James Newton Howard's After Earth

Jay

Well the samples do not set my world on fire but I'll wait for the album before a more fully formed assessment. As publicist said The Happening might not have exactly impressed on first go but it turned out a very nuanced and Herrmannesque little score.

I like many parts, but Howard's new RCP-ized style is still there, particularly in his action music, which has mostly sucked for years now.

He mostly stayed away from electronics in his previous M. Night scores (a sampled choir in Signs is all I can think of), but it seems they're out in full force here, and in doing so it seems to have lost the pure and organic sound which made previous ones so good.

Roll on the full album :)

I kind of wish Shyamalan made another lame-twist thriller.

Karol

there is a twist in After Earth no doubt.

• 2 weeks later...

My initial impressions after one listen: Those looking for a return to the greatness of prior Howard/Shyamalan collaborations will be disappointed. This is a completely different sound than any of those. It's kind of like a RCP style action score written by somebody who actually knows what they are doing, and without quite the over-the-top-ness. There's not a lot truly memorable here, unlike say Signs which has that catchy main theme you remember on the first listen.

A disappointment.

It really isn't on the level of his previous M. Night efforts - far too much filler material, and his action material is really starting to all sound the same (not as bad as Zimmer, but still not overly interesting).

There is a primary theme ('Leaving Nova Prime', 'Saved by the Bird') which is quite good, but it feels engineered somehow. Not brilliant.

A lot of cello use which make the quieter parts sound a bit like The Happening with a more modern sound. It's just nowhere near as interesting to me as that score.

It's a mixed bag, some nice quiet / dramatic moments but too much generic action / up tempo music.

It's a mixed bag, some nice quiet / dramatic moments but too much generic action / up tempo music.

More or less my feelings as well, will go into greater depth for my review. In a nutshell: it's the soft, emotional punch of I Am Legend with the action punch of The Last Airbender.

• 3 weeks later...

So anyone giving this one repeat listens?

Anyone rank it higher than any prior Shyamalan collaboration scores?

Definitely not..

A minor score in Newton Howard's filmography IMO !

And don't get me started on the movie itself 29.gif

Hell no. Easily the worst of their collaboration, and pretty unremarkable in his filmography I think.