I don't think it's necessarily stupid. I mean, you often hear comments on this board about how "the music makes the film." That's an example of a film that is better than the director could have made it. And you could apply that to any other category, not just music.

Huh? Of course they say that here - it's a film score forum. But Indy, the composer is secondary to the director - who actually built the film from scratch. Your analogy is silly.

That's an example of a film that is better than the director could have made it.

No it isn't. It's just film score fan bias hyperbole. The score to such a movie wouldn't be as effective if it weren't for the director who made the inspirational imagery to begin with.

Or are you in actual fact referring to MUSIC here and not score? Either way, it's absolutely wrong to suggest a composer is shoulder to shoulder with the director.

Nah, you just didnt read the thread and thought it safe to assume people would be going ballistic, when they're really not.

Everyone knows how the Oscars work by now not to invest more than a passing, quietly optimistic interested in the outcome where Williams is concerned.

Of course people would love him to bag another win, especially here, but the truth is we are well conditioned to how these things work, after the years of drought and inevitability. It's all just shrugs of the shoulders when the envelope is opened these days.

Now multiple that by decades and you'll begin to understand how England feel about the World Cup ;)

Nah, you just didnt read the thread and thought it safe to assume people would be going ballistic, when they're really not.

Everyone knows how the Oscars work by now not to invest more than a passing, quietly optimistic interested in the outcome where Williams is concerned.

That's obviously not what Luke feels ...

What quint describes it how I really feel. I even forgot to check the winners this morning.

I may have used a little colorful language...but i knew inside williams was not going to win.

It is still sad that his last win was 19 years ago.

Williams wasn't going to win, that was pretty clear.

But there were some other strange choices. And I for one was not pleased to see Argo win Best Picture.

My one thought during the parts that I watched from the ceremony was what John's reactions to Seth's jokes must have been, considering the gentleman he is...

Imagined he was like this during the whole thing...

56584804.png

And what about the Ricky Gervais ones?

Wow. A tie! That's something that doesn't happen that often. (Wonder what it would be like to see Johnny tie with, say, Michael Danna. . . ?)

Just imagine Williams tying for Star Wars and CE3K. And that would've been deserved, too...

Glad I didn't stay up for it then. Glad for Argo. Unlucky for JW I suppose. There's always next year.

He has to write something first...

Shout out to William Ross, he got to conduct Harry Potter again!

The broadcast was pretty entertaining this year, in spite of some of the awards I didn't agree with. This year I saw all the Best Picture nominees except Zero Dark Thirty, and I liked all of them better than Argo.

Nice to see Brave winning, Jennifer Lawrence, Adele, etc. Would have liked more recognition for The Master. I still can't believe it wasn't nominated more, but at least the actors got nods.

Good to see Ralph McQuarrie in the obits. I'm a big fan of Hal David too so it was nice he got acknowledged.

Huh? Of course they say that here - it's a film score forum. But Indy, the composer is secondary to the director - who actually built the film from scratch. Your analogy is silly.

That's an example of a film that is better than the director could have made it.

No it isn't. It's just film score fan bias hyperbole. The score to such a movie wouldn't be as effective if it weren't for the director who made the inspirational imagery to begin with.

Or are you in actual fact referring to MUSIC here and not score? Either way, it's absolutely wrong to suggest a composer is shoulder to shoulder with the director.

I'm saying that there are elements of a film that the director is not directly responsible for that can improve it. The director still plays the biggest role in shaping the film, but there are other elements too. Like take Lincoln--there are 4 elements for me that vastly improve it as a film: acting, screenplay, cinematography and music. Spielberg definitely had a hand in all of these, but a lot of credit needs to go to DDL, Tony Kushner, JW, etc.

In retrospect, I'm pretty disappointed in the Bond tribute as well. A montage? That's the best they could pull out? Why not get the Bonds themselves lined up on stage to receive a well-deserved ovation? Shirley Bassey was magnificent, to be sure, but when you consider the franchise is celebrating its 50th year of success, you could hardly call what they dribbled out last night a "tribute."

- Uni

Spielberg had a hand in it? He made it! The others had a hand in it, I think you mean.

Reread my post Quint. I wasn't talking about the film as a whole, but about specific aspects of it. Spielberg didn't come up with the sound of Lincoln's voice; Spielberg didn't write the themes in the score; Spielberg didn't write the screenplay. He had a hand in shaping these elements, but to say the film was 100% a result of his genius is silly. No director is responsible for 100% of their film.

Spielberg had a hand in it? He made it! The others had a hand in it, I think you mean.

Reread my post Quint. I wasn't talking about the film as a whole, but about specific aspects of it. Spielberg didn't come up with the sound of Lincoln's voice; Spielberg didn't write the themes in the score; Spielberg didn't write the screenplay. He had a hand in shaping these elements, but to say the film was 100% a result of his genius is silly. No director is responsible for 100% of their film.
All I'm saying is I completely dispute your director vs. composer/writer/cinematographer analogy in regards to the Best Picture and Director awards and even find it nonsensical.

In retrospect, I'm pretty disappointed in the Bond tribute as well. A montage? That's the best they could pull out? Why not get the Bonds themselves lined up on stage to receive a well-deserved ovation? Shirley Bassey was magnificent, to be sure, but when you consider the franchise is celebrating its 50th year of success, you could hardly call what they dribbled out last night a "tribute."

- Uni

Shirley Bassey was terrible to be sure. I felt bad for her, what an awful embarrasing performance.

On the other hand Adele and Nora were terrific, Scarlett's voice was very sultry, very nice.

Oh god not Striesand....

she was wonderful.

As much as I loved all the Williams music played it was John Barry's that I enjoyed the best last night. It's a love letter to God.

All this talk, but none about Williams in the audience?

He was sitting there, at the end of the row on the right side from the middle (same row as Haneke, only further back). Strange that he wasn't sitting together with Spielberg & co.

Did you notice that Williams high-fived the sound guys in the first category? That was cool.

[Edit: Nevermind, I see it was the guy in front of Williams who high-fived, but JW leaned forward so it looked like him]

nobody but Roald would mistake Tobin Bell for John Williams up close and personal

Did he say: "Yo, give me five, bro!"?

No, Williams just turned to him, and quietly nodded his head upwards. And the high five proceeded from there. No words necessary.

Oh absolutely. But don't presume that John is so small time that he actually verbalizes those thoughts.

I saw him at a restaurant once. He nodded and the servers just brought his food out to him.

Well in that case...

I saw John at a restaurant once. He nodded and the servers just brought his food out to him. But it was my mistake, because it was actually to the guy behind him.

Shirley Bassey was terrible to be sure. I felt bad for her, what an awful embarrasing performance.

You're kidding, right? Actually, never mind . . . I don't suppose you are. . . .

Well in that case...

I saw John at a restaurant once. He nodded and the servers just brought his food out to him. But it was my mistake, because it was actually to the guy behind him.

No, the guy behind him nodded, and they brought the food out to Williams. And the servers high-fived the cook.

- Uni