Michael Giacchino's Star Trek Into Darkness

Jay

OK, having seen the film now, I can say this with NO question: This is a very, VERY good score!

I disagree with others who say the OST is a better representation of the score than the first. I sat there in the theater hearing cue after cue that was INCREDIBLY good and wasn't on the OST!!

No, no Jason. This is not what I was saying. I meant that this 44-minute album is better than 2009 album.

Karol

2009 had almost all the major highlights, it was missing the original cue for the opening, Kirk and Bones Spaceshuttle, Nero Death Experience (Alt) and Hangar Management (not to mention the Film version of Hella Bar Talk) and I think thats it, the rest is just "padding"

The 2009 album left off the middle of the film.

Jehosafats or Chutes and Ladders could have easily been added to the album.

OK, having seen the film now, I can say this with NO question: This is a very, VERY good score!

I disagree with others who say the OST is a better representation of the score than the first. I sat there in the theater hearing cue after cue that was INCREDIBLY good and wasn't on the OST!!

No, no Jason. This is not what I was saying. I meant that this 44-minute album is better than 2009 album.

Karol

I'd have to think about that, but you're probably right. It's not missing essential tracks on the level of Hanger Management, Chutes and Matter, etc

^^^ I typed the above 7 1/2 hours ago, for some reason it was sitting in my phone unsent until now.

It will come as a surprise to some including myself that I enjoyed the score of this film. Dave and I decided to download the score for our trip to St. Louis. We'll listen again going home. We enjoyed it more than the first.

Finally regarding the prologue, Spock Falls, Kirk Jumps starts immediately when Pranking the Natives ends. It could have been a single track on the OST.

So, if we wanted to edit them together, where exactly do you remember the edit taking place? Do you hear the timpani hit a the beginning of "Spock Falls, Kirk Jumps" in the film or does it blend in with the big ending of "Pranking the Natives"?

I'd have to think about that, but you're probably right. It's not missing essential tracks on the level of Hanger Management, Chutes and Matter, etc

It's not missing large setpieces, but as Jason suggests it is missing much of the connective tissue that holds everything together. In no way is the album a cohesive listening experience or a rounded presentation of the score.

I agree with Jim. Too much from the middle of the film is missing for the OST to be considered an acceptable summarization of the score. To be fair, I don't know if it's possible to do in 45 minutes, though.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that Harrison's Theme goes through many cool variations in the film that aren't on the OST or even in Ode To Harrison.

Speaking of this score...call me a sucker for John Barry's OHMSS and "A View to A Kill" simple action motif...

But god, I can't stop loving its transposed cousin under the action in "Pranking the Natives" around 2:13.

I wonder if that was a nod on purpose? Or is it just so great and simple that everyone scoring a chase scene uses it? ;)

Saw the film again yesterday. The score is fantastic and even better than 2009's effort which I also really liked. It's a real shame that what I think is Giacchino's theme for Starfleet itself (both the positive and darker sides of it) is all but absent from the album. I almost felt this new theme had a slight Starship Troopers vibe to it during it's bigger and more militaristic moments. I'm also really missing the Enterprise's underwater reveal and departure from star base.

Look what I found at Best Buy today for $11.99. I cancelled my Varese order.

IMG_0351_zps03978aa1.jpg

They had a few other copies, I did a check of Best Buys in Texas, some had them available, some don't show any.

Oh I thought you meant my actual bookmark tab at the very top of my screen.

No I don't clutter up my bar with stuff.

You have two/three bookmarks! And one of them is "Getting Started"!

Feels so wrong, but that's also the first thing I noticed :lol:

Also, anyone else find it odd that this (and many other covers) say 'music' twice? Why not 'Composed by xxx' instead?

On topic, I've listened to a few tracks on the album, and Brigadoom is the only one I liked. Didn't much like the John Harrison track from that radio thing, but regardless, playing a cue that isn't for sale is really bad form.

Going to Best Buy tomorrow to pick up a copy, does anyone know where I can buy download the 2009 Deluxe Edition soundtrack? I want the discs but I'm not paying $100 for it (ridiculous).

Thanks!

Chad

I just got back from seeing the film and my friends and I unanimously loved it! Solid plot, characters, and score. In fact, I liked it much better than the first version...but, on the negative side: there is no doubt about it, even though Giacchino is a solid composer, in some ways he lacks the musical intellect and inventiveness of the greats...Goldsmith, Goldenthal, Horner and thus Williams.

It really just needs a strong secondary main theme. The rest is very good.

