John Williams Conducts the Baltimore Symphony June 4!

Joe Brausam

• 2 months later...

I was going to hit the Baltimore concert as well this year, an old teacher of mine from Towson plays in the orchestra, but I decided to go to a David Sedaris reading/book signing tonight instead.

I was there, in the 5th row.

Program:

Cowboys Overture

Excerpts from Close Encounters

Harry Potter Suite (Hedwig's Theme, Nimbus 2000, Wondrous World)

Adventures on Earth

Intermission

Hooray For Hollywood (w/ video of a classic movie montage)

"Opening Chase" from Last Crusade (with the scene shown on the video sreen, without and then with live score)

The People's House from Lincoln

Star Wars Suite (Imperial March, Leia's Theme, Main Title)

Encores:

Schindler's List Theme

%

My post got cut off. Here is the rest of it:

Encores:

Schindler's List Theme

Olympic Spirit (with video montage of Olympic athletes)

Raiders March

Williams tripped and fell at the podium while waving goodbye to the crowd after playing the Raiders March, there was a collective audible gasp from the crowd. Williams was helped up, and when he was back on his feet and with a smile on his face raised his arms in the air - Superman style - and then got more applause.

Cool! How'd Lincoln sound?

I'd only heard this piece once or twice and don't own the soundtrack, but it sounded good to me.

Williams tripped and fell at the podium while waving goodbye to the crowd after playing the Raiders March, there was a collective audible gasp from the crowd. Williams was helped up, and when he was back on his feet and with a smile on his face raised his arms in the air - Superman style - and then got more applause.

Yikes! Glad he's ok!

Would love to hear that Star Wars suite. I've only heard him conduct the main title.

The Harry Potter suite I've seen was Hedwig's Theme / Fawkes the Phoenix / Harry's Wondrous World. Was Fawkes not performed?

Thanks for sharing! :)

Would love to hear that Star Wars suite. I've only heard him conduct the main title.

The Harry Potter suite I've seen was Hedwig's Theme / Fawkes the Phoenix / Harry's Wondrous World. Was Fawkes not performed?

Thanks for sharing! :)

No Fawkes, I would have preferred that instead of Nimbus 2000.

Yes! Especially remarkable for a 81 year old man. You think'd this would have been what he got up to 20 years ago after Jurassic Park and Schindler's List (when he was "only" in his 60s!)

I guess Williams is trying to support the causes that are near to his heart (orchestras and music education and young musicians) and also connect to his fans as much as possible through these concerts. And it is amazing that he is doing so ardently as he is at the age of 81. Commendable and makes you admire the man all the more. I guess his schedule permits more concerts these days as he is not doing 2-4 films/year like 10 years ago. It seems he is also focusing on writing music for his friends, his concertos and other pieces dedicated to these individual friends and talents.

I mean, I'm still like 2 hours away myself, but certainly close enough for me to have attended. Sounded like it was a great concert. I haven't seen the maestro since 2006 (?) when he was in New York with Spielberg and Scorsese.

I have JWFAN booked marked to come in through the main page as I do every site I visit.

This.

Ditto

• 2 weeks later...

Nice! Thank you for posting those comments karelm! :)