Star Trek Beyond (2016 Justin Lin) - The Big Bad Star Trek (X)III Thread

BLUMENKOHL

20 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

But you're worse than both!

Is that supposed to be a good insult? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What do ya'll think? The USS Franklin. Apparently 3 new ships are in this film.

Yeah even if the design doesn't suck, the whole style of art doesn't feel great.

Where's the sleek beauty of the Sovereign class?  Anything with some sort of relationship to the retro roots of the franchise.  That's Star Trek.  This still isn't, it seems.

It looks like an old ship, maybe from the Kelvin era. Sleekness isn't something I'd associate with ships from the TOS era anyway, alternate reality designs included.

Strange, I wouldn't consider the original Constitution class design from the 1960s as sleek, as in elegant or streamlined. Maybe the refit, definitely the Excelsior and Intrepid and Prometheus and Sovereign classes. 

I guess the Constitution's in the Original Series/Movies are sleeker compared to JJPrise.

As for that image above of the Franklin, all these ships having huge nacelles makes me think the designer has shortcomings.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Why the Hell Aren't We Hearing More About Star Trek Beyond?

Interesting article!

This movie is supposedly opening in 3 months, yet there isn't even a poster, we've only gotten a short teaser trailer 4 months ago, and Paramount completely ignored it at CinemaCon!

Well, to be honest, did Wrath of Khan keep anything established in The Motion Picture? We consider it a sequel, but isn't it also a second reboot that ignores the slow stodgy Wise movie and sets the stage for the vast franchise to follow? 

So Beyond is a second reboot that will get more movies going?

To be honest, 2009 and Into Darkness feel to me like the Thor movies, as if they didn't know what to do with the source material (The Force Awakens feels like a more solid remake of ST2009)

The hiring of Justin Lin tells me they're taking this one even further into being a straight up action movie than the first two. I hope I'm wrong.

Anyway as with most other diehard Trek fans I'm placing all my hopes for the future of this world in Bryan Fuller's hands.

It doesn't seem like Trek has managed to distinguish itself from the rest of the current blockbuster offer.

Not that I have something against an action Trek movie, it's more like the previous two were very dull, specially the second one.

13 minutes ago, Brónach said:

It doesn't seem like Trek has managed to distinguish itself from the rest of the current blockbuster offer.

Not that I have something against an action Trek movie, it's more like the previous two were very dull, specially the second one.

Yeah I don't have anything against a more action-oriented Trek either if they're able to balance it with the more thoughtful spirit at the heart of Star Trek (for me).  First Contact achieved this balance probably the best out of the first 10 movies.  It takes many cues from straight-up action movies of the 90s while retaining the core Trek spirit.

I still think '09 and Into Darkness were just dry runs for Force Awakens for Abrams.

6 hours ago, Jay said:

I think it will be better than the first two reboot films.

First one was okay.  Entertaining at least.  I have no desire to see this new one based on what I've seen thus far.

4 hours ago, Brónach said:

To be honest, 2009 and Into Darkness feel to me like the Thor movies, as if they didn't know what to do with the source material.

I feel that they didn't quite care about the source material, not really.  They needed a springboard to launch a sci-fi action franchise and they already had one.  A old, rusty, broken, springless springboard, but it was there nonetheless.  They threw some new parts at it, a new coat of paint, and opened it to a public that didn't exactly care about the source material either.

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

He didn't know Star Wars was returning in 2009.

I know that's what I'm saying. He'd always wanted to make Star Wars-like space opera, the real thing was unavailable, and Star Trek was what he could get his hands on, so he turned Trek into a space opera.

Pretty much. Which I thought worked pretty well for the 2009 film - it was certainly different, but the part of Star Trek I always cared most about was the characters, and I thought they nailed that. Into Darkness was just so-so, though, and the marketing for Beyond has not enticed me one bit.