The Thomas Newman Thread

Jay

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So Thomas’ next project is John Madden’s World War II drama Operation Mincemeat, expected early next year. 

They collaborated previously on The Debt and both The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel films, the latter of which are some of my favourite scores from Newman in the past ten years. They really are lovely.

This new project will probably have more in common with 1917 perhaps? I don’t know. Newman often disappoints but occasionally provides something spectacular.

I’m not sure if the subject matter will offer much opportunity for the sort of thing we’d like to hear from him but DO look up the history of the subject matter… it’s one of the more bizarre yet successful moves from the Allies during the war that, admittedly, has been covered before but not on the big screen. Could be interesting.

Interview with Thomas Newman on Leo Maltin’s podcast:

https://maltinonmovies.libsyn.com/

This was really enjoyable to listen to, and occasionally very funny.

A very refreshing composer interview. The hosts aren’t just slathering him with praise… they coax some really good insights and stories out of him.

Thomas is so bloody humble and speaks so articulately about his craft… it makes me admire him even more.

• 2 months later...
On 24/09/2021 at 5:23 PM, Aenae said:

Austin Wintory talks about Thomas Newman in this video:

I loved listening to this. I love these episodes overall. 

I hope wintory does an “evolution of Zimmer” episode. I think that would really surprise Troy with some of his deep cuts (An Everlasting Piece, The Preachers Wife, etc) 

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been revisiting this gem. This cue (along with Prince Ruperts Drop, and the End Titles) is truly sublime. I know Newman’s style has evolved over the years and he’s synthesized his plunky/quirky style with his lush orchestral efforts. But boy do I want him to let rip with an entire score in this vein. It’s. So. Moving. 

50 minutes ago, WampaRat said:

I’ve been revisiting this gem. This cue (along with Prince Ruperts Drop, and the End Titles) is truly sublime. I know Newman’s style has evolved over the years and he’s synthesized his plunky/quirky style with his lush orchestral efforts. But boy do I want him to let rip with an entire score in this vein. It’s. So. Moving. 

Agreed. Amazing stuff. 

Yup. Known about it for years, but only properly listened to it a couple of years ago. Rocketed straight into the third place of alltime favourite Thomas Newman scores. I go into more detail here (in Norwegian).

21 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Thomas Newman (American Beauty, The Shawshank Redemption, 1917, Finding Nemo, Skyfall, Wall-E) has recently been recording his score for the upcoming drama White Bird: A Wonder Story.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2021/10/05/thomas-newman-scoring-marc-forsters-white-bird-a-wonder-story/

Very exciting project. He has a few upcoming now.

• 4 months later...

Channing Tatum's DOG drops this week but I can't find any news of a planned CD/digital release of Newman's score...?

By the sounds of this interview with co-director Reid Carolin there are a number of songs in the soundtrack and Newman's score plays a purely incidental role. Perhaps there isn't enough to warrant a release?

Great, another minimal, discrete Thomas Newman score, like last year's The Little Things. When are we going to see the return of the composer of emotional, beautiful scores like The Horse Whisperer, The Green Mile, Oscar and Lucinda, Little Women, etc.? I think the last one of this kind was Tolkien, and that was almost 3 years ago. :( 

For an emotional score you need an emotional movie!

One of his next works could be this movie: Empire of Light (by Sam Mendes).

I don't know what it is about.

39 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I don't know what it is about.

Described as a love story set in and around a beautiful old cinema on the South Coast of England in the 1980s. [IMDB]

There's also John Madden's Operation Mincemeat and Marc Forster's White Bird: A Wonder Story upcoming on Newman's roster, both of which are set during World War II.

12 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I love the way he makes atmospheric "high class" music.

He's not a kid playing with a computer, I mean he really compose.

You're right. I even enjoyed that little period after AMERICAN BEAUTY where he did pretty much nothing but low-key, atmos-driven scores for a few years (THE SALTON SEA, ERIN BROKOVICH, PAY IT FORWARD, WHITE OLEANDER). He's the guy you want for these sort of projects. One of the few who actually excels at it.

50 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I love his "recent" scores too, like 1917, Victoria & Abdul, Passengers...

All great, especially VICTORIA & ABDUL. In fact I love all of his South Asian flavoured scores. The two BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL scores and HE NAMED ME MALALA included.  

