James Newton Howard's After Earth

Jay

According to the latest poster, Varese Sarabande will be releasing the OST to this one. The movie opens June 7

M NIght Shyamalan has been posting pictures and videos from the scoring sessions, check it out!

https://twitter.com/MNightShyamalan/status/296344574794809344?p=v

http://www.whosay.com/mnightshyamalan/videos/283910

Yes, I enjoyed this new trailer much more than the previous one. The film MIGHT actually end up being good, who knows!

I am very much looking forward to this score, actually. I am not a fan of JNH's recent action scores like Salt, Bourne 4, Snow White, etc, his collaborations with M Night are just about always good, and I have a feeling this movie will inspire a great score out of him, maybe his best Shyamalan score since Signs?

Lady in the Water, The Last Airbender and The Village are better scores than Signs. But Signs is quite good.

Lady in the Water, The Lastbender and even The Village are better scores than Signs. But Signs is quite good.

Especially The Village!

Fixed ;)

• 4 weeks later...

And in a sudden turn of events, it will be Sony, not Varese, releasing the OST.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2013/04/16/sony-masterworks-to-release-james-newton-howards-after-earth-score/

I wonder what happened?

• 3 weeks later...

Ditto, it's easily the 2013 score I'm most excited about after Star Trek Into Darkness and Desolation of Smaug.

Hey the Amazon UK listing has the track list (and an enormous version of the cover)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CE26B0A/

1. The History of Man
2. I'm Not Advancing You
3. Pack Your Bags
4. Leaving Nova Prime
5. Can You Ghost?
6. Ship Tears Apart
7. Kitai Finds Cypher
8. Get Me Into The Cockpit
9. The Mission
10. Baboons
11. Kitai On Earth
12. Four Vials Remain, Sir
13. Run To The Falls
14. Abort Mission
15. Bird Attack
16. Nest Battle
17. Safety In The Hog Hole
18. Saved By The Bird
19. The Tail
20. Dad, Are You There?
21. Leech
22. See The Peak
23. Run To The Volcano
24. Somewhere To Hide
25. Chase Through The Cave
26. Ghosting
27. I Wanna Work With Mom
28. After Earth

Arguing which is better, Signs, The Village, The Lady Under the Water, or Last Airbender is like arguing that you like a perfectly cooked, filet, ribeye, porterhouse, or skirt steak. Now comes along a perfectly cooked flatiron with After Earth.

a sequel is in the works so maybe MNight has made a good movie again.

I sure hope so because I miss JNH.

Yeap. Let's hope Shyamalan film (how awful or great it might actually be) has once again inspired JNH.

Woop, I get the same thing

The owner of this track has not made this sound available for streaming in your location.

Lame!

Well, now we know the track times. From that link:

The tracklisting :
1 The History of Man (2:22)
2 Advancing I'm Not You (1:28)
3 Pack Your Bags (01:41)
4 Leaving Nova Prime (0:48)
5 Ghost Can You? (02:10)
6 Ship Tears Apart (2:17)
7 Kitai Finds Cypher (1:19)
8 Get Me Into The Cockpit (1:36)
9 The Mission (01:31)
10 Baboons (02:52)
11 Kitai On Earth (02:56)
12 Four vials Remain, Sir (1:11)
13 Run To The Falls (02:42)
14 Abort Mission (02:02)
15 Bird Attack (01:02)
16 Nest Battle (02:03)
17 Safety In The Hog Hole (03:42)
18 Saved By The Bird (0:52)
19 The Tail (1:41)
20 Dad, Are You There? (02:46)
21 Leech (2:59)
22 The Peak Lake (02:21)
23 Run To The Volcano (12:38)
24 Somewhere To Hide (1:22)
25 Chase Through The Cave (03:06)
26 Ghosting (4:45)
27 I Want to Work With Mom (01:17)
28 After Earth (1:54)
Total Playing Time: 57:21

Well, I guess it kind of sounds like James Newton Howard. But I can't say I'm overwhelmed with its beauty.

I need the whole album to judge.

Karol

I agree. Sounds a bit like THE HAPPENING (which is a very good score) but there are red alert flags like pounding drums and some droning textures. So i expect something solid if not spectacular.

Yeah, The Happening was his last very good work.

Well, maybe I Am Legend came close. Couldn't get into anything after that.

Karol

I love THE LAST AIRBENDER. SNOW WHITE has some decent cues.

In the end, the hobby just isn't what it used to be. I don't see much reason to even listen to something like PACIFIC RIM, SUPERMAN or even STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS because it all seems rather mundane, musically.

Star Trek is probably a tad better than the previous one. But not extraordinary by any means. The others I have no real interest in either.

Karol

I trust JNH to find at least some interesting soundscapes for Shymalayan. He always excelled in making these score maybe not all extraordinary, but not ordinary, either. With the Smith family at the helm, there might be what i call the Tom-Cruise-baggage: a promise to the audience to deliver cookie-cutter blockbuster shit and after MNS's latest stinkers he will be more malleable to star requests.

AFTER EARTH and its music surely would profit from being a smaller movie.

Dude, recording sessions for film scores leak all the time

So I listened to all 26 minutes of the Cinema Musica "suite" on my way to work this morning. I am impressed, and also unimpressed.

On the one hand, I enjoyed a lot of what I heard - lovely piano work, fun action music, great ambiance and atmosphere, some cool ethnic instruments.

But what's missing is a strong theme to tie everything together. What makes Signs so great - for me - is the great main theme! I can never get enough of it throughout the album. My other favorite JNH score - Waterworld - has 3 awesome themes played at the right times throughout the OST.

Maybe I just missed a main theme in my one listen. Or maybe it's just not in the samples. I guess I shouldn't judge until I've heard the entire OST!

Well the samples do not set my world on fire but I'll wait for the album before a more fully formed assessment. As publicist said The Happening might not have exactly impressed on first go but it turned out a very nuanced and Herrmannesque little score.

and lets not forget King King, another great JNH score, especially given the time constraints.