David Smith: John Williams' Music Should Be Enjoyed Beyond Movies

indy4

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He makes a good point for the non-film score fan concerning Williams but he's still one of those who thinks film music has no credibility outside of the movies it was composed for.

A decent article (and his assessment of most film music is -unfortunately- largely correct, given the quality of the majority of film music especially these days). Few things give me greater joy than seeing Williams' film works programmed with more serious fare (as his works surely are).

Granted, most film scores range from forgettable to bad. Sappy sentimentality mixes in equal proportion with bland bombast. Cheap manipulation seems to be the usual goal.

Nevertheless, perhaps familiarity breeds contempt. We think more of Darth Vader when we hear Williams music from Star Wars rather than actually hearing the music on its own terms. Such is the kind of cheapening shorthand in which our culture specializes and it works against a deeper appreciation of something quite worthwhile.

Isn't it a bit ironic that both sentences are by the same guy?

David A. Smith, you suck.

I stopped reading after those two paragraphs.

Not entirely sure what he's trying to say, other than Williams should be considered for his concert work as much as his film work.

He seems to dislike the association between music and film, and considers most of film music unmemorable; however I think that's 100% down to individual tastes.

Well it doesn't suck but it ranks as one of Williams' most disappointing efforts, of course given the uninspiring subject matter I'm not surprised the music turned out the way it did.