• 2 months later...
  • Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

All of those are superb but, in my opinion, his magnum opus is ANGELS IN AMERICA (2003).   Probably the best mix of his different styles (the dissonant, the 'quirky' rhythmic, and the pierci

I haven't gotten around to Skyfall yet, but I've always loved Finding Nemo, WALL-E, and A Series of Unfortunate Events. There's just so much style and heart in those 3 scores. ASOUE in particular is j

It was the world premiere of Skyfall in concert at the Royal Albert Hall this evening and the audience was treated to two Newmans (or should I say Newmen?) for the price of one.  The score was conduct

• 1 month later...

So Thomas’ next project is John Madden’s World War II drama Operation Mincemeat, expected early next year. 

They collaborated previously on The Debt and both The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel films, the latter of which are some of my favourite scores from Newman in the past ten years. They really are lovely.

This new project will probably have more in common with 1917 perhaps? I don’t know. Newman often disappoints but occasionally provides something spectacular.

I’m not sure if the subject matter will offer much opportunity for the sort of thing we’d like to hear from him but DO look up the history of the subject matter… it’s one of the more bizarre yet successful moves from the Allies during the war that, admittedly, has been covered before but not on the big screen. Could be interesting.

Interview with Thomas Newman on Leo Maltin’s podcast:

https://maltinonmovies.libsyn.com/

This was really enjoyable to listen to, and occasionally very funny.

A very refreshing composer interview. The hosts aren’t just slathering him with praise… they coax some really good insights and stories out of him.

Thomas is so bloody humble and speaks so articulately about his craft… it makes me admire him even more.