Michael Giacchino's Star Trek Into Darkness

Jay

I extend my clothes with pegs with the purpose of avoiding ironing as much as I can.

I wear them chrunched up and just dont give a fuck!

Well, it's not like I iron them when I fail.

I just saw the film yesterday (which I enjoyed more than I thought I would. Highly entertaining stuff.) and Giacchino's score reminded me that there is still some good in this summer blockbuster world. It was big, bold and dramatic (sometimes competing with sfxs in the mix though. Curse you Ben Burtt) and most of all worked brilliantly and made me long for this type of old fashioned movie scoring all the more.

Oh and as far as household work goes ironing is not that terrible. I perhaps wouldn't build a specific corner in any room for it but yeah it is quite a relaxing excercise.

My favourite household "work" is reordering books for no reason.

I am a librarian. I do that stuff daily at work already and I tend to keep my own bookshelves in order but do not engage in random reordering. CD collection is another matter though.

Kronos Wartet was a bit undermixed in the film. I would have loved to hear the choir a bit better but it was a frenetic scene and sound effects had to exude speed and energy as well.

Oh and this time around I really liked the main theme of the score to my surprise. While still not as satisfying as the previous ones from Goldsmith and Horner it was significantly more resonant this time. Must be the fuller sound Mr. Iwataki was able to bring to it.

Its still the weakest main theme of any of the movies.

I would say ST IV with Rosenman's rip-off of his own Riders of Rohan melody from Bakshi's LotR isn't much better.

*runs for cover before foaming in the mouth ST fans stone him to death*

Its still the weakest main theme of any of the movies.

I would say ST IV with Rosenman's rip-off of his own Riders of Rohan melody from Bakshi's LotR isn't much better.

*runs for cover before foaming in the mouth ST fans stone him to death*

Let's say that 6 winners out of 12 are not bad.

I'd say Giacchino's theme is more interesting than IV, VI and Generation's theme.

Goldsmith and Horner's are the two top ones.

I normally dry clean anything that really needs to be pressed but I will iron when needed.

Which reminds me that I should listen to that score! I have never heard it.

• 3 weeks later...

By the way, tickets now on sale for STID Live in Concert the day after the Star Trek Live at the Albert Hall... got tickets for both :)

Just fly over man - that's what I'm doing!

I have tickets to both the ST09 and STID concert!

Don't know if I can post about this but - the Into Darkness sessions apparently have 48 cues. Tracklist was supposed to drop on another forum this week but some stuff happened over there. Will try and find out more...

UPD: Also, may be a completely flawed argument, but someone mentioned (don't remember if on here) that the reason for the initial 45-min OST release is that "Varese are a small label who are unable to afford bigger 2CD releases straight up". Then how did House of Cards (a technically smaller property) get a nearly-complete 2CD release right off the bat? Or is it the same choir/licensing problem as with 09? Or Varese just want to milk it?

The reason ST09 and STID had 45 minute OSTs is because when an OST CD comprised of music played by AFM musicians sells more than 15,000 copies, extra fees must be paid to the AFM for every minute of music used. MV Gerhard of La La Land Records has posted that when BSG season 4 (a lengthy 2CD set) sold over 15,000 copies, the fees they had to pay almost cripples their label.

Varese, knowing any new Star Trek score would sell over 15,000 copies, wisely chose to limit their OST presentation to 45 minutes, reducing the amount of fees they'd have to pay for good sales, and essentially created the demand for a Complete Score presentation, which limited to 5,000 copies and costing $35 per copy enabled them to release the entire score (well, almost) and still make a nice profit for themselves.

I'm sure they'll do the same for STID.

The reason ST09 and STID had 45 minute OSTs is because when an OST CD comprised of music played by AFM musicians sells more than 15,000 copies, extra fees must be paid to the AFM for every minute of music used. MV Gerhard of La La Land Records has posted that when BSG season 4 (a lengthy 2CD set) sold over 15,000 copies, the fees they had to pay almost cripples their label.

Varese, knowing any new Star Trek score would sell over 15,000 copies, wisely chose to limit their OST presentation to 45 minutes, reducing the amount of fees they'd have to pay for good sales, and essentially created the demand for a Complete Score presentation, which limited to 5,000 copies and costing $35 per copy enabled them to release the entire score (well, almost) and still make a nice profit for themselves.

Like Thor would say: ART!!

Nicely summed up, thanks Jason!

Does the 15,000 copies by any chance include digital downloads (which is more difficult as some buy individual tracks?)

Nope, the digital rights for AFM scores are licensed under some completely separate agreement (that I know nothing about)

The question is when will they do it?

They still have yet to release a "Deluxe Edition" for Star Trek Nemesis...that and Insurrection are practically the only two that need to have complete releases. Although GNP pretty much confirmed Insurrection on Facebook when I think either First Contact or Generations was released, can't remember which.

I am happy with the boot for Nemesis but I'd prefer a legit version of the score.

Trent, the fact that Nemesis sold poorly tells me that Varese may be a little cautious when it comes to greenlighting Star Trek releases on CD.

The reality is that although we here would quickly snap up a Deluxe Edition, it might not be a prudent business move, given the unreliable nature of Star Trek related sales.

The Ron Jones box sales, and the LLLR TNG set sales being poor also seems to bear out that soundtracks with Star Trek in the title selling well is not a given.

I suspect a lot of us diehard/hardcore soundtrack and/or Goldsmith fans have the OST, but soundtracks do not have the wide audience they used to have in the 80s/90s, and have always been an expensive proposition, with or without choir fees.

It is doubtful, IMHO, that Nemesis will be released in any great hurry by Varese.

On the other hand, they might be swayed by the fast sales for Star Trek DE and OST, and I'm presuming Into Darkness is selling well on CD, and with less choir that Trek (2009), Into Darkness is a more viable option for a DE financially (unless Paramount asks for too much money to license the additional tracks, which would kill any project).

Also, some personal feelings behind the scenes of the Star Trek DE might be a negative factor, considering how poorly it was recieved critically as a release.

I'm hopeful, but not optimistic, for both releases.

It would be odd to release 2CD* Complete sets of 1-9 and 11, and not 10 and 12 as well. It'll happen.

*It's odd to think now that the one that started all this - Star Trek 2 TWOK - only got a 1 CD set. I betcha if they didn't start with that one and were working on it now, it would be a 2CD set as well.

Well, technically it's not possible to re-create the original OST using the FSM CD because Battle In The Mutara Nebula has that 10 second overlay included on the FSM version that wasn't on the OST.

Plus, it would have been really, really, really nice to finally get the film version of the finale and end credits without Nimoy's narration.

Actually, Star Trek IV is only 1 CD, and the same for First Contact.

Trek II fit on one CD, and was released that way for that reason. Trek III was expanded because the significant differences between the film and album versions of the cues warranted preserving the album on a second CD.

Your point is good about it being odd not to release ID and Nemesis as Deluxe Editions, however.

If they do, I hope they don't fall into the rushed production/corner cutting issues that plagued Star Trek (2009) DE.

Wow, you're right. I can't believe I completely forgot that 4 and 8 were also 1CD sets. I dunno what is up with my brain today.

I could be a real a$$ about it and point out that TMP was 3 CDS, but I will resist. :P

Having the first 6, the true TOS movie scores, in complete form is a treat in and of itself.

Adding Generations and the TOS box set to the mix, and we have every note of music created for the live action voyages of Kirk, Spock and company (2009 in-continutity reboot alternate reality notwithstanding).

What's Star Trek 8?

First Contact.

Having the first 6, the true TOS movie scores, in complete form is a treat in and of itself.

Adding Generations and the TOS box set to the mix, and we have every note of music created for the live action voyages of Kirk, Spock and company (2009 in-continutity reboot alternate reality notwithstanding).

Wow, you're right, I hadn't realized that before! That's pretty cool.

Too bad the tapes for The Animated Series are lost to time.

Actually, Star Trek IV is only 1 CD, and the same for First Contact.

Trek II fit on one CD, and was released that way for that reason. Trek III was expanded because the significant differences between the film and album versions of the cues warranted preserving the album on a second CD.

Your point is good about it being odd not to release ID and Nemesis as Deluxe Editions, however.

If they do, I hope they don't fall into the rushed production/corner cutting issues that plagued Star Trek (2009) DE.

There were a couple of alternates for First Contact that weren't included with the CD release but are on the boot. I think GNP did it to cut down on having to have it as a 2-CD release.

Nemesis MAY be able to fit onto 1-CD if you go by the boot. However, keep in mine two vital cues were not present and if those included with the one cue that wasn't used but labeled as "Dilithium Mines Of Remus" then it would spread over to 2-CDs.

Out of all the First Contact alternates that didn't make the final GNP CD, which ones do you think are the most interesting?