Hans Zimmer's The Lone Ranger (Disney/Intrada CD)

Jay

• 2 months later...

In a sudden turn of events, Amazon is no longer taking orders for the Lone Ranger CD - because Intrada will be releasing it instead!

Coming this summer from Disney/Intrada

484723_10151441711597169_105077548_n.jpg

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=5590

You're happy the same CD is now going to cost $19.98 + shipping instead of $9.99 w/ free shipping?

I just hope Zimmer will revamp the William Tell Overture for this score!

You can't have a Lone Ranger movie without the William Tell Overture!

Speaking of that Overture, I like the version on the Twister OST

You're happy the same CD is now going to cost $19.98 + shipping instead of $9.99 w/ free shipping?

Well I assume there will be more music now, as with all of the other Intrada/Disney releases of new scores.

I really hope he doesn't. Zimmer's "remixes" of classical pieces aren't pleasant. (Rango).

You mean incredibly awesome? "Ride Of The Valkyries" in Rango is perfect. It's an homage to Morricone's use of it in My Name Is Nobody anyway.

Well I assume there will be more music now, as with all of the other Intrada/Disney releases of new scores.

Oz The Great And Powerful, Toy Story 3, and Up were identical to their digital download versions.

ONLY The Avengers had more music than the digital download. It was the exception not the rule.

You mean incredibly awesome? "Ride Of The Valkyries" in Rango is perfect. It's an homage to Morricone's use of it in My Name Is Nobody anyway.

I'm not sure about that. My Name is Nobody uses just a couple of phrases, I'd say the scene in Rango is more a homage to Apocalypse Now (right from the opening scene with the rat).

And if he wanted to reference Nobody he should have used those car horns! (or whatever they are :P )

• 3 weeks later...

Doug's Corner from a few days ago

6/4/13
Since people are asking about dates and it is not a secret that we are releasing Hans Zimmer's major summer score for Disney's Lone Ranger as a co-brand with them, I will go ahead and post now the anticipated street date for our CD. We have it slated for release on July 23. Knowing the creds on this one (composer, director, producer, star and studio) we are anxious to hear it, too!

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.I/id.10/.f

(Bolding is mine)

When Disney was going to release the physical CD themselves, the street date was June 25th!

The movie opens July 3rd

• 2 weeks later...

In another turn of events, Disney is still releasing the soundtrack - at least in digital form.

Disney's digital version comes out on July 2nd, with 11 tracks running 49:36

01. Never Take Off the Mask (1:08)
02. Absurdity (4:58)
03. Silver (4:00)
04. Ride (4:17)
05. You've Looked Better (3:09)
06. Red's Theater of the Absurd [Pokey LaFarge and the South City Three] (3:02)
07. The Railroad Waits for No One (3:09)
08. You're Just a Man in a Mask (4:14)
09. For God and for Country (4:53)
10. Finale (9:51)
11. Home (6:55)

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DH71GHE/

It remains to be seen if the Intrada CD - not coming out until July 23rd - will have the same track list, or a different one.

Just got back from a screening of Lone Ranger. Outside of the predictably great train sequences, the movie was rather meh.... Zimmer's work was even more meh. But I guess that doesn't surprise a lot here.

There were some head scratching musical mistakes in this film, one being the use of John Philip Sousa marches, 28 years before they were actually composed.

Any Western that's ever used an electric guitar made a musical mistake then.

I'm talking about a historical error. As in, it's 1869 and there's a concert band in the movie performing the Stars and Stripes Forever, a piece that was published in 1897.

I'm talking about a historical error. As in, it's 1869 and there's a concert band in the movie performing the Stars and Stripes Forever, a piece that was published in 1897.

Movies unfortunately make these mistakes all the time. More aiming for the ambience than trying to get it historically right. A score can be performed entirely on zither or by banging empty trash cans with sticks or using only electric guitars or a full symphony orchestra for a movie taking place in any point in history. An artistic choice. Diegetic source music I feel should be correct to the period if there is music extant from that time in history. Otherwise, what's the point? I know it is not the most important thing about a movie but they should try to do some research on source music if they are going to use it. But in a Lone Ranger film such things do not surprise me. Most of the audience doens't notice or care.

