Star Trek Beyond (2016 Justin Lin) - The Big Bad Star Trek (X)III Thread

BLUMENKOHL

Interview with Bryan Burke

TrekMovie article on it

The first real official word on the next film of the franchise.

Given that the Gene Roddenberry series debuted in 1966 and weve just had a huge Bond 50-year anniversary celebration has Paramount been talking to you about making a 2016 release date for the next Star Trek film?
"Were definitely talking about the next one, but we havent talked about a release date. We dont want to wait four years, the same amount of time between the last one and this one, but its going to be a big year to celebrate, hopefully."
So Bad Robot will still be able to balance working on both Star Trek and Star Wars?
"Yeah. Obviously theyre completely different universes, theyre completely different films. The only thing in common is the word Star, which is why were going to do the Ringo Starr movie as well. Well corner the market!"

Burks comments are very intriguing. We know that JJ Abrams is set to direct the next Star Wars movie, which will be coming out in 2015 two years after Star Trek Into Darkness. Two years is about the time it takes for a big film to go from development to release. The reason there was a four year gap between Abrams two Treks was due to other projects for himself and Burk (movies like Super 8, Mission Impossible IV, and TV shows like Revolution), as well as other projects for his collaborators (including Cowboys & Aliens for Lindelof, Orci and Kurtzman).

While in theory Paramount could probably get a new Star Trek movie out by 2015 (with a new director and possibly even without Burk and Abrams) it seems unlikely as that would end up going head to head with JJ Abrams Star Wars movie. Waiting until 2017 would give Abrams and his team plenty of time, including allowing JJ to start on the film after completing with Star Wars. But Burk says no one wants to wait four years again and 2016 has a historical significance.

The problem is that Summer 2016 is only a year after the release of Star Wars Episode VII. The only way to make that date would be for Abrams to start shooting the next Star Trek film during that same summer. That means finalizing pre-production on his Star Trek movie at the same time he would be finalizing post-production his Star Wars movie. And it was exactly that kind of overlap with the Star Trek sequel and Super 8 that got the Trek sequel (originally planned for Summer 2012) delayed in the first place.

The two mostly likely options for Bad Robot to get a Star Trek movie out in 2016 would be to bring in a new director (with Abrams and Burk producing) or to shoot for a holiday 2016 release with Abrams directing (and finding other ways to mitigate the Star Wars/Star Trek overlap of a few months).

An Abrams-directed Star Trek movie for summer 2016 is theoretically possible, but it would take a major effort on his part and likely require him to forego working on other projects besides Star Trek and Star Wars for the next three years.

For now we will have to just wait and see but Burks comments about not waiting for four years are promising.

I officially predict somebody else will direct Star Trek 13, and Abrams will direct Episode 8.

JJ doesn't love Star Trek, but he LOVES Star Wars. I expect once this film is out and he is done promoting it, he will pass the reigns on to someone else on his team and focus all his attention on Star Wars for the foreseeable future.

He'll probably have more involvement in the Star Wars spinoffs than he will in Star Trek 13

I officially predict somebody else will direct Star Trek 13, and Abrams will direct Episode 8.

JJ doesn't love Star Trek, but he LOVES Star Wars. I expect once this film is out and he is done promoting it, he will pass the reigns on to someone else on his team and focus all his attention on Star Wars for the foreseeable future.

That would seem appropriate.

• 1 month later...

Star Trek III(13 actually) will likely feature the Klingons prominently, and JJ Abrams won't be back(best news ever).

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/26988/klingons-returns-abrams-doesn-t-for-trek-3

I wonder what 1982 film JJ will steal from for Star Wars 7

of course the jj abram part is purely my opinion, a good and healthy one,

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/26988/klingons-returns-abrams-doesn-t-for-trek-3

JJ not being back is my opinion, he's the worst thing to happen to Star Trek

I wonder what 1982 film JJ will steal from this time for Star Wars 7.

Ah, interesting article.

As much as I enjoyed ST09 and will likely enjoy STID, I am FULLY onboard with bringing in a new director for the third entry. I do hope that Giacchino gets to return, though. And of course I'm glad the entire main cast is already signed on.

I hope in the third movie they actually get to do some exploration instead of just being in a face-off against a single villain the whole time.

I do not hope he returns. I hope he does his own thing,

I'll wait an judge him on STXII when I see it in person next week.

He gets a D for 2009.

ST movies don't have time to waste on exploration. That's why Star Trek needs to get back on TV where is works best.

I do agree that TV is better suited for small exploration stories, but I'm turned off by a series of movies that are only about Vulcans, Klingons, and facing off against a vengeance-fueled villain.

Bring something new to the table. A new race, a non-humanoid villain, a threat that isn't just about planets exploding or Earthlings dying. Maybe even a story without a villain! Maybe the Enterprise gets caught in a conflict between two other races, and there is no clear designation of which is "good" and which is "bad"? Maybe even the main Enterprise crew each sides with a different race for a different reason? Just spitballing here.

The galaxy (technically just Quadrant A) is a HUGE place, let's get a sense of that scale, and of galaxy-wide conflicts instead of just Earth-based stories.

I get what you're saying Jason, but to risk 200 million bucks on exploration without any sense of danger probably will never get greenlit. At the very least the Enterprise must be put at risk of destruction.

That's why I like my "Enterprise gets caught in the middle of two other planet's war" storyline. Maybe one of the sides wants to take over the Enterprise to win the war.

Maybe a twist in the third act reveals that some faction on Earth is secretly siding with one of the two worlds, because they were promised some sort of riches or something if they did, and they give that race some codes that enable them to take over the Enterprise or something.

That's why I like my "Enterprise gets caught in the middle of two other planet's war" storyline. Maybe one of the sides wants to take over the Enterprise to win the war.

Maybe a twist in the third act reveals that some faction on Earth is secretly siding with one of the two worlds, because they were promised some sort of riches or something if they did, and they give that race some codes that enable them to take over the Enterprise or something.

that's been done on TNG's episode Conundrum.

great episode btw.

you still came up with a great concept that worked in the past.

I suppose a storyline about the Federation at war with The Klingons could be interesting, but I hope it isn't all resolved and they become friends by the end of the movie. That shouldn't happen for decades yet where they are now (are they still not even up to where TOS season 1 started yet?)

I just hope they don't do something stupid like make one of the Klingons Warf's dad or something.

I get what you're saying Jason, but to risk 200 million bucks on exploration without any sense of danger probably will never get greenlit. At the very least the Enterprise must be put at risk of destruction.

Here's something I have never understood when talking to ST fans about ideas for Star Trek films.

Why does exploration imply "no danger"? Has a ST fan ever looked at actual exploration? There'a absolutely no contradiction between "exploration" and danger, adventure, action or drama.

True. They could be exploring some planet and that planet ends up attacking The Enterprise and almost destroying it. Maybe even all communication is lost and The Enterprise can't talk to Earth at all, and they have to use their wits and cleverness to repair the ship to leave the planet and get out of danger. Maybe Scotty is working on the engines while Uhura is talking to some peaceful natives who can help while Bones is tending to a antagonistic native who was injured while Chekov and Sulu and Spock are off doing something else, etc. And Kirk can be off banging some hot natives :P

Here's something I have never understood when talking to ST fans about ideas for Star Trek films.

Why does exploration imply "no danger"? Has a ST fan ever looked at actual exploration? There'a absolutely no contradiction between "exploration" and danger, adventure, action or drama.

I'm not looking at this from a Star Trek fan's perspective. I see exploration as Ian Malcom does. But I'm thinking as a business man in the film industry might. You know a rich retarded person.

...but then there's running... and... screaming...

not the Malcom quote I was thinking, think JP not LW.

I hope in the third movie they actually get to do some exploration instead of just being in a face-off against a single villain the whole time.

YES, YES, and YES! I always thought the Star Trek: Voyager concept was brilliant; lost in space, no contact with anyone and trying to get home.

