Oscar Live Thread

King Mark

I actually agree with Joey, when she first walked out and kinda just spat out "Goldfinga" ... it was a facepalm moment. She got better as it went on but I'd hardly call it a great performance. Nora Jones gave the best one, I thought.

It was an optical illusion!

No, they look real enough—

Oh. Sorry. Thought you were talking about the lady a couple of rows behind Williams. My bad. . . .

- Uni

Oh absolutely. But don't presume that John is so small time that he actually verbalizes those thoughts.

I saw him at a restaurant once. He nodded and the servers just brought his food out to him.

True. I have to admit I do this occasionally...

Love that jaws cutoff!

I dunno, the fact that they cut off the poor guy just as he was trying to draw attention to Rhythm & Hues recent bankruptcy made it kind of tasteless, I thought :(

It's weird they didn't do Best Director just before Best Picture, isn't that how it's always been?

I think it's always been either Director, Actor, or Actress. They switch it up every now and then, but it's always one of those three.

This recent habit of Best Director and Best Picture not matching is fuckin' stupid. Doesn't it go back to Saving Private Ryan?

I think it's less common now than it used to be, actually. The director of Wings wasn't even nominated for the first Oscars. John Ford won 4 Directing Oscars, and 3 of them weren't for Best Pictures. Coppola didn't win for The Godfather. Doesn't make much sense, but it's nothing new.

Spielberg had a hand in it? He made it! The others had a hand in it, I think you mean.

Reread my post Quint. I wasn't talking about the film as a whole, but about specific aspects of it. Spielberg didn't come up with the sound of Lincoln's voice; Spielberg didn't write the themes in the score; Spielberg didn't write the screenplay. He had a hand in shaping these elements, but to say the film was 100% a result of his genius is silly. No director is responsible for 100% of their film.
All I'm saying is I completely dispute your director vs. composer/writer/cinematographer analogy in regards to the Best Picture and Director awards and even find it nonsensical.

C'mon Quint, if you're going to repeatedly make an assertion, at some point you're going to have to defend it.

Shirley Bassey was terrible to be sure. I felt bad for her, what an awful embarrasing performance.

You're kidding, right? Actually, never mind . . . I don't suppose you are. . . .

>>>Well in that case...

I saw John at a restaurant once. He nodded and the servers just brought his food out to him. But it was my mistake, because it was actually to the guy behind him.

No, the guy behind him nodded, and they brought the food out to Williams. And the servers high-fived the cook.

- Uni

no I'm not kidding and she's not getting good reviews. perhaps you were kidding.

Everyone at work thought as I did. I'm not trying to be mean but she did not start well, she did finish better.

Well, I could debate the various reviews of her performance. But if the guys at work say she was terrible . . . I must be out of my depth. How can I argue with that?

- Uni

Well, I could debate the various reviews of her performance. But if the guys at work say she was terrible . . . I must be out of my depth. How can I argue with that?

- Uni

please leave the snobbery at home, it doesn't become you.

- Uni

please leave the snobbery at home, it doesn't become you.

This . . . from you. If it were anyone else, maybe.

Besides—I am at home. (Y)

- Uni

What is the music that plays after Amour wins the best short film? Around 16:10 in this video:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/460062

I think it's the SPR section of American Journey...but that's not really from a movie (and an unusual choice for the Academy) so I'm wondering if it's also from a different film score...

Well Seth Mc Farlane says he'll never host the Oscars again after some negative reviews

Some various groups and associations are demanding apologies from the Academy for some of the jokes. Seems these offended people have never watched a single episode of Family Guy or the movie Ted.

What is the music that plays after Amour wins the best short film? Around 16:10 in this video:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/460062

I think it's the SPR section of American Journey...but that's not really from a movie (and an unusual choice for the Academy) so I'm wondering if it's also from a different film score...

Angela's Ashes.

Lots of people are riled up about the boob song.

Frankly it's a load of shit, someone always has to raise a fuss over nothing.

I'm sure all those actresses were so offended by appearing in the sketches with. Some critics were so dumb they didn't realize it was filmed ahead of the Oscars. Some didn't even realize the women who's reactions we saw, were wearing different dresses in the skit. They actually thought the reactions were real time.

Yeah it seemed like a bunch of overt feminism, and frankly the only part of MacFarlane's hosting that I thought could be considered sexist was his "We don't care what you say because you're pretty to look at" thing.

Even Joel McNeely commented about the reactions on his Facebook lol

Ahhh Angela's Ashes, can't believe I didn't catch that.

As for Seth MacFarlane, I could see how somebody could be offended. They're funny jokes, but they also perpetuate horrible stereotyes and perceptions of women and minorities. It's easy to think that it's just a joke and nobody will take it seriously, but this really does feed the racism/sexism of a lot of people, consciously and subconscoiusly. And I say this as someone who absolutely wants to love MacFarlane (Family Guy and Ted are both guilty pleasures), and who thinks that he's incredibly talented and not intentionally doing the harm he probably has.

People really seem to be overreacting. I thought he was largely funny and that this was a better ceremony compared to the last few years.

With all due respect, you guys are all straight white males, right? I don't mean this in a condescending or offensive way, but it's very easy to brush this stuff off as harmless or inoffensive if you haven't experienced prejudice (intentional or otherwise). Little things matter.

But those complaining aren't largely those who have been prejudiced, but rather those with too much time on their hands and someone to listen.

I don't know who you're referring to, but the complainers I have heard are mostly women (who were definitely the largest target on Oscar night). And regardless, anyone should be able to stand up against prejudice, even those who aren't the one directly affected by it...the same way you would applaud an innocent bystander for standing up to a bully, even if they aren't the victim (not to say Seth's perpetuation a were intentional).

It's going towards you can't make fun of anything or anyone because some group is going to get "offended" whatever the subject matter is. ooh a fat joke. Here comes the complaints by the National Association of Fat People. We demand apologies and that he never hosts again

Get over it, it was just jokes

Exactly. He made a song about boobs. He simply stated what movies actress got nekid in. Its not like he photoshopped a bunch of pictures of actress and put them on the screen. He didn't do anything offensive, but a bunch of people who have nothing better to do with their time are complaining just to get attention. This whole PC thing is getting ridiculous, as I'm getting tired of hearing bullying on tv at least once a day.

There are so many real problems in the world that can be addressed and called attention to, but a song about rich women that took their clothes off for money is causing controversy? Good thing everyone's priorities are straight.

With all due respect, you guys are all straight white males, right? I don't mean this in a condescending or offensive way, but it's very easy to brush this stuff off as harmless or inoffensive if you haven't experienced prejudice (intentional or otherwise). Little things matter.

Well, I'm not straight. I thought the whole show was harmless.

Exactly. He made a song about boobs. He simply stated what movies actress got nekid in. Its not like he photoshopped a bunch of pictures of actress and put them on the screen. He didn't do anything offensive, but a bunch of people who have nothing better to do with their time are complaining just to get attention. This whole PC thing is getting ridiculous, as I'm getting tired of hearing bullying on tv at least once a day.

There are so many real problems in the world that can be addressed and called attention to, but a song about rich women that took their clothes off for money is causing controversy? Good thing everyone's priorities are straight.

And the whole song was satire anyway, as is much of what MacFarlane does. I was waiting for him to get to Kate Winslet :lol: She has made fun of her constant nudity before too.

I read an article calling him and the Academy sexist and she proceeded to throw out Oscar stats about how women are inferior in the movie business. It's sort of like what Trevor Rabin said at one of those film score talks about why there aren't many female composers, "Most just aren't any good."