True but also the fact that JW has the greatest underscore. During the action scenes, Giacchiano does a fine job, but when characters are talking or propelling the drama, no one is as solid as JW.

Wow Mark O that is crazy - not only reasonably priced, but BEFORE the release date as well. insane!

I got it for less than that - $11.88 at Amazon - and it already shipped and will be on my doorstop tomorrow or Tuesday

This score IS very good. Still can't decide if it I like it more or equal to the first score (which I sadly missed out on it's Deluxe Edition... maybe Varese will be nice and reissue it when they eventually do it for this film?). Btw, who here REALLY loved the first two minutes of "Kronos Wartet"? I thought it was a really fun rush of music that was very catchy and memorable to me. The combination of the Klingon choir and the catchy theme itself was awesome! I really wanted that particular segment of music to go on longer or show up again elsewhere in the film! I think that may be one of the reasons I'd want a third film now to involve Klingons chasing after them or other warfare if it means bringing those elements back! :)

BTW, this guitar based cue used in the IMAX preview version of the first London scene is not in the final film at all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nqDhqJfUcY

it was completely replaced by "London Calling"

Woaw! Nice find Jason, that's very interesting to hear! I also heard somewhere that in the IMAX preview there was supposed to be a scene with Harrison before the "Pranking The Natives" sequence, but I don't know if it was this scene or an entirely new scene that got cut (It would explain why The logos are "1M1" and Pranking The Natives, is "1M3" though)

The scene that opened up the imax preview now is shown after the cold open and opening titles. The music for the scene now uses "London Calling" instead of this.

The opening action scene & the London hospital scene were switched in the preview.

Dare I say it I prefer the guitar cue to the final one. I hope if there is a special edition it gets included. It sounds more Giacchino-y.

As do I. The theme in that cue sounds better than the generic John Carter-leftover tinkering in "London Calling".

I hope the eventual blu ray features the entire IMAX preview in the bonus features, and I hope Varese Deluxe Edition CD if there is one contains all the IMAX preview score cues at the end of the second disc.

I think you've both gone off the deep end.

The original sounds way too mechanical, like it was punched out to a metronome. Its only saving grace is the brass in the middle.

I can see where you're coming from and I agree that it does sound a little mechanical. But I prefer that theme over what we got with "London Calling". The cue doesn't even sound like Giacchino tried.

He basically took the harmonies/chord progression from some of the John Carter material and set it as broken chords on the piano. And the "melody" was just a little tune that skirts around those chords.

A good/great theme sounds like it was written first and harmonized later. "London Calling" was clearly written the other way around. The result? Might sound pleasing to the ears but it sure as hell sounds generic.

Wasn't Giacchino asked to change his music for those scenes?

Well that depends. There are a lot of amateur composers who craft themes based on certain chord progressions, and the product often sounds quite generic (like Zimmer and his clones). It's what diffrentiates a classic John Williams theme from something by Ramin Djawadi. I don't count Giacchino among that group of course. And again, simplicity has nothing do with as themes as simple as two notes have made history ;)

But you can tell London Calling sounds half-assed. It's pleasing on a superficial level. Giacchino's written and still writes better themes than that (like the original version). It really doesn't sound like there was much thought put into it. Maybe the cue may be the result of some last-minute restraints or something. To me, it sounds like Giacchino had to come up with something quick and just hashed it out on the piano.

OK, I just listened to the IMAX version again... (though I reposted it this morning, I hadn't heard it in months).....

Goddamn, that's a great cue too. Both versions are really good! Now I don't know which one I like more!

I think I like the melody of the IMAX version more....

But D minor makes everything sound so EPIC!!!!

I normally like my epicness in major.

But you can tell London Calling sounds half-assed. It's pleasing on a superficial level. Giacchino's written and still writes better themes than that (like the original version). It really doesn't sound like there was much thought put into it. Maybe the cue may be the result of some last-minute restraints or something. To me, it sounds like Giacchino had to come up with something quick and just hashed it out on the piano.

What is the original version of London Calling?

I like the theme there, he could have used it a bit more over the piano, but the cue ends so quickly so basically forget about it. I also like the slight synthy touch.

And these four notes at the end? For a moment I thought this was Super 8 again.

What is the original version of London Calling?

The youtube video we've been talking about this whole page.

I think I like the melody of the IMAX version more....

That's right Jason...you're seeing the light now. Just keep following it!

Aaah

I remember thinking the short unfinished melody of the IMAX prevew reminded me of something else. I prefer the little theme of the final version even though Giacchino seems to favour these arpeggios instead :huh: