Star Trek Beyond (2016 Justin Lin) - The Big Bad Star Trek (X)III Thread

BLUMENKOHL

2 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

I didn't think anything could kill my interest more than the revelation that Simon Pegg was writing this. 

What's wrong with Simon Pegg?  I think he would remain truer to the spirit of Star Trek than the writers of the previous two films.

2 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

What's wrong with Simon Pegg?  I think he would remain truer to the spirit of Star Trek than the writers of the previous two films.

I dislike everything about him except for Shaun of Dead. He's false as fuck, one dimensional, and full of shit.

42 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

I dislike everything about him except for Shaun of Dead. He's false as fuck, one dimensional, and full of shit.

He's one of the most charismatic comedic actors working today.  I also don't see anything "false" about him.  He has a no-bullshit attitude that I admire.  

On 6/27/2016 at 11:58 AM, Jay said:

Just saw the new trailer.  Frankly, I don't think this film looks very good, and I enjoyed the first two just fine (despite the massive plot problems of the second).

It just looks like a generic action flick with little Star Trek- ness to it, and it looks like more of the same ole type of action on top.  Looks like it retreads some aspects of the first two.

At least I have the score to look forward to.

Well, Giacchino said this film was more like classic Star Trek, so that's the type of score he'll be writing. Which would be awesome. 

Definitely would!

I hope this whole destroying the Enterprise (yet again) isn't too early in the movie so there can be a bit of spacing around first.

Can't do so much space exploration without a spaceship, after all.

The haters might quite like seeing this particular Enterprise being blown to bits though.

14 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

The new Star Trek from the director of The Fast and the Furious, featuring a new song by Rihanna.

Who the fuck are they marketing this to?

The idiots discussing it in this thread.

14 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

The new Star Trek from the director of The Fast and the Furious, featuring a new song by Rihanna.

Who the fuck are they marketing this to?

Well they tried marketing the films to Trek fans for decades and none have made as much money as the recent reboots. Marketing to the masses is just common sense. And the masses these days like fast things, explosions and pop songs combined. They can market it to Star Wars fans for all I care, as long as the film is good, then the Trek fans will be happy, and as long as they get the masses to pay for tickets, then the studio will be happy.

Rihanna sings about Chris Brown knocking her into a wall?

Holy spoiler alert TGP!  Not everyone is caught up on the show, you know!

"But what we wanted to do was to question the idea of the original vision of it. Gene Roddenberry's original idea of the Federation was like a UN in space. We wanted to ask whether it was a good thing or more like a colonising force."

wtf?

They already tackled that idea in DS9, a show unfortunately too heady for the casual Star Trek fans targeted by the Abramsverse. And too old. 

To be fair, by Deep Space Nine even the TV shows were starting to question Roddenberry's vision of the Federation as a benevolent force.

EDIT:

1 minute ago, WojinPA said:

They already tackled that idea in DS9, a show unfortunately too heady for the casual Star Trek fans targeted by the Abramsverse. And too old. 

Jinx! ;)

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Holy spoiler alert TGP!  Not everyone is caught up on the show, you know!

Hmm, true, but I figured more than a week might be fair play around the internet in general.  I dunno, oops!

Questioning it might be Ok. As long as the answer is very clear.

Yes, working together (in this case between several planets and species) towards a common goal (in this case space exploration) IS a good thing.

Always.

Working together like that may not always work out as you'd expect or even want.

But not even trying is worse than trying and failing.

And whenever it does work, it can lead to incredible results you would not believe possible.

You cannot always reach the perfection of that goal.

But that does not mean that goal is not worth pursuing.

I think the current world would do well to understand that message.

So if that is what this movie ends up saying, it would be a win for me!

@KK: Very much so. And I know that better than I would like to, having experienced the harsh truth of real life quite clearly over the past few years.

But it is an ideal to strive for that definitely should be worth it. People need a goal of some sort. So it might as well be a goal that brings the world forward. The fact that the world is admittedly quite sucky right now does not mean we should want it to stay that way.

That's not what I meant.

I know ST has always celebrated an optimistic view of the future. But if you're going to start an intelligent look at the role of what I assume is an UN-type organization, then I'd hope itd be willing to ask some hard questions in the process.

But I don't really know much about Trek, so I could be wrong.

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

If done right, it can make for an interesting story. But it's hardly the first time this has been done.

In the show perhaps? Not so much in films?

Karol

Every commercial I see on TV for this doesn't feature Anton Yelchin at all... is that on purpose?