Michael Giacchino's Star Trek Into Darkness

Jay

• 9 months later...

From Giacchino's Twitter feed today:

Happy Birthday Star Trek... I will celebrate by commencing the writing of the next film's score.

• 2 months later...

9-Minute Star Trek Into Darkness Preview To Debut in IMAX 3D with Hobbit Movie

I assume this means Giacchino has already been working on the score. I wonder if the opening 9 minutes will feature any new themes that will play throughout the film

I would imagine so, when I talked to him in May he told my wife and I that he was going be officially offered the job in June / July and then get to work on it.

My little squee fanboy moment.

I think I will make plans to see The Hobbit in IMAX 3D for sure. I am excited for the film, but am more excited for the score. Especially if the opening 9 minutes is a great pre-credits sequence of James Bond / Indiana Jones style, there should be some great action material. I like his Star Trek style action material more than his LOST style.

I wonder if Benedict Cumberbach's character will appear in the opening 9 minutes. If so we might get to hear a good Giacchino villain theme.

I assume this means Giacchino has already been working on the score. I wonder if the opening 9 minutes will feature any new themes that will play throughout the film

I thought you'd be following Giacchino on Twitter. He's tweeted pics of the sheet music at what I imagine are the sessions.

That's a phrase of Giacchino's Star Trek theme in the usual "Enterprising Young Men" orchestration, so those hoping to see a few seconds of new music will be disappointed. :P

• 3 weeks later...

According to a report over at http://www.aintitcool.com/node/59938 Michael Giacchino directly quotes James Horner's Wrath of Khan score in the new Star Trek Into Darkness film.

Are we certain it's Wrath of Khan? It could also be Titanic, Braveheart, Apollo 13, Casper, Jumanji, Star Trek III, or Krull.

sorta like Jerry Goldsmith's Alien, STTMP, Poltergeist, Gremlins, Twilight Zone all have similar moments, or that John Williams Earthquake, Towering Inferno, Jaws, Midways, Star Wars, Close Encounters, Jaws 2, Superman all have similar moments?

It's been part of my collection since the latter part of the 70's. I always liked it, but didn't like the movie.

Well according to this article Giacchino did not intentionally quote Khan's theme, and hasn't even read the script yet or seen a rough cut of the whole film. Seems strange to score the first 9 minutes of it in a bubble, but I'm sure it's been done before.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2012/12/11/star-trek-into-darkness-revelations

Warning: the article also reveals the name of Alice Eve's character (and Cumberbach's if you didn't read Blume's post)

Yeah, I suspected that something like that would be the case. I'm guessing we've got a case of trilling horns that were mistaken for Khan's theme.

As for scoring the first nine minutes without a script or rough cut, it is odd, but it could work if this is sort of an Indiana Jones [semi-]disconnected opening adventure. They probably knew they wanted to have this ready, and if little to no thematic material is set up with it, it likely just gave Giacchino a chance to get back into that world, maybe start playing around with his theme and/or the TOS theme again, and get the juices flowing. IF there is any need for a thematic connect other than that, I suspect Abrams has at least filled him in on what would be pertinent in that capacity.

Well according to this article Giacchino did not intentionally quote Khan's theme, and hasn't even read the script yet or seen a rough cut of the whole film. Seems strange to score the first 9 minutes of it in a bubble, but I'm sure it's been done before.

http://m.ign.com/art...ess-revelations

Well that's how Michael scored Lost. He would do reactive scoring in a bubble. He'd watch a scene...decide how he felt emotionally and wrote it musically.

it would be awesome if he (MG) could write a score for this film that has all the power that Horner's Wrath of Khan score had!

Warning: the article also reveals the name of Alice Eve's character (and Cumberbach's if you didn't read Blume's post)

Oh piss on that. Big copious amounts of donkey piss. That's terrible. So it's her, but with Elizabeth Dehner's haircut. Terrible. I hate being this wrong.

And yet,

it's almost as if the screenwriters want to show that, true to Spock Prime's intention in the reboot, the timeline wants to "correct" itself. While Kirk's father died earlier than he should have, which sent Kirk's career into a downard spiral, Pike (unknowingly) and Spock Prime (deliberately) were still able to influence Kirk enough that he became captain. Destiny? The Force? Convenient writing? Call it what you will. So while David Marcus was conceived in the "Prime" timeline, it's possible that his birth is still "supposed to happen" in this alternate reality, giving him some part to play in the far future, and so his mother Carol is introduced.

Or, like Amanda Grayson before her, she'll be killed off here long before she gets to play the main role of her "prime" counterpart. Amanda Prime's main role in the classic film series was to nurture Spock's awakening humanity after his death and rebirth. Since Amanda in this timeline is dead, if Spock were to die and be reborn again, his humanity may never come back, unless Uhura plays that part now. Of course, this new Spock should not have to be killed off; Spock Prime was killed off because Leonard Nimoy wanted to kill off the character once and for all, before having a change of heart. Carol may be introduced but do something totally different from giving birth to Kirk's son.

Also, no mention of Peter Weller yet, either. Interesting.

What would you prefer? Call Nimoy's Spock "Spock" and then call Quinto's Spock "Fake Spock?" You'd then need the "Fake" title in front of everyone else's name.

Good morning, Fake Jim.

Hello, Fake Bones. Care to have a drink of tea with Fake Uhura?

<slap> How dare you?! These are real!

• 1 month later...

Can't say I was too impressed by that sample.

Sounds more like ROAD TREK.

:lol:

Giacchino is in a arpeggio-philip-glass style these days (well ok for at least 3-4 years now)

I wouldn't phrase it like that, but I understand where you're getting at.

Not to impressed with that sample... I'm hoping Giacchino's sequel score will be as good as the first one, we'll soon find out.

Oh God no, I'm hoping that this one will actually be good. I'm still hoping for at least a Search For Spock quality, and wishing for Wrath of Khan quality.

Don't forget he also did this without seeing any of the rest of the film. He didn't have a sense of the picture as a whole. That could have a huge impact on the "real" score.