9 minutes ago, LSH said:

All great, especially VICTORIA & ABDUL. In fact I love all of his South Asian flavoured scores. The two BEST EXOTIC MARIGOLD HOTEL scores and HE NAMED ME MALALA included.  

I purchased Malala, didn't had time to really listen to it.

The two Marigold, even if I suspect it's music for very light movies (hehe)... are on my wishlist.

I think Newman has developped an expertise in oriental music over the years. That is nothing to be sneezed at.

6 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I purchased Malala, didn't had time to listen to it.

The two Marigold, even if I suspect it's music for very light movies (hehe)... are on my wishlist.

I think Newman has developped an expertise in oriental music!

I think the two MARIGOLD scores are gorgeous. Colourful, vibrant, serene, evocative stuff with some nice solos. The sort of scores you can imagine Newman really enjoyed working on, with all the exotic instruments and all. One of my favourite cues...

4 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Can you really "return" from WWII?

Philosophical question of the day.

Hey, stay on topic! This is the Thomas Newman thread!

Wait, two of Newman's upcoming scores are set during WWII. I guess you cannot. :blink:

Love all sides of Newman. The broad pastoral/Americana stuff, the quirky, the synth, the ethnic-infused, whatever. He can obviously be boring too. Last year's THE LITTLE THINGS, for example. But adored his Barry-esque LET THEM ALL TALK the year before.

10 hours ago, LSH said:

Hey, stay on topic! This is the Thomas Newman thread!

Wait, two of Newman's upcoming scores are set during WWII. I guess you cannot. :blink:

That's interesting, as we'll soon have WWIII. Will Newman score that?

31 minutes ago, Thor said:

But adored his Barry-esque LET THEM ALL TALK the year before.

What a tangent! If forced i would say there is an eclecticism present similar to 'Petulia' and 'The Knack', but apart from that i see virtually no similarity here.

1 minute ago, publicist said:

What a tangent! If forced i would say there is an eclecticism present similar to 'Petulia' and 'The Knack', but apart from that i see virtually no similarity here.

Yup, mainly those two, and mainly in the theme. Obviously, the rest of the score is rather different. But shorthands are always useful! ;)

39 minutes ago, Thor said:

.....or smooth jazz stylings.

Which many other artists also wrote, and nothing in Newman's really suggest Barry's, idiomatically. But i'm beating the dead horse here because i wish Newman had really written a Barryesque score. ;)

2 hours ago, publicist said:

Which many other artists also wrote, and nothing in Newman's really suggest Barry's, idiomatically. But i'm beating the dead horse here because i wish Newman had really written a Barryesque score. ;)

Meet Joe Black comes pretty darn close at times to a lush Barry-esque score. Particularly 4:05-End of “Whisper of A Thrill”. Boy id love another score from Newman in this vein.

Yes, I always find it interesting when he's channeling stuff that is somewhat outside his comfort zone or usual sound, whether it's the THE KNACK-like main theme of LET THEM ALL TALK, Golden Age-isms in THE GOOD GERMAN or straight-up traditional horror in cues like "The Bad Death of Eduard Delacroix" from THE GREEN MILE.

Yeah. His most interesting scores of late have been when he’s had to venture a bit outside his patented “quiet drama” sound. Tolkien was a great mix of that contemporary Newman sound with some great choral work.

Id love to hear a Thomas Newman super hero score. That would be fascinating (*noodly oboes play as an entire city is destroyed* 😉)That would stretch him. I suppose his Bond scores are as close as we’ll get. 

16 minutes ago, WampaRat said:

Meet Joe Black comes pretty darn close at times to a lush Barry-esque score. Particularly 4:05-End of “Whisper of A Thrill”. Boy id love another score from Newman in this vein.

Though i'd label that more as 'Horner corner'. Barry's writing may often be simplistic, but his choice of chords and voicings is so idiosyncratic that i you either *really* sound like him or not at all.

25 minutes ago, WampaRat said:

Id love to hear a Thomas Newman super hero score. That would be fascinating (*noodly oboes play as an entire city is destroyed* 😉)That would stretch him. I suppose his Bond scores are as close as we’ll get. 

It would probably sound like the action music from Passengers or Skyfall.

I'd love to hear him do a Western (I guess the closest he's gotten to that is THE HORSE WHISPERER), fantasy or another animation. Just something that requires prominent front seat music.