Michael Giacchino's Jupiter Ascending (2015)

luke905

The movie was set to release in July, so the score must have been recorded

now maybe they'll replace that..

Still a Febuary relase date is worrysome, we usually get movles like Ghostrider 2 or I, Frankenstein

The movie was set to release in July, so the score must have been recorded

The bulk of the score was recorded in June 2013, with pickup sessions in London a few weeks ago.

This will be an opportunity to chop it up and move it around to other parts of the film because it'll probably go through a massive re-edit.

Well, that was more or less the original intent - the score was not written or recorded to the picture.

You mean Slashfilm?

The film (and thus, sadly, Giacchino's score) has been delayed until February 2015.

Source: http://www.slashfilm.com/jupiter-ascending-delay-february-2015/

That's a bummer. I guess the waiting continues...

Cause yea, it's mentioned right there.

Woops. *official

There is no way that a month out from release visual effects are somehow 8 months behind. They would have to be sleeping on the job for the last 8 months.

Right. You're saying since the official excuse is the VFX are behind schedule, what you think is really happening is the film tested poorly and is going to be reworked, or just dumped off in the off season

Yup.

Someone on IMDb who apparently predicted this was coming several days before hand seems to indicate the same thing:

Posted May 29:

Because of the surprising low tracking surveys, the inexplicable popularity of Guardians of the Galaxy and the recent release date change of Lucy, many WB's executives are pushing for a move to March 20, 2015.

They believe a late winter/early spring is more suitable JA than a summer date.

I agree, a big budget non-existing property hard scifi would have a struggle during the summer months, as shown by its tracking numbers. It would be better to release this film before the summer movie flood.

Oh wow I didn't even realize Lucy had been pushed from August to July, that's great!

You mean Slashfilm?

The film (and thus, sadly, Giacchino's score) has been delayed until February 2015.

Source: http://www.slashfilm.com/jupiter-ascending-delay-february-2015/

That's a bummer. I guess the waiting continues...

Cause yea, it's mentioned right there.

I simply don't buy the "we need more time to finish the VFX" excuse, if it truly was then WB would simply hire more VFX houses to complete the film in time for the original date. (A similar situation would be 300: Rise of an Empire, but that was completed on schedule and pushed to the same weekend that its predecessor did well in.) Likely scenario is that Jupiter isn't testing well, and WB decides to avoid tarnishing their beloved mid-July spot with a certain-to-be flop by moving it to winter.

The Variety article mentioned WB's domestic distribution head Dan Fellman, who noted that Captain America: The Winter Soldier and The LEGO Movie did well outside the usual release weekends. Maybe he's right and maybe the film will succeed outside the summertime. But the new date isn't exactly a reliable one either.

I hadn't paid much attention to this movie until I heard it would be delayed. That led me to watch the trailers. I agree the "delayed effects schedule" is a red herring; they started working on the VFX before they began filming the movie (probably before the script was even done). I'd put hard money on the table that it's testing horribly—and that 90% of the reason is the casting. Who the hell puts Mila Kunis in a role where she's supposed to be some kinda universe-saving queen? She has almost no acting chops, apart from her basic self-portrayal in That 70s Show, and certainly doesn't have the mojo to carry a movie like this on her shoulders. And Channing Tatum isn't exactly Mr. Charisma, either. I can't see this pair holding the pivot point of an intergalactic epic.

It sounds great, doesn't it? The movie looks okay enough. I like Kunis and Tatum is becoming less and less like his starting self. Maybe he's on the cusp of a big acting break like Franco was able to do?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Intriguing. In the attempt to explain more of the plot in the trailer they've made it even more incomprehensible.

At least it's something new and not just another Superhero movie or Young Adult Dystopian movie, or reboot, or sequel.

I haven't watched it yet, is there any MG music in it?

No. But the trailer did indicate Sony Classical will be releasing the soundtrack.

The trailer confirmed that WaterTower Music would be releasing the soundtrack, not Sony Classical.

WaterTower in the US, Sony Classical internationally

In fact, the trailer I embedded above is from the Warner Brothers UK youtube channel, and the trailer mentions Sony Classical at the end

Here's an embed from the Warner Brothers US youtube channel, which mentions WaterTower at the end

Hey yea that's right, good call. I guess it's not an exclusive deal then, I was remembering wrong.

I've also never figured out why WaterTower has no international division.

• 3 months later...