The Thomas Newman Thread

Jay

22 minutes ago, LSH said:

I'd love to hear him do a Western (I guess the closest he's gotten to that is THE HORSE WHISPERER), fantasy or another animation. Just something that requires prominent front seat music.

A western wouldn't be that far removed from the Americana-isms he does well in other circumstances, I think. But yes sure, why not?

How about a Thomas Newman pirate score? (How about anyone doing a proper pirate score?!) I think it’s a genre that could branch out from under the shadow of PoTC and shows like Black Sails. 

I don't normally get so aggy awaiting a release but I really want to hear his score for the recently released DOG. It has been mentioned favourably in a few film reviews....

Vanity Fair:

The great film composer Thomas Newman does invaluable work, his compositions gracefully leading us to pockets of feeling that would otherwise go unreached.

The Guardian:

...it looks and sounds the part (Thomas Newman score – check)...

The Playlist:

...Thomas Newman’s score is evocative, even if he’s riffing on familiar themes...

Tilt:

Gorgeous vistas across the Pacific Coast are accentuated by Thomas Newman’s plucky score...

MSB Reviews:

...Briggs and Lulu share emotionally impactful interactions that will generate a lot of smiles, a few laughs, and, who knows, a tear or two - Thomas Newman's fantastic score will surely cause that.

And the director made this weird albeit encouraging comment in an interview with BoxOfficePro:

We have a big score with Thomas Newman and an orchestra, really providing a sonic experience for everybody that’s going to be a lot better than watching it on your iPad or something.

:blink:

Just release the fucking thing.

I forgot to mention... 

I went to see DOG last week, ostensibly for date night, actually to hear Newman's score (since it's not getting a release).

I'm sad (but glad - given the no release thing) to report that the score is incredibly sparse and subtle. Given that it's a comedy/road movie, I was expecting a lot of the rhythmic side of Newman, montages with quirky plucked instruments and percussion... but these moments are covered with popular songs. From what I could hear (and trust me, I was listening), there are literally around five or six short cues and they are all pedal note synth with the occasional warm string wash. Think I heard a piano chord at one point.

So, definitely not worthy of a release even though I'd still like it, being a completist and all.   

• 3 weeks later...

Ah yes, I remember him mentioning a ballet as something upcoming in an interview some months back. I'm intrigued.

This is amazing! The Joffrey Ballet is a legacy institution and it's exciting to hear Newman working in those spaces. Hopefully it'll inspire him more than films have been lately.

• 2 weeks later...

Newman will score the next Dracula movie.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2022/04/12/thomas-newman-to-score-andre-ovredals-the-last-voyage-of-the-demeter/

Can't imagine how a TN horror score would sound like. Maybe like "The Bad Death of Edouard Delacroix" from The Green Mile?

13 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Can't imagine how a TN horror score would sound like.

I'm guessing a cross between Kilar's BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA, and Elfman's THE WOLFMAN, with a little bit of his own "yearning" signature, thrown in for good measure.

He'll probably avoid the out-and-out romanticism of JW, but will also avoid the harsher tonalities of composers such as Bernard.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

Daracula movies are not necessarily horror movies...these are usually rather romantic fantasy or action movies or even comedies.

Somehow, I don't think that THE LAST VOYAGE OF THE DEMETER is going to be a comedy :lol:

I really don't know what to expect from this. I'd like to think the production hasn't hired him based on his drony, sound-design stylings.

Personally, I'd like to hear something dark but with a tragic and quintessentially lush Newman theme.   

Usually those movies end with an AAH!-BAM!-scene.

Means, either the villain falls down from somewhere, a high building, a cliff, screaming "AAH!" and hits the ground with a BAM!.

Or he is liying or standing somewhere, looks up and sees something heavy falling towards him and he starts screaming "AAH!" until the heavy thing crashes on him with a "BAM!".

Either way, it's AAH!-BAM!.

• 2 weeks later...

