Whose Line Is It Anyway? coming back on TV

chuck

Anyone who has ever watched the American version of the show will be totally excited of this piece of news. WLIA will return this summer on CW. Plus, they got the old gang back: Colin Mochrie, Ryan Stiles & Wayne Brady will appear with a special guest every week. The only one who's not gonna return is Drew Carey; instead Aisha Tyler of Archer will host.

I grew up watching this show and it's always gut-busting hilariously funny. Can't wait to watch this again.

That's okay with me, Drew's not a very good improv comic anyway. Just seeing Colin & Ryan together again is just giving me chills.

Oh yeah, that belongs to the top 5 funniest episodes of WLIA.

I just wish they add Jeff Davies, Chip Esten, Brad Sherwood & Greg Proops into the main cast. I don't care if they don't have any special guests every week. Just the seven of them would make my world complete again.

• 2 months later...

Boy you ain't kidding, Col Mochrie has gone all white!

Greatest Hits was always my least favorite of the games, but boy am I glad the show is coming back!

• 1 month later...

Anybody watch tonight?

I thought the first episode was pretty funny and a good warm-up. The second episode was HILARIOUS! Loved that new game where they acted out the scenes lying down, with the camera pointing down from above and all the scenery positioned so the floor looks like a wall. And Ryan and Colin's "Helping Hands" skit with the kid from Glee killed me. Especially when Colin forced Ryan to eat that entire ice cream bar whole ROTFLMAO

My only real nitpick is the celeb guests. They were fun, but there was no room left for audience participation. There was the one game where they were going through the girls' purses, but that didn't involve the girls themselves, and I always felt that constantly involving regular audience members every episode brought the show down-to-earth and I think was a part of what made the fans feel such strong ownership of it. You could imagine yourself going to a taping and suddenly getting thrown in with these guys and not having a clue what to say or do, and those moments were responsible for some of the series' biggest highlights. Hopefully they do include more of that, because having it so celeb-heavy gives it more of a corporate air. At least when the ABC version did have celebs, they got people who were famous personalities on their own, like Robin Williams, David Hasselhoff, or Richard Simmons. Throwing minor TV stars into the mix and hyping them up -- along with the fact that the first official promo was essentially a 90210 ad -- comes off like they're using Whose Line as a vehicle to promote other shows. And that kind of sucks. Hopefully they're just doing it as an early marketing strategy and they'll back off if it gets renewed.

I also think having so many commercial breaks lost a lot of the rapport in between games, plus Aisha Tyler just hasn't developed that with the performers yet, like Drew was able to do over the course of 8 years, but that's to be expected. Regardless, it really made me laugh, I loved seeing those old guys riffing with each other again, and I can't wait to see the rest. Thank God it's back!

I'm not sure if they're airing again tonight. They're definitely showing both of last night's episodes again on Friday, though, at 8/7c. They're also up online: http://www.cwtv.com/shows/whose-line-is-it-anyway/

And then new ones are going to be Tuesdays at 8/7c for the next month or so!

• 2 weeks later...

24 episodes? How oldfasioned. Why not do 12 and have quality?

That's kind of like saying Jeopardy! would be better off with 20 episodes per season instead of 200. I don't think the length of a season matters so much with short-form series like Whose Line. It's just a sketch show, relatively cheap to produce and entirely improvised. Each episode (and aside from running gags, even the individual sketches within the episodes) are self-contained and not interdependent at all, which puts it closer to a game show than a regular comedy series. That cuts out a lot of factors like narrative arcs and dramatic continuity and all of that other stuff that can make extended seasons of scripted series feel stretched too thin.

Episode 4 was funny too, though it was weird they did the exorcist again with the sideways game

Shoot, have i been living in a cave...this is awesome, one of my favorite shows - been a fan since the original UK version was on comedy central (I think that was the channel). I actually went to live recording of the show when it was on ABC....funniest 2-3 hours of my entire life. Can't wait to watch it again!!

yes, I liked the show well enough but like the dinosaurs it's time has passed.

Is that why SNL is still running?

I mean that's been on air even since the Puritans landed!

SNL has survived by reinventing itself time and again, however there are high points and low points.

it's got a major reinventing job this coming season.

Yes, Bill Hader, Fred Armisen, and Jason Sudekis all left this year, and Andy Samberg and Kristen Wiig left last year, so next season is going to be pretty different!

Hopefully they can find some new cast members that are better then the new ones from the last 3-5 years. That Jay Pharoah guy does good impressions, but that's ALL he does. And they even made a skit about how that's all he does!

I'm not sure I like the semi-but-not-really-famous guest stars on Whose Line. It forces the show to do the same type of skits each time (the ones that require a guest), and I'd prefer more variety. I think they've only done one "Scenes from a Hat" so far, and that was one of my favorite games.

The sideways game is cool once, but there's only so much they can do with it. Visually it's pretty cool though.

I think episode 5 doesn't have a special guest at all, which will be nice. Those guests probably were necessary to boost early ratings

Dammit, I missed this too. One my favorite shows for years, and I can't wait to catch up on the new stuff.

Are they doing three-headed Broadway star. . . ?

- Uni

They haven't done much signing so far. No 3-headed yet. Not a fan of the special guest stars this go around. Some of the funniest moments of the ABC carnation was when they pulled audience members on-stage for songs or to provide the sound effects for a scene.

I love this new season. People are calling it a reboot, which I think is a misnomer, because it's the same old show, which is not a bad thing. Drew Carey's out, but he was always the weakest link. Aisha Tyler is a good host and wisely doesn't involve herself in the games as much as Drew did. Wayne, Colin and Ryan are perfect as always. Like everyone else, I'm not a fan of the special guest stuff. It pretty much makes the fourth cast member irrelevant.

I watched the first episode on CW's website. It was meh. Horrible host and the guest star didn't even utter a word until the end credits. Only thing that made me laugh was the skit with the audience members' purses.

That is not a picture of Aisha Tyler. Or at least not the right Aisha Tyler.

Pretty sure it is, just her about 15 years ago.

Wow, really? Her face looks COMPLETELY different! If it is her, that's amazing! Also, was she would have had to have been a model or something before she became a comedian/actress for that picture to exist

Watched episode 5 tonight, hilarious as all the others. Both skits with the syncronized swimmers were great, as was the return of Forward Reverse!

Wow, really? Her face looks COMPLETELY different! If it is her, that's amazing! Also, was she would have had to have been a model or something before she became a comedian/actress for that picture to exist

Its the eye makeup that makes her eyes look smaller. Definitely looks like her to me, as she used to have a chubbier face back in the day when she was doing Talk Soup. Its probably just a magazine photo shot, which plenty of actress' do without being models. Sometimes you try to over-complicate things.

Glad they're diversifying the games a bit by bringing back the green screen news reporter one. Much better than the sideways game. Still, I can't believe there's only been one "Scenes from a Hat" this season.

Just watched episode 6, it was good to see the return of 3-headed broadway singer. Good to hear the green screen reporter game is coming back. The sideways game is SO played out - it's basically the same jokes every time (though episode 6's was maybe a little better than the last few)

The most annoying part of episode 6 was bringing out the guest "star" (i use that term very loosely!) was involved in THREE sketches, which meant the actual 4th guest actor was only in 2! They have to stop with this nonsense - stop parading out these D-listers unless it's for some special reason a few times a season, otherwise just put someone you want to be in the show in the 4th chair! sheesh!