Michael Giacchino's Star Trek Into Darkness

Jay

When it was sold on the Varese Sarabande website, was the Deluxe Edition available for anyone to purchase, or did you have to be a club member?

It's just an intangible gut feeling because the movie doesn't seem to do well.

I thought that the movie would've done a lot better than it is... But if Fringe: Season 5 can get a release, even with a dwindling fan base, I think this can get a Deluxe Edition...hopefully.

Anyone could purchase it. Anyone can purchase Varese's club releases.

Ah, okay. I bought the 2009 Deluxe Edition off of eBay long after it had sold out on Varese's site, so I wasn't sure what it was like buying it directly from Varese. Thanks!

London Calling is way too short for me to be considered a major highlight. If it was developed a bit further ....

Add to the album "Ode To Harrison" and the real end credits, and I'd call it a fantastic album.

Sorry, I haven't been keeping up with this thread, but did anyone make an analysis/review of the soundtrack? I just got it and saw the film but I'd love to know where each theme pops up.

None that I know of

The only new theme on the OST is Harrison's Theme, plus one statement of Marcus's Theme. The rest is all themes from 2009 score.

What's Harrison's theme?

Is the London Calling theme that piano that I heard?

I feel bad for not catching all the themes when I watched it. I'm not even sure I remember each time the Main Theme is played besides the opening and end..

None that I know of

The only new theme on the OST is Harrison's Theme, plus one statement of Marcus's Theme. The rest is all themes from 2009 score.

The Klingons have a theme, don't they? I think it's the six notes in 1:36 - 1:45 of The Kronos Wartet that appear throughout that song. Does that count as a theme?

None that I know of

The Klingons have a theme, don't they? I think it's the six notes in 1:36 - 1:45 of The Kronos Wartet that appear throughout that song. Does that count as a theme?

Where's the stake?

What's Harrison's theme?

Is the London Calling theme that piano that I heard?

I feel bad for not catching all the themes when I watched it. I'm not even sure I remember each time the Main Theme is played besides the opening and end..

There is a concert arrangement of Harrison's Theme available for your listening pleasure here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHdZZGNs6IE

The piano medley used in London Calling does appear in another cue, but it's hardly worth worrying about because it's only used in those 2 cues in total, and one one of them is on the OST

None that I know of

Yes you are absolutely correct, there is a theme for the Klingons, but like the London Calling theme is only appears in one track on the OST, and one unreleased cue, so it's not worth worrying over much.

Harrison's Theme and Marcus's Theme are the only MAJOR new themes (that play over a dozen times throughout the whole score). Other than that, the themes used most often in the STID score are 09 themes. The Main theme, Enterprise Theme, Spock Theme, Vulcan Theme, and B Theme all return.

Woah, can I have time stamps for some of those? I'm curious about Marcus's theme.

I only saw Star Trek once as well and don't own the soundtrack for that, but I just may get it for all these themes.

None that I know of

Where's the stake?

What would you call it?

Woah, can I have time stamps for some of those? I'm curious about Marcus's theme.

I only saw Star Trek once as well and don't own the soundtrack for that, but I just may get it for all these themes.

Well Marcus's Theme unfortunately only appears on the OST CD ONE time (even though it's THE major new theme of the score) - it appears at 0:48 of Brigadoom, and it's not a particularly impressive rendition of it (it gets much meatier renditions in other cues in the film).

I'm sure you can figure out on your own what the Main Theme is ;)

The Enterprise Theme plays at 1:54 of Pranking The Natives, 0:12 and 1:01 of Sub Prime Directive, etc

Spock's Theme plays at 2:51 of Pranking The Natives, 0:15 of Spock Drops, 0:08 of The San Fran Hustle, etc etc

The Vulcan Theme doesn't appears on the STID OST, but it's used in the film when Spock talks to Spock Prime (or was it when Spock talks about the destruction of Vulcan? Or was it both?)

The B Theme appears at 0:40 of Sub Prime Directive

If you ever get your hands on the ST09 OST or DE, you can use this guide the find the themes there:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17627

Note that in that post, The Enterprise Theme is referred to as the Cadet's Theme

The string call-and-response version of the theme in Sub Prime Directive is stuck in my head for over a week now.

An incredibly catchy theme.

Is it me or does the Main Theme sound like Roar! From Cloverfield?

Definitely just you...they sound NOTHING a like...

The string call-and-response version of the theme in Sub Prime Directive is stuck in my head for over a week now.

An incredibly catchy theme.

Ya it's a great cue.

The whole score is pretty good. I just wished they had added "Ode To Harrison" and the End Credits.

Pictures from the recording sessions!

http://www.scoringsessions.com/news/254/

Hmmm, can anyone read the cue title on 7m45 picture here?

http://www.scoringsessions.com/sessions/image/24538/dsc_0266.jpg

Wow, Andrea Datzman is a hottie!

Pictures from the recording sessions!

http://www.scoringsessions.com/news/254/

Hmmm, can anyone read the cue title on 7m45 picture here?

http://www.scoringsessions.com/sessions/image/24538/dsc_0266.jpg

Wow, Andrea Datzman is a hottie!

Nice find Jason!