Appears to be a mainstream showbiz journalist. I tend to steer clear of most composer interviews conducted by those guys (except maybe for Williams, since that's all he says yes to these days).

19 hours ago, Thor said:

Appears to be a mainstream showbiz journalist. I tend to steer clear of most composer interviews conducted by those guys (except maybe for Williams, since that's all he says yes to these days).

Jake really is one of the best there is. he will do a great job

A 'trailer' and a few little behind-the-scenes featurettes on the production of the Of Mice And Men ballet. The music in the background certainly sounds very Newman-esque from what I can make out. I really do hope we get to hear this recorded.

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/05/2022 at 11:45 PM, Stu said:

The best melody he's ever written

Yeah, that's lovely. Sounds effortless. Newman's so good at this shit.

The entire score I still consider to be his magnum opus but also the most 'complete' portfolio of his abilities; it features every single Newman-ism going.

1 minute ago, LSH said:

The entire score I still consider to be his magnum opus but also the most 'complete' portfolio of his abilities; it features every single Newman-ism going.

Agreed 100%, although Little Women is still my *favorite*.

Yavar

43 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Agreed 100%, although Little Women is still my *favorite*.

Yavar

Yeah, it's not my favourite either, nor my most-listened to... I just consider Angels In America to be the most accomplished and complete endeavour of the 'Thomas Newman sound' all in one single work.

I'd be hard pressed to choose a favourite but my most listened to are Josh And S.A.M., The Green Mile, The Horse Whisperer... and perhaps The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.

13 hours ago, Anthony said:

It's a little schizofrenic (most Newman albums are), but I've always found Lemony Snicket to be one of his absolute best.

Seconded.

I've mentioned it several times before, but I'd love an expansion, even though it wouldn't be too substantial (unless there's far more unreleased and alternate cues than there seems to be).

Some of the missing cues are really quite cool, plus the pit orchestra source cues would be really fun to have. Jim Self had a blast during the sessions for those it seems.

• 1 month later...

Can someone explain to me why Green Fried Tomatoes has not yet been reissued?

Is it a problem of rights or because they just forget it?

Trailer for White Bird: A Wonder Story...

Looks weird but seems like a good opportunity for Newman to pull on those heart-strings again.

• 4 weeks later...

Eric Whitacre included Thomas Newman's American Beauty film score album among his top 10 desert island discs: https://limelightmagazine.com.au/features/my-10-desert-island-discs-eric-whitacre/

"One of my favorite film scores. Haunting and heartbreakingly beautiful."

Oh and yeah, it seems like Newman is perhaps not scoring Sam Mendes's upcoming film Empire of Light, who might have gone with Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross instead:

But hopefully it was just temp-music as the film isn't finished yet, we will see. I hope that Newman will score this film and not Reznor & Ross...

On 03/07/2022 at 11:24 PM, LSH said:

Trailer for White Bird: A Wonder Story...

Looks weird but seems like a good opportunity for Newman to pull on those heart-strings again.

This was a really funny day to be on Twitter. The whiplash of the opening minute of that trailer is hilarious

20 hours ago, Aliandra said:

But hopefully it was just temp-music as the film isn't finished yet, we will see. I hope that Newman will score this film and not Reznor & Ross...

Given their strong relationship thus far it's perfectly plausible that Newman just had a schedule conflict. Don't be too quick to just assume Mendes has dumped his longtime collaborator.

• 4 weeks later...

Very sad news: Film Music Reporter has confirmed Reznor and Ross have scored the film. FMR has a 99+ percent accuracy rate.

https://filmmusicreporter.com/2022/08/23/trent-reznor-atticus-ross-scoring-sam-mendes-empire-of-light/ 

3 minutes ago, Drew said:

Very sad news: Film Music Reporter has confirmed Reznor and Ross have scored the film. FMR has a 99+ percent accuracy rate.

https://filmmusicreporter.com/2022/08/23/trent-reznor-atticus-ross-scoring-sam-mendes-empire-of-light/ 

That sucks. This movie would have been a good opportunity for Newman :/