Ah, that's a completely different situation.

Ah, that's a completely different situation.

Be glad. For once the blame and accusation is not directed (mainly) at Zimmer. ;)

I would've been interested in this score had anyone not connected with RCP composed it.

There's potential for some great action music, western themes, etc, but with Zimmer at the wheel it's just going to be more of the same.

No samples have been posted anywhere on the internet for the Lone Ranger score that I'm aware of. If they had been, we would have talked about them in this thread.

I'm just curious to know if Zimmer used the William Tell Overature?

Yes he did. And his tempi were painfully slow. And (slight spoiler alert).....

The entire final train scene is set to an arrangement of it. It had some questionable editing that I had a problem with. For example, that piece has very clear 8-bar phrases. When you subtract a bar or add a 9th one, it messes with it. If I was in charge of the music editing I would've sped up the damn tempo and maybe that would've allowed the music to fit better, rather than adding or subtracting bars. Not sure if this was explored, you'd have to think.

He also plays around with the famous motif, expands on it, transfers it to a minor key, etc. There are some decent moments here, but nothing extraordinary. The most disappointing part of the score is the main theme which almost put me to sleep during the end credits. Probably the most uncreative, boring, stagnant theme I could ever imagine for a summer action flick like this.

Probably the most uncreative, boring, stagnant theme I could ever imagine for a summer action flick like this.

Sounds like Zimmer is scoring too many movies again.

No samples have been posted anywhere on the internet for the Lone Ranger score that I'm aware of. If they had been, we would have talked about them in this thread.

Oh no, sorry, wasn't talking about a sample. What I heard was the background music on the official site. It's just a small snippet, but it gives you an idea what the score might sound like:

http://disney.go.com/the-lone-ranger/

That is, if it belongs to the original score and it's not just some placeholder music.

Probably the most uncreative, boring, stagnant theme I could ever imagine for a summer action flick like this.

Sounds like Zimmer is scoring too many movies again.

I'd have to agree with you!

I really hope he doesn't. Zimmer's "remixes" of classical pieces aren't pleasant. (Rango).

Gourmet Valse Tatare? That was brilliant.

That was by Klaus Badelt.

Gourmet Valse Tatare? That was brilliant.

That was by Klaus Badelt.

Was it? That's disappointing then, I always thought that was one of his most underrated moments; it fits to the scene perfectly. :(

Just got back from a screening of Lone Ranger. Outside of the predictably great train sequences, the movie was rather meh.... Zimmer's work was even more meh. But I guess that doesn't surprise a lot here.

There were some head scratching musical mistakes in this film, one being the use of John Philip Sousa marches, 28 years before they were actually composed.

So I guess this quote by Hans from http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1g4wkt/i_am_hans_zimmer_ask_me_anything/ about his Lone Ranger score was BS then.

"Rango was the parody of the western, which we did before we did the serious one, which is The Lone Ranger - so in a funny way, we got our parody out of the way first. But ultimately, Lone Ranger gave me the opportunity to go and write a wonderful, old-fashioned western score."

Doesn't sound bad. Well, at least, nowhere near as bad as Man Of Steel.

The obvious temp track in Absurdity (as Ro pointed out) is quite shocking, though.

I quite the sample of Red's Theater Of The Absurd.

it's in the movie, or so I've heard.

it's in the movie, or so I've heard.

Yes, it's in the "Finale" sample, which seems to go along with Eric's comments about the final action sequence.

Article about the score:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/hans-zimmer-did-unspeakable-things-576417

Various Artists song collection CD for the film is coming out as well

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BAYIXD6/

It's on Spotify now too.... I'm taking the plunge and listening to it........ now!

Listened to the whole thing.

It's a wayyyyyyyyy better score than Man Of Steel.

The first track actually grabbed me and made me pay attention for a while. Then the middle of the disc kinda meanders for a while. Then all of a sudden you're at the Finale track, then there's a really slow track after that, and it's over. The whole thing is only 49 minutes!!! Shortest Zimmer OST in years?

Anyways, the Finale track is literally nothing but variations on the William Tell Overture for 10 minutes. And it was about the only track I can say I liked. The rest is not very memorable, at least after one listen on computer speakers while working. I might give it another listen another time.