I can't seem to make it out, which is unfortunate because it might help me add more to my Slate to Cue List Analysis, but the top says HH Project, the title though... Ehhhh. The image simply isn't big enough!

However, I did manage to see:

4M3(30 something)---- "Harrison ---- On -----"

EDIT:

And to repost this, here's my list of Slates I know of so far along with some official titles/descriptions for each cue:

Things in "" are official cue titles. Things in [] is info not for sure of. Things in () Describes where the cue occurs.

1M01 v3 "Logos" 0:55

1M03 v3 "Pranking The Natives" 1:55

[1M04] v2 "HH Prologue Part 2 - v2: Spock Slides Down, Kirk Jumps Off"

[1M05] (Dive/Enterprise Reveal)

[1M06] (Spock In The Volcano, If He Were Here, Spock Prepares for Death)

1M06 v3 INS 0:25

1M07-8 v4 "Sub Prime Directive" 2:31

1M09 v3 "London Calling" 2:04

XMXXS "Body Moving' (Fat Boy Slim Remix)" - Beastie Boys

2M10 v4 (Not Ready For The Chair) 0:51

2M11 v4 (London Calling Reprise, Harrison, London Explosion) 2:27

2M12S "Everybody Wants to Go To Heaven" - Albert King

2M13 v4 (Emergency Session) 0:37

2M14 v4 (One Man War, Why The Archive?, Just The Beginning) 2:21

2M15 v4 "Man Vs. Blaster" 1:56

2M16 v4 "Meld-Merized" 2:36 (OST Version is An Alternate Version, Film is different)

3M19 v3 (Harrison is On Kronos, Section 31, The Plan) 3:20

3M20 v4 (Shuttle Lift Off) 0:41

3M21 v4 (Scotty Resigns) 0:52

3M22 v4 (Enterprise Warps Off) 0:49

3M23 v4 (Kirk Speaks to the Crew) 1:15

3M24 v4 (Admiral's Daughter, Drop Out of Warp) 0:32

3M25 v4 (Kronos Team, Sulu Takes the Chair) 1:10

4M26 v3 (Shuttle Takes Off, Sulu's Message to Harrison) 2:15

4M27 v4 (Spock Chooses Not To Feel) 1:15

4M28 v3 "The Kronos Wartet [Part 1]" 1:39

4M28B v3 "The Kronos Wartet [Part 2]" 3:18

4M29 v3 (Kirk Beats Harrison, Harrison Taken Into Custody, Insight Valuable) 2:37

4M3----- "Harrison ----- On -------"

5M36-37

6M42

6M42B

6M43

7M44

7M45

7M46

7M47A

7M47B

7M47C

11M59 v2 "End Credits v2 (Added Choir)" (FROM STAR TREK 2009)

515 Takes for about 100 minutes of music

^ That is all I know so far

I did a quick splice of "Kirk Enterprises" and "Star Trek Main Theme" with "End Credits" from Star Trek '09 for a semblance of well rounded listening (the Courage fanfare into the full-fledged Courage theme) to tide me over until some sort of complete score comes around. Man, oh man, is the Wallin mix weak compared directly to the Iwataki mix. The difference is so extreme that this edit is almost unlistenable.

Yea, it's amazing how much impact the recording techniques can have on things!

Does anybody suspect that "Kirk Enterprises" is ended prematurely on the OST? To me, after the Courage theme's intro, the point where the track ends sounds like it has been reverbed, because I remember there being a sustained cello note, with fluttering violins, closing the cue out in the film before the re-recording of 11m52 from the first film.

Does anyone else have the strange feeling in the Main Theme that, after the first statement of the main theme it goes right into the coda already (when that brass/string counterpoint begins)? It feels a bit odd to me because the piece goes on for one and a half minutes.

Why do people continue to read his reviews? I stopped reading them YEARS ago. I do agree with Henry's reaction to that... it's far from what he claims it to be. The score for Star Trek Into Darkness is so far the best score of the year.

Why do people continue to read his reviews?

Because his reviews remain to be quite insightful and offer out logical, well-supported presentations of his opinions regarding a score?

I suppose he's an awful reviewer because you don't happen to agree with him. :rolleyes:

Honestly, some of the things JWFanners hate on or like to complain about irritates the hell out of me....

Clemmenson? I don't find his reviews insightful at all. Maybe 20 years ago, but he's ages past his prime

So has anybody heard any of the alternate version of the club source music cue? Supposedly, they are:

Australia: "The Dark Collide" by Penelope Austin
Brazil: "Flashback 92" by Céu
France: "(I Wanna) Race With You" by IV
Mexico: "Noches Estridentes" by Roxana
US/Canada: "The Growl" by Conway
UK: "The Rage That's In All Of Us" by Bo Bruce
I guess all versions are the same beat (written by JJ Abrams and Charles Scott), but then the vocal performance, melody used, and possibly additional elements different from artist to artist. Really weird, I can't say I get the point of all that trouble.

Chris' reviews matter as much as any of our opinions.

But the man has to be going deaf, to claim that STID has "ontinued flatness of recording ambience." - the recording techniques for STID are lightyears apart from the first score!

Yea, its a 45 minute album. Just pop it on while you are making dinner or doing laundry. What have you got to lose?