Now THAT is some unknown right there. Of course it doesn't quite seem to live up to the potential, but maybe a movie could be made out of the idea?

• 2 months later...
According to Badass Digest, screenwriters Ashley Edward Miller and Zack Stentz (Thor, X-Men: First Class) are close to a done deal on penning the next Star Trek movie. Miller and Stentz are in the Bad Robot family from their work as writers and producers on Fringe, and their Trek bonafides are marginally boosted by their work on Andromeda, a series based on unused material by the late Gene Roddenberry.

http://collider.com/star-trek-3-new-writers-abrams-leaving-star-wars-episode-7/

Bring something new to the table. A new race, a non-humanoid villain, a threat that isn't just about planets exploding or Earthlings dying. Maybe even a story without a villain! Maybe the Enterprise gets caught in a conflict between two other races, and there is no clear designation of which is "good" and which is "bad"? Maybe even the main Enterprise crew each sides with a different race for a different reason? Just spitballing here.

Interestingly enough, the original TWOK, which still counts as both the role model for every villain based Trek movie and the pinnacle of the series, was at its heart about a much more serious/universal/abstract topic (the whole Kobayashi Maru/no win scenario/Tale of Two Cities layer). It's really one of the best scifi scripts there is.

I just hope they don't do something stupid like make one of the Klingons Warf's dad or something.

They already put Michael Dorn in The Undiscovered Country (the second best of the original cast movies), apparently as some relative of Worf.

I always thought the Star Trek: Voyager concept was brilliant; lost in space, no contact with anyone and trying to get home.

The idea was good, but it suffered from character-less characters and a severe reset universe policy. DS9 likewise came up with a radical concept, but its layered characters and thickly layer multi episode story arcs are what made it all work out.

I think Michael Dorn did play Worf's great grandfather who was also named Worf but as we know is "Colonel Worf" from what I've read via background history.

If I had the choice, I would have Abrams doing Star Trek instead of Star Wars. And I'm more looking forward to a new Star Trek score than Star Wars really. Star Trek I feel still has a beating heart. Star Wars ... not so much.

well it looks like Abrams might be about to drop out of Star Wars, which I would be so happy if he does.

well it looks like Abrams might be about to drop out of Star Wars.

No.

yes. maybe.

it also looks like Orci and Kurtzman won't be writing Star Trek 3, thank Christ,

Joe, currently bleeding like a stuck pig. Save the liver.

seriously it was squirting out, I pulled a hang nail and it must have been attached to a vein. It's stopped now but it was a 3 tissue mess.

right middle finger actually. My coworker walked in and was all OMG are you dying? It's actually funny.

• 2 weeks later...

Orci & Kurtzman are back to pen the script for Star Trek 3, sadly. (Lindelof isn't returning, so I guess we can be grateful for small favors.)

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/178647-alex-kurtzman-and-roberto-orci-to-return-for-next-star-trek-film

Also, Rupert Wyatt (Rise of the Planet of the Apes) is rumored to be the frontrunner to direct ST3.

Since Kahn was so early in this timeline, why not the Borg in the next one? I kid, I kid. But it wouldn't surprise me.

Orci & Kurtzman are back to pen the script for Star Trek 3, sadly. (Lindelof isn't returning, so I guess we can be grateful for small favors.)

LIndelof just did the rewrite for Into Darkness, those two did most of it. Unless they're just credited for characters used.

The Borg already appeared in Enterprise, which predates the alternate timeline shift. They would fit, but for the idea that the signal would take 70 some years to reach the Delta Quadrant, thus absolving Q of some of the blame for introducing Starfleet to the Borg. The Borg were on their way.

How about Q then? Let's sit back and watch how well the X-Men time bender does, and then maybe Star Trek can do some kind of timeline jumping story along the lines of the Q Squared novel: three timelines of the TNG show intersecting because Trelane is revealed to be an out of control immature Q. It would be a great way to get the TNG cast in on the fun.