Michael Giacchino's Star Trek Into Darkness

Jay

why is the score release nearly 2 weeks after the film release, that's kind of weird.

Anyone notice that for his official concert suite track, Star Trek Main Theme, Giacchino has added notes to his theme?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCI0I28HqfQ

From 1:06 to 1:26, he has added a new passage it seems to solidify the theme as a stand alone theme rather than as a motif because in its previous version (likely Enterprising Young Men), the Star Trek theme itself was a motif and wasn't being performed on its own, it segued into Spock's theme. Now with its own secondary passage, it a stand alone "theme" so to say and can be performed as a concert suite.

I might be wrong but seems that way to me.

Ordered the album from Colosseum. It seems like it's coming out a week early in Germany. Given that the company is the official distributor of Varese Sarabande in Europe I'd say it's valid.

Karol

Yup that's right out of the end credits from 09

Yup, its just the mixing that is throwing him off I think.

Colosseum now confirmed that there will be one additional song on the digital release - a different song for different countries. Which seems to rule out the long concert track. Or not. Release date tbd (which seems quite odd with the movie in cinema since thursday last week).

I found it (why is it so hard for others to copy and paste the URL they are on when they see these things?)

Now it's official. The digital album will contain an additional song. Depending on the territory is another song in there. Release date is not yet clear final.

http://www.soundtrack-board.de/topic/10829-varèse-sarabande-michael-giacchino-star-trek-into-darkness/?p=297271

I found it (why is it so hard for others to copy and paste the URL they are on when they see these things?)

Not to be Captain Obvious or anything but I think your obsession with this issue has turned it into a sport of sorts on the forum. ;)

Has anyone who's seen the film have any idea what this "international song" business is all about?

Is there music in the film that isn't Giacchino score? With vocals?

I thought it was established that its source music and depending on which language the film is dubbed for the showing in that particular country, that's what version you will get.

The first news I posted about it indicated it was for a scene with Scotty.

Likely when he sneaks on board another vessel, and probably blasts some of his own music (so source music)

Makes sense.

Well hopefully someone who's seen the film can tell us instead of us three Americans guessing at it

I thought part of your question was answered in one the interviews you linked with Australian group doing the song.

Maybe I wasn't clear, I was hoping somebody could tell us what the song sounds like, if they enjoyed it, etc.

Sounds like there's just one scene with one source song and depending on the country, you get a different one. Sounds like a dumb idea to me. Hopefully somebody will share their thoughts on it!

Kinda glad the physical CD won't have these on it, but I do with it had Ode To Harrison, which I now doubt will show up as a digital download anywhere.

Oh I'm sure it will be on the eventual Deluxe Edition but I want it now :pout:

Damnit I have to resist the urge....... Must not.... Double..... Buy......

Buy it. Then wait for the Deluxe Edition for a physical release. No point having a crappy, delayed, mass produced physical disc if there's a deluxe one coming.

That's what I'm doing.

Bought what I could with remaining $5 from my US store credit (I'm in the UK), that's everything I don't have from radio sources apart from Buying The Space Farm/Kirk Enterprises. Really hope for a Deluxe release.

Here is more information about the US iTunes bonus track, courtesy of the iTunes PDF

growlp.jpg

I hear some ST-II/III esque music in this score, Brigadoom's opening.

Worst. Bonus. Track. Ever.

Worlds Worst Bonus Track ;)

OK, just finished listening to the OST (much earlier that I expected). Having seen the movie a few times now, there is obviously a lot of great music omitted from the album but that isn't a surprise given its running time. The opening scene in the native planet runs for about 10 minutes, so the opening three tracks are microedited. I believe the cool statement of Spock's theme as he

stretches his arms waiting for death

is missing.

Also, the scene immediately before the

London explosion

featuring the London Calling theme on flutes or piccolos followed by one of the suspense motifs is also missing, which is a pity as it was a standout cue for me.

Also of note is a brand new theme which I think represents the dark side of Starfleet. It features prominately in the movie in many guises but it almost entirely absent from the OST. A sombre rendition appears at 0:48 of Brigadoom.

As for the music that is on the OST, it is very good but a slight drop in quality from the previous score (just like the movie). Ship to Ship and San Fran Hustle (go Spock's theme!!) are great action cues, and the London Calling track is outstanding. I also like all the music from the opening scenes and I can hear three different musical identities for John Harrison and his plot. I like the soundscape of Earthbound and Down because it really brings back memories of that scene. However, as great as some of the music is, it seem to be lacking a more expansive orchestration at times, especially in the woodwinds. To my ears, they only appear very occasionally in San Fran Hustle. Sub Prime Directive is also crying out for some woodwind decoration.

However, the short album feels like just a taster for the expanded deluxe release whenever that comes. It doesn't knock James The Giant Slayer off its place as my favourite score of the year so far, and I suspect a few other scores this year will be of higher quality (Hobbit, Percy Jackson, perhaps After Earth) but it is still a great entertaining score.

I love the Amok Time cameo too

I posted my initial review in the Reviews Section

Excerpt:

Let's get to it, shall we? Does this top John Carter (my favorite Giacchino score)? Not by a long shot. That score remains in another league of sci-fi scores, rubbing elbows with some of the greats. Does this top Star Trek (2009)? Yes, because it takes the best of that ultimately good but not knock your socks off score and evolves them into something more mature and musically a little more interesting. On top of that the quality increase over 2009 is aided by a much more full bodied mix courtesy of Joel Iwataki. For the first time in a long time, Michael's army of percussion instruments actually sound alive.

We've already heard and seen the scene for the bonus track I believe, it's in the Scotty character profile video.

It sounds familiar and it is awful.

Managed to finally get the rest of the album, save for that bonus track...have my 128k MP3 of Ode to Harrison there instead :)

So...Deluxe Version please?

James the Giant Slayer? Slayer of peaches maybe...

ROTFLMAO

You're expecting that much from the Percy Jackson 2 score?

Well, Lockington's score for Journey 2: The Mysterious Island was really good old fashioned fun. If he can replicate that for Percy Jackson, it could be great.