A Thought about JW's Original Plan for AOTC Soundtrack

Saxman717

Hey all! This is just a thought I've been pondering all week and I want to see what you all think of it.

In track 9, Bounty Hunter's Pursuit, the Asteroid Chase music segues into the huge rendition of the Trade Federation army march from Episode 1. In the movie, however, this Trade Federation/Battle Droid march music was used during the big clone scene on Kamino.

I loved the way it was edited in the movie, it was really really cool, but the only thing that has been bothering me is that it is the theme for the trade federation/droid army, and they are far different from the clone army.

I am wondering if Track 9 is not edited.....that in the original score, JW scored the big battle droid/trade federation music part to back the scene when Obi Wan finds the conveyor belt on Geonosis. The music after the Asteroid Chase sounds mysterious and sneaky, just like the scene was with Obi Wan searching around Dooku's base........I wonder if Lucas thought the big droid theme at that point was too strong for the scene and switched things up....what do you think?

Also, we all know that the Finale had Imperial March music edited into it.....and wouldn't that music seem to fit, at least thematically, better with the Kamino clone scene?

Let me know what you think!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You'd think so, but the trade federation march doesn't synchs up with what's on screen. The battle music is still winding down unedited as the camera sweeps towards the federation starships. There's just not enough time for the music to play all the way through until the March, even if a small scene was cut. I confirmed it the last time I watched it.

which battle music? I was thinking that hte trade federation music fit with the first short glimpse of the conveyor belts where all the droids are being constructed. Is that what you're thinking of?

And does anybody else have idea/thoughts? Please respond!

Sorry, but track nine is definitely a composite of 2 cues. The split is at 1:28.

(0:00-1:28) is an edit of the asteroid field music, omitting 2 small sections.

(1:28-end) is the music from earlier in the film, covering Obi-Wan's tour of the cloning facility ending with the shots of the troops lining up. Just get out your bootleg and go to the Lake retreat scene. As soon as the transition music back to Kamino ends, start track#9 from 1:28 on and it will sync up perfectly. Or, just listen, and you can hear that entire cue in the movie.

Sorry, but JW definitely & purposely used that theme for that scene. There is always the possibility, of course, that GL made him use that theme even tho he didn't want to, but we will probably never find that out unless they give us a complete CD release.

-Jason

I loved the way it was edited in the movie, it was really really cool, but the only thing that has been bothering me is that it is the theme for the trade federation/droid army, and they are far different from the clone army.  

Not only was i going to post this,but you are correct,the Trade Federation theme has nothing to do with the clone army on Kamino.It fits the scene like a glove but i'm 100% sure that bit wasn't meant to go there.It might have gone in the Arena when the Trade Federation droids appear or something like that.

K.M.Having an Idea for an alternate thread.

K.M., read my reply, the trade federation march was 100% definitely intended to go over the shots of the clone troopers on Kamino. Theres no doubt about it.

Like I said, it is possible that George told John to use it even though John never would have, but we might never know for sure.

You are both trying to say that, by coincidence, the trade federation march got tacked onto the end of the "clone tour" music both on the cd and in the movie....... That would be one huge coincidence.

Sorry guys, but (1:28-end) of track#9 is definitely the music for the entire "Clone Tour / Clonetroopers" scene.

-Jason

A coincidence? Nooooo....what I am saying is this: That it was originally written by JW to be played during the first time Obi-Wan finds the conveyor belts constructing droids on Geonosis, and that either GL or some wacky sound editing guy thought...."hmmmm....we need a really big march for this scene.....oh, this is good music, I'll splice this in!...." when he was clueless to the fact that it was the theme for that army's enemy.

I do believe that the Imperial March music in track 13 lacks boldness and finality and that it definitely wasn't meant to be in that final scene(that is a fact, from posts about a month ago). I haven't had time to fully check it all out, but I did listen to both the track 9 march and track 13 march and the buildup to the trade federation march seems to be at the same tempo as the imperial march music in track 9....can anyone confirm that for me? And would anyone be interested in splicing together the buildup before the trade federation march with 1 of the 2 renditions of the imperial march played in track 13? The more I explore this, the more likely this seems that the music was switched up for some reason.....let me know what you guys find! I'll continue my little investigation after I get back from class (I hate summer session college :-P )

Get out track#9 and just LISTEN to it. (1:28-end) as an entire cue - there is no editing there. Its the music that starts in the film right after the Lake Retreat scene. The beginning of the Meadow Picnic cue is even supposed to overlap the last note of track#9!!

The music for Obi-Wan seeing the droids for the first time is already on the CD, in track#10.

Sorry, but there is seriously no denying this.........

-Jason

Not only was i going to post this,but you are correct,the Trade Federation theme has nothing to do with the clone army on Kamino.It fits the scene like a glove but i'm 100% sure that bit wasn't meant to go there.It might have gone in the Arena when the Trade Federation droids appear or something like that.

What are you talking about? Both armies are the emperors armies. In a sense, it's the same army.

What are you talking about? Both armies are the emperors armies. In a sense, it's the same army.

Palpatine only controls the clone army at the end of the movie using is new Supreme Chancellor powers after Yoda secretly borrowed the army .Those clones won't be so helpful to the Jedis in Ep3,you can bet on it.

K.m.

"And would anyone be interested in splicing together the buildup before the trade federation march with 1 of the 2 renditions of the imperial march played in track 13? "

That build up to the trade federation march is my favourite few seconds of music of the entire score.I even put a splice on my Minidisk recording and play that part and the trade march that follows over and over when it comes up.

And I too actually was wondering how that buildup music would sound pasted with The Imperial March after it.So I tried some editing with Minidisk on that too.,but somewhat it doesn't sound good...don't know much about music,but wrong key transition or rythm or something like that.

I still stand that music was meant to go somewhere else,perhaps as mentionned when Obi-Wan discovers the Conveyor Belt making Trade Federation Droids.

On the other hand,The Imperial March does go where it's supposed,but as we all know it's a re-score alternate and not the original cue Williams recorded.To me blaring out the fully developped Imperial March before there is a Darth Vader or an Empire was a serious mistake by Lucas,however good it "sounds".

K.M.